PDA

View Full Version : How can one get access to a US-based cell number that accepts text/SMS?

hanzj
April 10th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Hello,

There is a site that needs a U.S. cellphone for registration. They will send a text message to the cellphone with a short number code.

How can one get (temporary) access to a US cellphone number to receive just one text?

Thanks.

Note: Google Voice does not work for this.

myusername
April 10th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Hello,

There is a site that needs a U.S. cellphone for registration. They will send a text message to the cellphone with a short number code.

How can one get (temporary) access to a US cellphone number to receive just one text?

Thanks.

ummmm..... isn't that illegal?

oxf
April 10th, 2010, 10:37 PM
ummmm..... isn't that illegal?

I know what the OP means and I don't think trying to be illegal. There may be some sevice like the ones that link FAX to email except for mobile phones

bsharp
April 10th, 2010, 10:49 PM
My first thought is to sign up for a Google Voice account located in a US city.

themarker0
April 10th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Pay someone.

eriktheblu
April 10th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Prepaid phone would be the way to go if you're just using it for this one thing.

I don't think Facebook is worth it though.

hanzj
April 10th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I have Google Voice, but it won't work. It needs to be cell phone number that can receive SMS in the format XXXXXXXXXXX@cellphoneco.com (where X is the phone number).

hanzj
April 10th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Yes, this is a possibility. We'd be willing to pay someone, as you suggested. Do you know anybody who can use $1 (paid via PayPal)?

Lightstar
April 10th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Eh.. yeah.. 3 months ago my girlfriend tried to make a gmail account, and it requires a cell phone with text messages for the verification. I didn't ask me for it when I made mine over a year ago.

I emailed them a complain, I think it's stupid. (yeah, even in this day and age, I do not own a cell phone)

It even said "if you do not own a cell phone, ask a friend". What kind of BS is that?

Anyway, I also wish there was a website that could capture text/sms messages. And I do not think it should be illegal.

tica vun
April 10th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Hello,

Thanks.

If they request a US cellphone, that's probably because they want it to be a US-only site.

lisati
April 10th, 2010, 11:44 PM
If they request a US cellphone, that's probably because they want it to be a US-only site.

I'm surprised that if they wanted it to be US-only they haven't put in place some kind of check in their system which displays a message in the browser, "I'm sorry, this offer is only available to people in the US"

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 11th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I'm curious to know what site it is that you need to receive an text message from? Many of us would be hesitant to give our personal phone number to an untrustworthy source.

CharlesA
April 11th, 2010, 01:07 AM
I know my bank does, but it is either SMS or email to the address/phone number on file for security reasons.

I know of no other sites that do it.

Kdar
April 11th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Hello,

Thanks.

Never mind. You tried Google Voice.

new_tolinux
April 11th, 2010, 01:10 AM
I'm curious to know what site it is that you need to receive an text message from? Many of us would be hesitant to give our personal phone number to an untrustworthy source.
Try to sign up for a new gmail-account. ;)

Wiebelhaus
April 11th, 2010, 01:11 AM
googlevoice? (https://www.google.com/voice)

steveneddy
April 11th, 2010, 03:45 AM
What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

steveneddy
April 13th, 2010, 03:33 AM
The OP sent this to me in PM.

hello,
you asked what i'm trying to accomplish.

basically there's a site that requires a cell number. google voice does not work. they'll send a short code via sms. it's basically just for a one-time verification.

I don't know what country you are in, but sometimes I've seen SMS cards for your cell phone available overseas with a US based phone number.

Hope that helps and I also hope that you aren't trying to do something illegal.

hanzj
April 13th, 2010, 03:53 AM
gvoice doesn't work.

drreed
April 13th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Hello,

Thanks.

Note: Google Voice does not work for this.

Can't you configure skype or something? If it was an i.p. phone would they know on the other end?

hanzj
April 13th, 2010, 07:06 AM
skype, just like google voice, can receive text messages, but the registration sms/text is sent in the an email format XXXYYYZZZZ@phonecarriercompany.com (where XXXYYYZZZZ is the cell number).

Google Voice does not have this. I don't think Skype does either.

drreed
April 13th, 2010, 07:12 AM

gmail used to work exactly like that. You couldn't get a free gmail account without a cellphone that accepted text messages. I'm 52 and think texting is stupid, and so is using a keyboard thats too small for a pencil eraser, let alone my thumbs. I don't get it. Send me an email. I wouldn't have text messages on a phone because it would anger me. In fact, I seem to remember sending google a nasty email over that issue. The kids love it, so their phones are loaded up with minutes for texting. You could'nt pay me to take one.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 13th, 2010, 07:14 AM
You messaged me but you failed to say what site you needed this for specifically. I'm a little worried by the fact that you're trying so hard to avoid saying which website this is for.