PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best way to switch back from Linux Mint?

knidsrok
April 10th, 2010, 07:00 AM
After building myself a new HTPC, I decided to give Linux Mint a shot.

There really isn't all that much difference between them, honestly, so for a while I figured it wasn't worth switching back, but I've changed my mind, and would like to come back to the flock.

Could I just upgrade from Helena -- Mint's version of Karmic -- directly to Lucid, or could that cause problems? Should I clone my HD to an external drive, and then use the migration assistant? What settings + customizations might I lose in the process?

Are there other methods you'd recommend?

Silent Warrior
April 10th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Just do a clean install of Lucid. That's much easier. If you want your installed packages easily available, open Synaptic and save your selections. Back-up if you haven't partitioned, otherwise it isn't critical.
Mint has a few tools of their own that I don't know if the upgrade will know to remove. Also, the LSB-release is set to Mint, not Ubuntu, so the upgrade will not look for Ubuntu unless you do some tinkering, and I don't know what else would be necessary. It's really best (and FAR easier) to do a clean install of Lucid.

Oh, you should look out for your panel-configurations. Ubuntu of course doesn't have mintMenu, so unless you remove/rename that particular configuration, you might be looking at a menu-less desktop (so you'll have to add Gnome Menu-applet yourself, like). I think that's the only big difference.

aljoriz
April 12th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I agree a fresh install is better.