PDA

View Full Version : Am a Jaunty user refusing to move on!

madhi19
April 10th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Seriously I took a pass on Karmic and it look like am going to take a pass on Lucid. My Jaunty install is so stable right now and I have not needed to fix anything in a long time am starting to look for excuses to bite the bullet and make a clean install. Anybody else are stuck asking the same question? I did try Lucid, Karmic and about a dozen other distro in Virtual box and on live cd by the way! So pros and cons of moving on to Lucid? Let the debate begin!

cariboo
April 10th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Why change, Jaunty doesn't EOL until October, that gives you plenty of time to try other versions and distro's.

lisati
April 10th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Why change, Jaunty doesn't EOL until October, that gives you plenty of time to try other versions and distro's.

+1.
I have Jaunty on two machines and Dapper on another, and have no pressing need to move on until they reach EOL.

sxmaxchine
April 10th, 2010, 08:30 AM
i use jaunty for the same reasons but i will upgrade to lucid if the problems i had in karmic are fixed because lucid has more and newer features as well as it should have a faster boot speed.

madhi19
April 10th, 2010, 08:30 AM
But it does EOL in October and I want to figure out where am going to move my main rig sooner rather than later! You know so I can use my down time before the summer vacation to make a clean transition. I know for a fact that this fall am going to be just too busy to mess with my main rig.

sxmaxchine
April 10th, 2010, 08:33 AM
if you upgrade sooner then it means you wont have to do it later because you will have to do it eventually, i would just get it over and done with. and it would probably be better to do it in your vacation because then you have time to do it as well as fix problems (if any)

-jay-
April 10th, 2010, 08:45 AM
well on my desktop machines i run jaunty since its stable for me while on my netbooks i use karmic i tried lucid but kept crashing on me so i stick to what works for me

look wise i love lucid but stable wise i love jaunty

NightwishFan
April 10th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I would not judge lucid until it is released :)

sxmaxchine
April 10th, 2010, 09:02 AM
i would not judge lucid until it is released :)

+1

dominiquec
April 10th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Agreed: Jaunty's been pretty good for me.

Already trying out Lucid Beta, though, and it's also looking pretty good.

After my underwhelming experience with Karmic, in the future, I might stay away from the .10 releases.

cguy
April 10th, 2010, 10:59 AM
The only reason I upgraded from Jaunty was to enjoy KDE 4.4. Did you try it out?

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 10th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Seriously I took a pass on Karmic and it look like am going to take a pass on Lucid. My Jaunty install is so stable right now and I have not needed to fix anything in a long time am starting to look for excuses to bite the bullet and make a clean install. Anybody else are stuck asking the same question? I did try Lucid, Karmic and about a dozen other distro in Virtual box and on live cd by the way! So pros and cons of moving on to Lucid? Let the debate begin!
I saw several improvements with the jump from Jaunty to Karmic, most notably the sound worked better on my hardware. This is the key, use whatever works best on your hardware. So far I haven't noticed any major improvements in Lucid other than that they made it extremely ugly. Is this an improvement? :confused:

Thank goodness it's an easy fix.

Khakilang
April 10th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Whatever make you happy you have the right to stay same to people who use CLI.

Malta paul
April 10th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I'm still using Jaunty because my Printer would not work with Karmic as its changed cups would let it work.
But I have changed things a bit as I am now using Kernel 2.6.33, Nvidia graphic driver 64-195-35 and a customize Theme, so perhaps its not now standard Jaunty - but works great though.
I will give 10-04 a try but if it doesn't work well for me I'll go back to my current setup. :)

tica vun
April 10th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I've started out with Lucid beta, and I intend to keep using it until the next LTS comes along.

JDShu
April 10th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Sounds like you should stick with Jaunty and then make a clean install to Lucid a couple of months after its released. It should be pretty stable by then.

bwhite82
April 10th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I agree with the others, stay where you are until EOL. Have to say, Lucid is the first release where I have to append "nomodeset" into grub so that my computer doesn't freeze on boot. Not sure what that is all about, but alas, it is indeed still a beta.

Cheers.

sports fan Matt
April 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I think this is the 1st release I'm gonna stay LTS To LTS as I have mentioned. Playing with betas was fun, but I got tired of it. Plus everything is running extremely well here so why change?

chriswyatt
April 10th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Currently using Lucid beta, and I think it's the first time I've actually been able to suspend my laptop. Also it looks like it might be the first time my sound works properly without having to use any workarounds, woohoo! :popcorn:

steveneddy
April 10th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I would not judge lucid until it is released :)

Lucid will be better when it is released, or maybe about a month after release once the post release bugs get repaired.

Duncan J Murray
April 10th, 2010, 05:04 PM
It was jaunty that first made me switch from XP over to Linux. And it was also the most reliable. However, having got the switching bug, I couldn't help but upgrade to Karmic, for which a Grub 2 bug meant that it required serious meddling to get it to work. Currently running Lucid, which has a few crashes here and there, and one bug I've already reported.

If I wanted stability, I would be going back to Jaunty.

Duncan.

WinterRain
April 10th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I think this is the 1st release I'm gonna stay LTS To LTS as I have mentioned. Playing with betas was fun, but I got tired of it. Plus everything is running extremely well here so why change?

For the sake of change, of course. I happen to be one of those people that loves shiny new things, so I will change distros/versions every couple of months. Plus it expands my knowledge base, so I am better at helping other people with problems.

A complete reinstall (from inserting cd/usb stick to having pc completely tweaked) only takes me about an hour, so it's no big deal to me.

The Real Dave
April 10th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I like upgrading to the next release, even if my old one was stable and did the job. I like having the latest and greatest software, and the latest OS. I like watching the improvements as they happen, and upgrading in Linux is quite simple. I just need one apt-get script to return all my programs. Configs don't take much longer. 3-4 hours, and its back how I like it, but newer.

I'm on Lucid Beta1 at the moment, on my second computer, with an Openbox desktop, and I gotta say, I'm loving every second :)

AlanR8
April 10th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Been with Lucid since Alpha 2 and all is well on my Sony Vaio as in my signature line and my newly acquired Compaq Mini!

What I like about the new releases since Jaunty is the ease of 3G connectivity with my Nokia Navigator phone. It just work out of the box!
VERY important to me as I'm away from home a great deal and I refuse to pay for web access in hotels at £9.00 per hour!

The other thing I'm getting to grips with is Ubuntu One. I'm a DropBox fan boy and love it! But with RhythmBox you get the Ubuntu One music store as well! That said, I prefer Banshee and have just downloaded the Ubuntu One plug in for Banshee and it works fine. iTunes used to be a killer application, not now!

Oh and I forgot to mention connectivity to iTouch and Phone.....

And it's been stable for me on my hardware for the last six weeks.

Am looking forward to the full release but I suspect it will be very similar to what I'm enjoying now.

Will then be time to move forwards......again!

sudoer541
April 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM

I think I will do the same think (I will be using LTS releases only)
I think LTS is perfect for a person who wants to have a stable OS without having to upgrate every 6 months.
what ya think? :P:)

Hetor
April 10th, 2010, 06:47 PM
That's why I switched to Arch in first place.

backupdevice
April 10th, 2010, 07:11 PM
That's why I switched to Arch in first place.

what does that statement contribute to this topic?

chessnerd
April 10th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I do love the Jaunty install I have on my desktop. It works with all of my hardware, and it's very stable. I love it to the point that, yes, I'm considering not moving to Lucid for a few months until they've ironed out all of the initial issues. But Lubuntu 10.04 looks very nice. It will be hard to resist...

Also, I've customized the Xubuntu install completely. I switched from XFCE to LXDE, then ripped out all unneeded packages, services, etc. to the point that it only uses 70 MB of RAM when it first boots up.

I'm proud of it, but eventually I will move on and do the same for Lucid. My hope is that Lucid will be even better. Even more stable. Even lighter. But that might just be an impossible dream...

[Sings unnamed famous song from "The Man of La Mancha"]

madhi19
April 20th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Finally I decided to cut the pears in half! (Couper la poire en deux) Am going to shrink Jaunty and dual boot Lucid for a while and this time by god am making a separate partition for Home!

Eldera
April 20th, 2010, 11:29 PM
This is the key, use whatever works best on your hardware.

I agree. Also, What meets your needs?

I set up my computer to meet my needs. I kept both Jaunty and Karmic when Karmic came out because Karmic combined with a new version of WINE did not run my Mobipocket reader well. It was usable in Jaunty. Karmic handled my sound better than Jaunty, which was nice because I am deaf.

Lucid Beta 2 handles my reader better than Jaunty and sound as well as Karmic, so I may be able to use Lucid for everything that is important to me.

However, I am not going to give up Jaunty and Karmic, until I am sure there are no regressions in the programs that are important to me between Lucid Beta 2 and the final release.

I think you have made a good decision: keep Jaunty until you are completely satisfied with Lucid.

(Obviously, I like the choices one has with multiple boots.)

Good luck on the set-up. Eldera

scouser73
April 22nd, 2010, 12:47 AM
Stay with what you're happy with until you absolutely have to change up.

lisati
April 22nd, 2010, 12:52 AM
I'm currently on standby for playing "musical partitions". At the moment I'm running a triple-boot (Vista, Jaunty & a fully updated Lucid beta1), and for once I can use sound on skype without mucking around. The jury is still out on a couple of changes, but going by what I've seen in the forums, this doesn't have to be anything worse than a minor annoyance.

markbuntu
April 22nd, 2010, 08:48 PM
I am still using Hardy as my main OS and will probably upgrade it direct to Lucid in about 6 months when Lucid is more stabile. I had Intrepid on a separate partition for a while and then Jaunty and Karmic. I used Jaunty the most of all of those so I can see the OPs point but it will be a more difficult upgrade from Jaunty to whatever than from LTS to LTS where there is a direct upgrade path.

Jaunty will only be supported for another 6 months so that is another consideration. A lot of people get caught out when the release they are using loses support and then loses its upgrade path when the next release loses support 6 months later (unless it is an LTS).

This happened to a lot of Feisty Fawn users. They could not upgrade because the Gutsty Gibbon repository was removed 6 months after Feisty's. This will happen to Intrepid users in 6 months and Jaunty users in a year. You may still be able to upgrade using legacy repositories that are privately maintained by some kind souls but it will not be an easy thing to do if you wait too long.

You will have to move on eventually so keep that in mind.

One thing about using newer releases was that it kept me aware of the many drastic changes since Hardy so I will know what is going on when I finally move on. If you have the room on your machine (15GB or so free) I definitely reccomend installing newer releases on a separate partition or two to fool around with, you will learn a lot of new stuff and not feel so lost when you try to jump three or four releases.

My 2 cents....

themarker0
April 22nd, 2010, 09:48 PM
I upgraded to Karmic, i am a little disapointed, but i'm pretty good.

RabbitWho
April 22nd, 2010, 11:07 PM
I loooooooove jaunty. but i need to what do they call it.. format.. the hard drive beause it's got so many empty partitions not doing anything but not editable that what should be 500 available GB is now 100. I was the uber-noob. Now I'm just a super-noob so that won't be happening again.

I'll swap to Lucid this summer.