PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mic not working on Acer 5290G

jaycee23
April 10th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I've got Karmic setup on my laptop and it works great but for the life of me I've ben unable to get the mic working on it. Works fine on its dual boot version of Windows 7. I've looked at alsamixer and the mic is simply not functioning. There seems to be no recongnition of the audio input from the mic.

Any ideas or even better has someone got it working on this laptop - BTW I've upgraded both the original HDD and RAM memory.

:(

jaycee23
April 11th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Bump

jaycee23
April 12th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Bump - again

leonardo_neo
April 12th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Bump - again

I am sorry buddy, I can understand your frustration. Actually there are some driver issues with Ubuntu which are really very difficult to fix. I too have similar problem with my mic (I bought my new comp 3 weeks ago). After working extensively for 3 weeks on the issue, when nothing helped, I gave up.

I know there are many learned geeks who would call the fix as "easy one", but honestly if I can't fix the problem after using Ubuntu for last 2 years, then I don't see how a regular user like my grandma/parents would be able to fix such issues??

I love Ubuntu, and that is why I am using it despite the mic doesn't work, so hardcore Ubuntu lovers please don't fire me questioning my integrity :)

But let's face it, there are few things which we should admit positively and work upon that in order to make this wonderful distribution even better.

jaycee23
April 12th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I am sorry buddy, I can understand your frustration. Actually there are some driver issues with Ubuntu which are really very difficult to fix. I too have similar problem with my mic (I bought my new comp 3 weeks ago). After working extensively for 3 weeks on the issue, when nothing helped, I gave up.

I know there are many learned geeks who would call the fix as "easy one", but honestly if I can't fix the problem after using Ubuntu for last 2 years, then I don't see how a regular user like my grandma/parents would be able to fix such issues??

I love Ubuntu, and that is why I am using it despite the mic doesn't work, so hardcore Ubuntu lovers please don't fire me questioning my integrity :)

But let's face it, there are few things which we should admit positively and work upon that in order to make this wonderful distribution even better.

Thanks for your reply. It's no big deal and I have an external mic which works well but it would be good if the built-in mic worked out-the-box

iustus
July 17th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Dear Friends

ACER 5290 G, Dual Core 2GB RAM . It came with Windows Vista.
Indeed it was working fine whilst updating and updating.....

I phoned ACER Spain and asked about what could happen if Ubuntu was
installed and their reply was : "You loose our warranty on the equipment" . I decided to wait and I lost a nice time ...

I tried several Distros in Live-CD and all worked fine

Yesterday I took my CD Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and I can tell you all, Dear Friends , everything works super !! Webcam , TV Internet , Office ,
all players ....

Of course we must install and after that start :
System -> Administration -> Update manager

next step to complete : Search in Google and download:
What to do after installing Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

There are some necessary plugins , data and codecs needed for sound

If you are familiar with the Terminal , there are a lot of plugins and free software programms for Ubuntu

Last step :
Ubuntu Software Center
Make your choise what you need

Hereby I want to express my gratitude to Canonical and all people
of Linux Software Developpment

I prefer now living in the Linux Tipi:

No Windows , No Gates , Apache inside !!