PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 (best way)

joachim10022
April 10th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I want to upgrade my existing 9.10 to 10.04 went it gets released.
As I am quite new in the Ubuntu/Linux world what would be the easiest/best way to update

Can the Ubuntu CD install over my existing ubuntu and keep my applications ie a upgrade from the CD???

PS: If I downloaded an app through the synaptic package manager, are the .deb still existing (where?) and can I copy these onto a external and install the apps on 10.04?

Thanks

beta.tester
April 10th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Hi Joachim

The best way would be via Update Manager (System => Admin => Update Manager IMHO :)

Welcome to Ubuntu it is great (but I am very biased :)

I would always advise you backup your /home directory and keep it safe (it has all your settings, Internet bookmarks, mail etc..

I am not related to in anyway to any product that follows but find them great and very helpful:

1) For Firefox the add-on Xmarks I find simply brilliant! It saves your bookmarks and passwords if required and enables you to restore to another machine and another Firefox if needed also.

2) I always recommend Evolution mailer for one simple reason, its backup and restore functions are 2nd to *none*. It generates a file called:
evolution-backup.tar.gz that contains not just your emails but all your mail settings! So if you had to reinstall, use the "install from a previous back" point to that file and puts everything back as it should do.

3) This is an option I only discovered about 6 weeks ago it is called Ubuntu Tweak and it a great all purpose GUI driven utility program that does everything from updating packages, to (with great care ;) removing redundant kernels and kernel entries in grub automatically :)

Hope this helps and keep on Ubuntuing john