PDA

View Full Version : is this worth it?

myusername
April 10th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I am setting up a small media center for my bedroom. nothing fancy. but the place I work at recently just got an HP Pavilion a6642p. its used and they're going to sell it for $200. what I want to know is if its worth it.

cariboo
April 10th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Seeing as Microsoft licenses are non-transferable, that's a lot of money for a system without an operating system, unless the price includes a new license.

new_tolinux
April 10th, 2010, 11:12 PM
AFAIK licenses are per-machine, and non-transferable to another machine. Not non-transferable when the machine switches owner.

However, it can be that the license-number is disabled because the company used a Volume License and reported all the unused license-keys (in order to get a refund or pay less).

The Real Dave
April 10th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Are the specs I'm finding right? A 2.5Ghz Pentium, with 6GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD? If so, that seems good value to me. Then again, I'm not American, and can't really judge what's good value over there.

myusername
April 11th, 2010, 12:02 AM
licenses are per machine not per person. and yes i do believe those are the correct specs

bear24rw
April 11th, 2010, 12:38 AM
for 200 bucks i would (did) get this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228&cm_re=revo-_-83-103-228-_-Product

i just got one and it plays 1080p with mplayer+vdpau really nice

wojox
April 11th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Why are then selling it if they just recently got it? :-k

cariboo
April 11th, 2010, 12:47 AM
According to this the license is transferable one time to another person:

13. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms.

So according to the above, if the original owner transfered the license to your employer, they don't (your employer) have the right to transfer the license again.

dgw
April 11th, 2010, 01:55 AM
What do Microsoft licences have to do with this? :confused:

And yeah, that sounds good for those specs.

dragos240
April 11th, 2010, 02:05 AM
...............Because despite your violent behavior.... the only thing you've managed to break so far..... is my heart....
I would say so.

cariboo
April 11th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I'd say it was a little over priced, as it is not legally usable.

Uncle Spellbinder
April 11th, 2010, 02:53 AM
It's only "not legally usable" if you by into all this Microsoft license transfer stuff. If I were to buy this computer, the first thing I'd do is reformat and install Lucid beta 2.

oxf
April 11th, 2010, 03:06 AM
It's only "not legally usable" if you by into all this Microsoft license transfer stuff. If I were to buy this computer, the first thing I'd do is reformat and install Lucid beta 2.

Precisely! When I first read this I had to wonder why all the obsession with the microsoft Eula. It seems strange that Linux users are quibling/defending the finer points of a MS EULA. .

cariboo
April 11th, 2010, 03:06 AM
I agree, I'm trying to give the op a reason for getting it for less money.

oxf
April 11th, 2010, 03:10 AM
I agree, I'm trying to give the op a reason for getting it for less money.

OK good point!

myusername
April 13th, 2010, 08:47 AM
the license has nothing to do with it anyway. i work at a computer store that sells their own licenses. so its pretty much the same as going to best buy and getting a computer already running windows

Khakilang
April 13th, 2010, 09:09 AM
If it come with 24" LCD screen that it is worth buying. Don't worry about licensing except you can use it as a bargaining chips. To what I know over here sell at around rm200.00 (rm3.50 to US$1.00 est.). You do the math.

kryxus
April 13th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I am setting up a small media center for my bedroom. nothing fancy. but the place I work at recently just got an HP Pavilion a6642p. its used and they're going to sell it for $200. what I want to know is if its worth it.

It depends on youself:guitar: