PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 instal & other questions.

colintivy
April 10th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Hi beta.tester,

Saw your answer to joachim today which I did not want to hijack but some parts were relevant. But thought that you might like to help me. (Moderators might like to link or not?)

Firstly, am right in thinking 10.04 is the next LTS?. I am still running 8.04 (fully updated) and prefer the LTS route rather than having 6 monthly updates plus the associated niggles that they seem to acquire.

I intend to backup my /home and probably move it to a separate partition while I am at it. So far I have a 16GB USB Thumb which I have formatted to ext3 and which has a "Lost & Found" directory (empty) as a result. What is the best way to copy my /home to it?

What are the implications of using ext4 formats which might be a consequence of 10.04?

I have been having trouble with my keyboard (UK Notebook 1998 vintage which seems to cope with 8.04 satisfactorily) Recently I had a "Error activating XKB configuration" X.Org Foundation 10400090. I have tried to reconfig this but without any success. I have lost Shift3 (GBP Symbol) and also pipe (?bar) Symbol (Alt Gr + key to left of 1). Is this likely to be updated in 10.04?

All efforts to find a solution in Forums here and elsewhere have not been very helpfull, particularly the latter problem which seems to have affected a lot of folk.

colintivy :confused::confused:

beta.tester
April 10th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hi beta.tester,

Saw your answer to joachim today which I did not want to hijack but some parts were relevant. But thought that you might like to help me. (Moderators might like to link or not?)

Firstly, am right in thinking 10.04 is the next LTS?. I am still running 8.04 (fully updated) and prefer the LTS route rather than having 6 monthly updates plus the associated niggles that they seem to acquire.

I intend to backup my /home and probably move it to a separate partition while I am at it. So far I have a 16GB USB Thumb which I have formatted to ext3 and which has a "Lost & Found" directory (empty) as a result. What is the best way to copy my /home to it?

What are the implications of using ext4 formats which might be a consequence of 10.04?

I have been having trouble with my keyboard (UK Notebook 1998 vintage which seems to cope with 8.04 satisfactorily) Recently I had a "Error activating XKB configuration" X.Org Foundation 10400090. I have tried to reconfig this but without any success. I have lost Shift3 (GBP Symbol) and also pipe (?bar) Symbol (Alt Gr + key to left of 1). Is this likely to be updated in 10.04?

All efforts to find a solution in Forums here and elsewhere have not been very helpfull, particularly the latter problem which seems to have affected a lot of folk.

colintivy :confused::confused:

Hi Colintivy

I think going the LTS route is very good unless you love the joys of seeing new features regularly and risking a lot on alphas/betas :)

As for the /home backup that is easy to do :) Just plug in your USB drive and copy all in /home to it. ie when you plug it in and it opens, goto PLaces => Home Folder, CTRL -A and copy all into the USB ramdrive folder.

I would stick with ext3 for now to be honest as it is proven and safe I have found (personal opinion :)

For the keyboard have you tried the setting in:
System => preferences => keyboard (both general and layout options, many configuration changes are hidden in there ;)

Please let me know if this helps and keep on Ubuntuing :)

Kind regards john

colintivy
April 22nd, 2010, 03:57 PM
Hi beta tester,

John,
Thanks for kind advice. Lots of time spent upon other things, now got time to come back to you.

I have established that 10.04 will be the next LTS, I certainly prefer the stability of the that and cannot fail to notice the troubles experienced and commented about in theses forums by those rushing to play with the newest manifestations.

Your advice on getting my/home onto the stick was entirely sound and it all sits there a file labelled homeBU which I created,thank you.

The keyboard problem is not so easy. I might be afraid that I have a malfunctioning 3 key that does not seem to accept the Shift press in that all I get is still the figure 3. However the fact that I also get the error message seems to tell me that there is an absence in a config file which might be cured by editing if I knew what to look for. I was mistaken in that the pipe symbol is still there (|) on Shift + key to the left of the space bar, which is something (elsewhere I used to use Shift+ key to left of 1). How that happened I do not know but the former combination is appaerently the normal one. I have tried all the three options for a UK keyboard without getting my pounds sign back. In ordinary text I can use the Character Map in Writer for it but no go in emails.

On the subject of this area of configuration, I am using a Genius PS2 optical mouse which works well, being detected automatically by the system but the scroll wheel is inert. Earlier versions of Ubuntu had the option of editing a config file to enable the wheel but this seems to have disappeared in 8.04, only the reversal of the handing of the click buttons for left-handed user is left. This is annoying leaving me to use the arrow buttons on the right-hand boundary to scroll pages up or down which can be fiddly. The mouse works perfectly on a Windows machine. Is there a file somewhere that could be edited here? All the earlier advice was only relevant to the earlier editions and did not work.

Sorry to go on like this but it helps if other's experience can be tapped.

Very kind regards,

colintivy :P:P

beta.tester
April 22nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
Hi beta tester,

John,
Thanks for kind advice. Lots of time spent upon other things, now got time to come back to you.

I have established that 10.04 will be the next LTS, I certainly prefer the stability of the that and cannot fail to notice the troubles experienced and commented about in theses forums by those rushing to play with the newest manifestations.

Your advice on getting my/home onto the stick was entirely sound and it all sits there a file labelled homeBU which I created,thank you.

The keyboard problem is not so easy. I might be afraid that I have a malfunctioning 3 key that does not seem to accept the Shift press in that all I get is still the figure 3. However the fact that I also get the error message seems to tell me that there is an absence in a config file which might be cured by editing if I knew what to look for. I was mistaken in that the pipe symbol is still there (|) on Shift + key to the left of the space bar, which is something (elsewhere I used to use Shift+ key to left of 1). How that happened I do not know but the former combination is appaerently the normal one. I have tried all the three options for a UK keyboard without getting my pounds sign back. In ordinary text I can use the Character Map in Writer for it but no go in emails.

On the subject of this area of configuration, I am using a Genius PS2 optical mouse which works well, being detected automatically by the system but the scroll wheel is inert. Earlier versions of Ubuntu had the option of editing a config file to enable the wheel but this seems to have disappeared in 8.04, only the reversal of the handing of the click buttons for left-handed user is left. This is annoying leaving me to use the arrow buttons on the right-hand boundary to scroll pages up or down which can be fiddly. The mouse works perfectly on a Windows machine. Is there a file somewhere that could be edited here? All the earlier advice was only relevant to the earlier editions and did not work.

Sorry to go on like this but it helps if other's experience can be tapped.

Very kind regards,

colintivy :P:P

Hi Colintivy

Apologies for the delay in writing but our grand daughter was rushed into hospital and only just well enough to go home yesterday, thank God!

OK I hope this may help:

For keyboard:

System => preferences => Keyboard => Layouts => add

Then select language (english :) then choose and select your "variant".

When all working ok, click on the "Apply System-wide" button, hopefully should fix it ;)

For the mouse system => preferences => mouse and adjust both pages hopefully.

Kind regards and keep on Ubuntuing john

colintivy
April 28th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Hi! beta.tester,

I hope that your grand daughter is making good progress, she must feel better to be home at the very least. I have the distiction (?) of having a great-great grandson who lives in Cumbria (not in the flood area!!) and is in robust good health.

I have not had much success in exploring my keyboard issue using the GUI methods, just a lot of the "Error activating XKB configuration" messages. I have not explored the two files mentioned ie. xprop -root | grep XKB or gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd. Is it best to do so by cat or an editor vi or gedit? The simple answer might be that I have got a faulty 3 key which does not "see" the Shift which will be sad (all the other Shift+Number keys are fine). The error message seems to indicate otherwise.

The mouse scroll wheel problem seems to be inescapable because 8.04 is too modern to have the facility for fiddling with it. May have to buy a Logitech one to work out of the box.

As I have said before, I am in the process of anticipating 10/04 by moving my /home to its own partition (why did the Live CD of 8.04 not do this by default?). I have printed out three different tutorials on doing this.. Kuznetsov,psychocats & Vedang.
Any preferences from experience or alternatives? I am aware of the possibilities of a monumental ****-up and have backed up the directory already.

colintivy :confused:

colintivy
May 2nd, 2010, 12:13 PM
Bump please!

colintivy

colintivy
May 10th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Bump again!