PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to hide terminal window?

Kognit
April 10th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Hello

I am wondering if you run an application thrugh the terminal is there any option to hide a terminal window and at the same time the application won't close?

thx for the Help

bye

ackley
April 10th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Why not just run it by hitting alt+f2 & typing in exactly what you put in the terminal?

Save for "sudo" if it's a command like that, but gksu or kdesu would work.

Kognit
April 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Thank you for replying!

Yes, i have totally forgot about the "alt+F2" command. It works fine. But sometimes i need a terminal because some commands doesn't work in "alt+F2.

Is there any other way?

thanks for helping!

sisco311
April 10th, 2010, 04:10 PM
start it in the background:

command &
then run:

disownand close the terminal.

You can stop a foregrounded application with Ctrl+z, then start it in the background (foreground) with the bg (fg) command.

Kognit
April 10th, 2010, 04:18 PM
start it in the background:

command &
then run:

disownand close the terminal.

You can stop a foregrounded application with Ctrl+z, then start it in the background (foreground) with the bg (fg) command.

THANKS MAN!!
The "command &" and "disown" helped a lot. Thank you again.

ALT+Z and bg, fg don't find them useful for me.

Thanks again

sisco311
April 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM
THANKS MAN!!
The "command &" and "disown" helped a lot. Thank you again.

ALT+Z and bg, fg don't find them useful for me.

Thanks again

You're welcome!

I always forget to start apps in the background, so I have to stop & background them... :)

Kognit
April 10th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I have another question.

If i want to create a launcher in which a command is run through Terminal how should i write "command &" and "disown"?

sisco311
April 10th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I have another question.

If i want to create a launcher in which a command is run through Terminal how should i write "command &" and "disown"?

If you only want to run a command in bash, you don't have to start a terminal at all:

bash -c "command"

But, I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly.

Kognit
April 10th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I meant something different.
Suppose i want to create a launcher where the application would run through terminal (option "Application in Terminal"). So, how to write "command &" and "disown", for example fot the vlc player? I am asking this because i have some libraries for vlc and skype (because of my webcam flip problems) to run and i want to be able to close the terminal after this commands if i create launcher.

Actually i mean how to write in terminal multiple commands.I tried "command1 ; command2", but the catch is that the command2 runs only after command1 is finished, closed. I doesn't open consecutively. Actually it is strange - for example: id i write "gedit ; oowriter", first is opened gedit and after the gedit is closed, oowriter opens. But if i write "oowriter ; gedit", than both applications opens consecutively.

I hope that you understand me :)

hariks0
April 10th, 2010, 06:32 PM
You can use alltray for minimising the terminal [or any window] in to the system tray.