PDA

View Full Version : [other] IBM T 40 password

sigurnjak
April 10th, 2010, 07:11 AM
So .... i was give n this laptop . I was told everything worked and previous owner is MIA . I was even given BIOS password .
However there is one major problem . I am still locked out from changing settings in BIOS after i log in to BIOS , like to make it bootable from CD .

Does anyone have any ideas how to go about unlocking the damn thing !

Maybe that is why it was free ?:-x

cascade9
April 11th, 2010, 09:17 AM
You could try removing the BIOS battery. That should clear the CMOS, and any paswords you would need to get into the BIOS.

PRC09
April 11th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I think from what I have read the bios password is locked into its own security chip.You will have to contact IBM itself or if you google the how to there are some tools and equipment that supposedly enable you to access the chip but they arent free. hope this helps......Good Luck....

cascade9
April 11th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Ohh, so its one of the locked down models? Should still be do-able, but its much more painful.

Hopefully the password you have is one of the default passwords.....possibly you only have the 'power-on password', not the 'supervisor password'. If you've got some time and a biasic knowledge of electronics, this will lety you break the supervisor password-

http://sodoityourself.com/hacking-ibm-thinkpad-bios-password/

sigurnjak
April 12th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Yea , came across that. Now i have to find someone handier than me with soldering . :)