PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CPU 100% 24/7 with 10.04 64x latest Alpha

scifiskywatcher
April 10th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I'm running 10.04 64x on Quad Core AMD Black Edition CPU with latest Alpha release. I noticed after the last 2 updates my cpu is always @ 100% without reason. Anyone else having this problem and can offer a solution.

System monitor shows no process running full load. I have 4G of RAM. This starts from boot and continues the entire time.

Thanks. sorry guys new to this. I did not see anything in other related posts.

beta.tester
April 10th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I'm running 10.04 64x on Quad Core AMD Black Edition CPU with latest Alpha release. I noticed after the last 2 updates my cpu is always @ 100% without reason. Anyone else having this problem and can offer a solution.

System monitor shows no process running full load. I have 4G of RAM. This starts from boot and continues the entire time.

Thanks. sorry guys new to this. I did not see anything in other related posts.

Hi

Cannot guarantee what is happening as I am using Dual Core here and the latest beta (2)( with all the extra updates since it was launched and mine show about 3% on each cpu.

To update to the latest version, just go into:
System => Administration => Update Manager and check and apply all updates to bring you bang uptodate (It will probably ask for a system restart :)

Keep on Ubuntuing and kind regards john

ps let me know how it goes please.

scifiskywatcher
April 10th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks John. I did the updates and rebooted to no avail. Still maxed out and slower than a turtle on lsd. I did find something I missed and that is my turtle ate my swap partition. All hard drives report good health. Very bizarre to say the least and I did not find anything in any of the log files to elaborate on this mystery. No problem though, I know the risk when using beta releases. I'm going to re-install and start over.

uRock
April 10th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Can you copy and paste this command in a terminal, then paste the results here. When top is started, you can either take a screenshot of it or simply hit the Q key and that will stop the numbers and you can then copy them.

scifiskywatcher
April 10th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks uRock. I learned something new. I found out what was doing it. I have to admit stupidity and taking my razing now so have at me. It never occurred to me that software was running and would not show in system monitor, 'top' showed an application that was the culprit.

The culprit was BOINC. Evidently it runs constantly from boot to shutdown with no trace in the SM process tree. The curious thing was how it got there so I asked my smarter than a sixteen grader 8 y.o. about said software.

She installed it 2 days ago when this started happening after returning from a field trip to the science museum. I however was not informed. I agree with my wife it is time for her to build her own machine to tinker with. Her birthday is coming up so I am going to buy computer parts so she can build her own.

I appreciate the help here. Thank you.

I still do not know why the swap partition is missing.

uRock
April 10th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks uRock. I learned something new. I found out what was doing it. I have to admit stupidity and taking my razing now so have at me. It never occurred to me that software was running and would not show in system monitor, 'top' showed an application that was the culprit.

The culprit was BOINC. Evidently it runs constantly from boot to shutdown with no trace in the SM process tree. The curious thing was how it got there so I asked my smarter than a sixteen grader 8 y.o. about said software.

She installed it 2 days ago when this started happening after returning from a field trip to the science museum. I however was not informed. I agree with my wife it is time for her to build her own machine to tinker with. Her birthday is coming up so I am going to buy computer parts so she can build her own.

I appreciate the help here. Thank you.

I still do not know why the swap partition is missing.

Lol, no problem. If you want a more graphical version of "top", you can install HTOP and it has the ability to kill apps and such. It looks like the screenshot I attached. Your daughter may have deleted the partition if GParted is installed and she is a tech savvy as it sounds. My 6 year old has done some amazing things for her age on her ubuntu machine. We just got a hand me down Dell and put ubuntu on it, she is turning into a geek early, lol.

If you run
freein a terminal it will show if the swap exists or not. It is possible that something happened to turn it off, which would make it not show in the system monitor. Here is an example of the free command with swap working.
rabbit@rabbit-desktop:~$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1991624 1117064 874560 0 52800 310288
-/+ buffers/cache: 753976 1237648
Swap: 3927884 0 3927884

scifiskywatcher
April 11th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Thanks again Urock. I am going to install HTOP. It is nice to know I'm not alone with having a child that is a born & bred geek. I'm going to let her build her own machine by giving her a budget(a.k.a. b-day money) and see what she comes up with. We gave her our old laptop a e-machines that has metal hinges and 17" display, she is the only child in class with a ubuntu OS to do school work.

Regarding the swap I know she did not do anything. I was looking via google and it seems to be a problem still with the pre-release. It has to do with trying to do a disk encryption which was a big PIA but I got it working. I just never noticed it was not there until today. No big deal it will get fixed when it gets fixed.