PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Elfy
April 10th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Welcome to UbuntuForums!

UbuntuForums is a forum where the Ubuntu community can help other people. Also, members of the forum can have a general natter in the Community Cafe.

If you are totally new to Ubuntu, you should visit the New to Ubuntu (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326) section, where we will help you out.

Why not say hello to everyone? Post your introduction here!

Georgia boy
April 10th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Hi Forestpiskie! I like this thread you started. Real neat. Real eye cathcher!!
Hi everyone. I'm Tom. Have been using Ubuntu since August 2008. Thanks to Forestpiskie and Paqman who helped me to get my feet wet so to speak and guided me in my adventures of installation and who have always been a great help to me when having problems. This is a great commuinty in assisting people with their problems and guiding "newbies" like myself. And I still consider myself to be a newbie due to always learning and asking. To me this is a very good flavor to install, learn and use.
Thanks to everyone in this community for their great help and for putting up with some of my off the wall questions!

Tom

Mike BFD
April 11th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Agree with Georgia Boy: a nice idea!

Well, hi everyone I'm Mike. My first attempt to "switch to Linux" (over a year ago) wasn't very successful for Ubuntu 8.10 (or it was 8.04?) disliked the most of my hardware...

This January it was different. 9.10 Karmic installed and worked more or less OK, and great help of many people here in the forums allowed me to get rid of major problems. Thanx folks!!

Now all my household (3 comps for 3 family members) is using 10.04 beta 1... As well as all the company I work in! After getting more familiar to Ubuntu, I showed it to my colleagues - and seems I'm a good "sales agent for free stuff")))

All that is actually awesome)))

the_karmic_koala
April 12th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Hello everyone ...I know it's cheesy but bear with me on the username after 10 hrs of terminal commands and package managing it soundid good hahaha ^_^
I attend A technical college for telecommunications and I took PC hardware, Networking and all that good stuff and my teacher Opened my eyes to GNU/Linux /9.10 and i've been HOOKED! Plus I love the whole ideology... Of a community and friends and FREEDOM if you havent seen it yet WATCH Revolution OS it's amazing ^_^ well ...look forward to talking with everyone ....Will halt ...NOW!! hahaha

no_ordinary_funace
April 13th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Hi,

Just downloaded yesterday. Still busy reading up on tutorials and whatnot. It's a shame that technology from the matrix hasn't been invented yet; would be great if I could just thrust a sharp metal information spike into the back of my head and learn it all in a few seconds. Screw Mars!!! I want my sharp metal information spike!!!

immoweichert
April 13th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Oh great, an introduction thread, now I can finally fulfil my dreams of living the role of a debutante :lolflag:
Anyway : I've only been using Ubuntu for 9 days now and never had any experience with Linux at all before. The last time I've been doing anything at command prompt level was at the times of CP/M (which really shows my age!). Well, the last days have been an exciting learning process, I managed to get through a few initial glitches and now everything is running so much smoother. So many years I've been regarding it as normal that computer crash at least once per day, and that good software needs to be heavy on resources. If only I would have known Ubuntu or Linux earlier !

ubunterooster
April 14th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Greetings, I am relatively new to Linux (first dipped my toes in August of 2008 and went full in September 2009) but am a fast learner.

I am obsessed with my birds and bad puns and white text

[I plan to add more later]

m4tic
April 15th, 2010, 11:00 AM
GOoD dAy! I don't spend much time on my computer but i do use linux and spend my free time on these forums trying to help some with grub.

MattTastic
April 16th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Hey peeps, I'm Matt, been an Ubuntu user for about 3 years at this point. I have been on these forums before, but didn't really use'em, more often than not someone has had my problem and was solved so a quick search did the trick. But I felt maybe it was time to interact with the community properly.

:guitar:

ubunterooster
April 16th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Excellent! Come on in.

denzykabzy
April 16th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Hi guys!
I'm a relatively new user of ubuntu ( over a year and counting...I learn something new everyday!). For me it is all about choice and ubuntu is a choice I can easily live with. The community is helpful and the software beautiful. Keep up the good work guys. I cannot wait for lucid to come out!!!!!

mixint27
April 16th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Hello everybody!! I just became an ubuntu user about a week ago and im loving it! I dont know how i stumbled into this OS but i just did! Vista is of second thought to me now. I have not used it since then.

Im reading a lot of info on it and im loving and enjoying this OS. I cant believe i didnt try this OS before :confused:. If i have newbie questions please help me out.

Thanks a lot in advance.

pseudocube
April 16th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Hey everybody! I'm a trumpeteer, cyclist, and Ubuntu lover! I'm so glad I tried out this awesome alternative to Windows.

MichealH
April 16th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Hey all I have been here for nearly a year but if you haven't seen me around here or in General Help, ABT ect. My name is Micheal and I live in North East England and I have been with ubuntu for 3 years now!!! my first distro I tried was 7.10 and I am now testing the lucid lynx. I joined here because every time I had a problem when learning I didn't give in and most importantly evry answer was here for me. I have just turned a teenager in March so I am 13 years old. I am amazed about ubuntu and I will never quit using it. Even If i dual-boot (Which Im gonna do when I have time lol Just had to recover my Windows.)

Lamaar
April 16th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hello! I've been using ubuntu for a while but haven't been communally active much, which is one of it's biggest features!

Cowchip7
April 17th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Hi all.

I have been dabbling in Ubuntu since Dapper Drake; but it never stuck. Last year I bought a Dell mini 9 with ubuntu reinstalled. I never looked back. My next computer will be a System 76! No more Windows or Mac for me!

bance
April 19th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Hi, all,

Thought I'd say hello, since I'm sure I'll need some help soon.

Recently got my dad a new PC, and thought, I know I'll save the old so & so a few quid, and install Linux.
Well.... he only surf's a bit, so he doesn't need much..........

Duly installed KK 9.1 and said there you go, you old B*****r see how much damage you can do with that.

Next day, I get......

Bloody computer doesn't work
"Can't get any sound out of it!"
Scratch my head a bit, and think must be something I've done......
it being a new PC an' all.
So off I go to the forums to see what's up, within an hour all sorted!
Since then......... I found out about Mythbuntu which was exactly what I needed, for my new home, all of a sudden I've been completely smitten with linux.
No more *******!:guitar:

node8472
April 19th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Good morning, afternoon or evening

I am Jamie and I've been using Ubuntu since 8.04 and have searched the forum many times for answers but never signed up until a few day ago (I figure its time to put something back into the community thats helped me so much)

I am using Jaunty to write this post but soon i will have karmic or lucid and I will be windowless. (I get a little giddy to think how many hundreds of dollars I'm going to save by not feeding bill gates and the cool hardware that money is going to buy me) well that does it for me hope you can benifit from my posting and participating. I am fairly new to this but I've fixed my fair share of problems.

May the Ubuntu continue to be with you

Hal1ow3en
April 20th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm Steve and from West Yorkshire in the U.K been around these forums as a member for maybe a week now but looked over them before I built my system and installed karmic as it's only os.

I'll probs just be asking questions in the beginners forums for now while I get used to things. Hopefully once i'm sorted I'll be able to work on some artwork in gimp to post on here and maybe try making vids of my experiences with linux.

cya around

PeterHumeniuk
April 21st, 2010, 01:59 AM
Hi all!

I'm Peter and I'm not exactly new to Ubuntu, but not a pro either... although I suppose I am considering the job I've found myself in, although I'll get to that in a bit. I first used Ubuntu about a year or two ago, at home, just for a little something different. Having used OpenSuse before that for a taster in Linux.

I've always loved messing around with computers, but never really thought of it as a possibility for a career, just a hobby until a couple of months ago I got a job in a charity, originally as an Administrator. No, not a system admin, or anything fun like that, the sort of Admin in charge of filing paperwork, and boring things like that until I showed some skills with computers, and I got put in charge of their IT infrastructure. That actually all happened in the first day, mind you.

So I told them the things I could do, set them up a basic home office Windows network (I know, the shame). Then I sort of showed them a few of the other things I could do, and before I knew it I'd convinced them (and myself) that I was going to set up a file server, a VPN to connect to our other branches, and a stock control system.

Bitten off more than I can chew? Maybe. I now have a proper Samba server running... which although I had to have two cracks at it, went reasonably smoothly. I'm aiming to get OpenVPN running at some point soon, but I reckon I'll need a static IP for it to work, and probably something else I can't think of (it's late and I've been drinking after winning some money on the football [soccer]). I also now have one person working for me in what is now MY department, :guitar: and will be getting another soon, as long as the interviews go well.

I don't need any help at the moment, but I have used one, or, two of the how to's on here, so thought I'd sign up. I'll probably have to ask some (very) stupid questions at some point, but I'm sure you're used to that on here :P ... I have a habit of making my posts this long, this rambling and this pointless, but I think it adds a certain charm to my e-persona. :D

I'm sure I'll see you around as I ask stupid questions, make stupid mistakes and bite of more than I can even fathom, let alone chew. Don't be too harsh on me for it, though.

ubunterooster
April 21st, 2010, 02:42 AM
it does add a charm to your e-persona like jokes do to mine

zander1013
April 21st, 2010, 03:02 AM
hi,

i have been around the forums for over a year now. i just noticed this thread.

so Hi!:KS

MadCookie
April 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Hey folks!

Let me introduce myself :p

Zach Thomas
April 21st, 2010, 09:34 PM
Hello, my name is Zach (hard to guess that one I'm sure :P)

I just started using Ubuntu about 4 months ago I think and so far I love it. I'm definitely not the smartest with computers, although I know a little bit. I definitely don't know much about Ubuntu, but I'm learning. I'm hoping someday I might actually be able to help someone else because I'm sure I'll be getting plenty of it:lolflag:

untmdsprt
April 22nd, 2010, 01:31 AM
Hello, I'm Jenny. I tried using Ubuntu a couple of years ago on my Macbook, and it didn't seem to like it. Now I've tried again with 9.10, and getting a better experience with it.

I'm looking to see if Ubuntu would be a better place to do all my photo editing because right now I'm having to fight with iPhoto to get all my RAW files out of it. Any new ones are going straight to my external drive, and backed up on DVD.

Any photographers are welcome to contact me with what they're doing.

Any advice to building a PC to strictly run Ubuntu to its fullest is also welcomed.

Thanks!

Khakilang
April 23rd, 2010, 10:36 AM
Hello, I'm Jenny. I tried using Ubuntu a couple of years ago on my Macbook, and it didn't seem to like it. Now I've tried again with 9.10, and getting a better experience with it.

I'm looking to see if Ubuntu would be a better place to do all my photo editing because right now I'm having to fight with iPhoto to get all my RAW files out of it. Any new ones are going straight to my external drive, and backed up on DVD.

Any photographers are welcome to contact me with what they're doing.

Any advice to building a PC to strictly run Ubuntu to its fullest is also welcomed.

Thanks!
Hi Jenny.

I am using GIMP for my image processing and Picasa to upload my image on the web. I am currently running Ubuntu 9.10 on my computer. The spec for building a computer, I believe would Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, 300GB hard disk (doesn't matter really), nVidia Graphic card, DVD RW drive and a LCD monitor with the size of your choice. That's all you need. Enjoy!

sheepdog9090
April 25th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Hey,

Recently decided to look at Linux and on the same day decided I'd had enough of windows and installed Ubuntu 9.10. Didn't dual boot just went whole hog. I'm learning s-l-o-w-l-y and hitting some roadblocks but Ubuntu is freedom. Look forward to asking questions.

J

cmjones1966
April 28th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hi all. I'm Chris, new to the forums but not new to Ubuntu. I did some work on Unix back about 20 years ago, and in the last 10 years have used Linux on and off. I have followed Ubuntu for some time, and after seeing some of the features of 10.04, decided it was time to get back to using a real OS.

As for who I am, I am a SFC in the US Army, currently stationed in Germany and deployed to Afghanistan. 16 years and counting...

ttshivers
April 29th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Hello! I am Travis. I use the fourm to help people with the stuff that I know how to do and to also find help for my problems.

cuberts
April 29th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I see that you have made a creative thread. Well I have been using 9.10 Karmic for about 4 weeks now, and I am really loving it. And right now I am thinking about upgrading to 10.04 Lucid Lynx, and I am also thinking that this new version might help me. Also I have a friend that is also on this forum-ttshivers and I think he is going to give me a live CD that I can install the new version of Linux from.

sataris
April 30th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Names Jon.
I work as a Staff Technical Trainer for the military by day (I'm a contractor) and a linux newbie by night. I have been tinkering with linux since I found Ubuntu 8.04.

I recently registered here, but have been crawling the forums as an Anonymous user since I downloaded my first ISO.

I have tried a variety of distro's and always come back to *Ubuntu.

Anyhow, time to get back to work. :lolflag:

Sandiep
May 1st, 2010, 01:45 AM
Heyyyyyyyyyyyy! My name is Sandie, I'm 20 years old, currently enrolled in ITT Tech Atlanta South I'm taking up Computer Networking Systems and LOving IT!! This is the best decision I've made EVER! well I'm a Windows lover, Trying something new with Ubuntu!! Hope i like it:P

vinay87
May 1st, 2010, 04:46 AM
Hey! I'm Vinay Keerthi and I've been on the Linux scene for about eight months now. I've been using Linux Mint and I've loved every moment of it. I love looking up other distros and trying them out for a few hours on my eMachines eM250 Netbook. I prefer Gnome over KDE and so I've been sticking to using only Gnome based distros. I like writing and reading books, listening to music and watching anime, movies and a few sitcoms and oldschool cartoons.
I've never been a real Ubuntu fan. I couldn't get the 9.10 UNR to work properly so I dropped all efforts and returned to it when Lynx came out. I actually kept checking the site every few hours to see if it had come out. I'm using it right now on a usb stick and it is fantastic! I know a lot of people are giving you a bad time with the decision to change the close/maximise/minimise icons to the left, but I say it's time to use something different. I've never used a Mac though, but yeah I hate Windows for wasting a lot of my time.
I'm looking forward to using Lucid for a while and since it's an LTS I want to hang on to it for at least a year without a single format. That'll be a huge achievement for me, to be honest.
And thank you Canonical for this awesome distro. I wish there was support for integrating exaile/Pidgin into it but well, I can get used to this too.

mikejen
May 1st, 2010, 04:34 PM
Hi

Ive been using Linux for a while, like a long while Id guess. Never really had time to do much other than work. Im RETIRED at last so now have time and no money.

Mike

bapoumba
May 1st, 2010, 04:41 PM
Welcome everyone!

topCturV
May 2nd, 2010, 02:49 PM
Just wanted to say hello to all. I am pleased to announce that "I am now Lucid".
Oh yeah, I also installed Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on the computer.:lolflag:

Have a great day eh!
...................topCturV

Nostoc
May 3rd, 2010, 04:54 AM
Hi everyone.

I've been using Ubuntu for a while now, and countless time a thread here solved my problems.

I feel it's long overdue that I introduce myself and start participating to the community

Davidmark
May 3rd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Hello I m David Mark from New York , 20 years old. I m new to this forum. I m here to get the assistance of senior members and I also would like to share my ideas and some useful information. I hope all of you would like my presence here.

DogMatix
May 4th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Hello, I'm Ant. I first tried Ubuntu at the Hardy stage when it breathed new life into an old IBM box. Last year I dual booted my Vista PC. Now I use Ubuntu on my netbook.

I come in peace seeking advice. Take me to your leader!

rattskjelke
May 5th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Hi. I have been using Ubuntu for over a year and I just registered on the forums yesterday.
Last year I tried several live CD distros and Ubuntu was the only one that would work well with my hardware.
Reading the forums here was a great help with getting Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 to work with my ATI graphics card.
I just did a clean install of 10.04 and did not have to change any settings and have not had any graphics problems so far.

Thanks to everybody who helped me without even knowing it.

Tom

brandon1004
May 5th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Hello everyone. ):P
I'm new here, but I've been using using Ubuntu for 3 years, and other linux distros for about 5 years (started with freespire). I have also been programming for about 6 years (but never done anything OS yet :(). My programming has taken me all over the place from low level 8086 asm to high level web dev. Hopefully I'll be helpful here, and also find some help. By the way, I am a pretty busy student, so I'm probably not going to be here often.

wajidshah
May 6th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Hi i am new here i like to join your group

rg4w
May 7th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Hello Ubuntu folk!

I'm Richard, a cross-platform developer in Los Angeles who's been using Ubuntu for about a year and I love it. I haven't had this much fun with an OS since the early days of the Mac, and the community feels a lot like the excitement of those early Mac days too.

I have a question: which is the best section of these forums to discuss ideas about evangelizing Ubuntu among developers?

With Apple's recent moves against cross-platform developers (see the news about iPhone OS SDK 4.0) and Windows being what it is, it would seem a very ripe time to be able to get the attention of developers looking to support new platforms. Ubuntu's usability seems to have it poised near the brink of a tipping point, and I'd like to believe that with enough new developers on board we could see it reach critical mass in consumer markets.

How can we make that happen?

Is this a good place for such a discussion, or should I post this in another section?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Lord Grover
May 7th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Hi.

Despite joining the forums several years ago I've never really got on with ubuntu.
Until now... lucid lynx is pretty good. Enjoying it thus far. Feels much more polished than previous releases - I may just keep this one for a while.
Expect many silly questions and my grateful "Duh! I shoulda known that!" replies.

s.fox
May 7th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Hello,

I've been a member of these boards for nearly 2 years now (I was a lurker for far too long ;) ) .

I boot various distributions including Fedora, Ubuntu, Crunchbang and Arch. I guess I like to learn how things work and see how they compare against one another.

My activities within the community are listed here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Silver_Fox)

-Silver Fox

EloiseJoseph
May 7th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I m Eloise Joseph new to this forum I hope I will enjoy my presence here and also all of u would like my ideas which I want to share.

ehrati
May 8th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Hi, I'm Siobhan and I've been lurking around here since I downloaded Karmic Koala in October (and I've just upgraded to Lucid Lynx). I finally joined to interact, though any problems I've come across have had the answers here so there's been no need for me to say anything.

Might I say you guys seem really awesome here? ):P

chocolate_dip
May 8th, 2010, 11:18 AM
hi there,my name is Anna. im new here. hope to meet people with sense here.:lolflag: thanks!

bplzip
May 8th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Hello fellow Ubuntuers,

I bought my first PC in 1998 (Windows 95) to research a medical problem at home. Until then I had been a regular user of the local public library's UNIX system.

Since 2006 I've been duel booting either Ubuntu, Xubuntu or Mint on both my desktop and my laptop. Up till now Linux has been mostly a plaything, something to experiment with, while using XP for most ordinary computer tasks, like email, web browsing, bill paying, etc.

I set grub to boot directly into Ubuntu after installing Lucid beta2 in early April. As soon as I decide on replacements for Windows-based MediaMonkey, Microsoft Money, and Google Picasa, I'll be shrinking my XP partion and do a clean install of Lucid.

So, soon it'll be goodbye forever to Avast antivirus, Malwarebytes, Spybot, SuperAntiSpyware and Ad-Aware. Life without Windows should be a lot simpler.

GarmaZed
May 11th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Hey everyone! I'm a somewhat-new Ubuntu user, I've been using it off and on as the OS for my laptop for a couple of years now, and I'm just now settling for good on Ubuntu 10.04. Almost everything works for me within a day, including Flash which is a big win for me. :D

I really got into computers starting around college, through some friends and a lingering interest I've always had. With the help of a roommate, I ended up building my own computer about halfway through college, and that turned me into the all-around tech support guy for friends, family, and co-workers. And that indirectly led me to being a technical support agent for a big box retailer, over the phone support for computers, TV, home theater, and other consumer electronics.

I'm going to try and dedicate some time and effort into the forums, I'm a huge fan and friend of the open source philosophy so I figure I should do more to try and support that community and get more involved in general. Although I'm more attuned to using a Windows OS, I've been a strong advocate for programs like OpenOffice.org, GIMP, and other open source software. I've tried a couple of distros before settling on using Ubuntu, including Linux Mint, Puppy Linux, and a couple of LiveCD tries.

Lookin' forward to being a great help of support and fun to the forums!

noplamodo
May 11th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm pretty new to the forum, been using ubuntu for some time though, version 7.10 or something maybe...But i only recently started to browse the forum actively.

Oh, and my nick doesn't really mean anything (as far as i know), but i use it as my nick in many places.

noplamodo

slackthumbz
May 13th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Started messing around with Linux on an old Pentium box (90 mHz, 3GB storage, can't remember how much ram it had but it wasn't much) about 12 years ago in the good old days of redhat 5.X. Eventually settled on bunty a couple of years ago as it had begun to really mature into a great distro that I could get set up on and productive with very quickly.

These days I work as a webdev in an organisation that is very debian focussed and being able to run a Debian VM as a dev environment on my laptop (running Lucid + virtual box) is a godsend. Haven't really looked back since :)

SPDL_Serenity
May 14th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Hi all. I'm a new user to the forums. Love ubuntu, love the forums.

Been using ubuntu for awhile now. Currently running ubuntu 10.04 as my only OS.

Dhanjal
May 15th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Hey guys, I'm a new user to the forums. I Love Lucid Lynx and i love gnome, This forum has been very helpful to me. KDE has lot of packages but it is a resource eater, my computer became very slow even though i have a high configuration PC.

Been using ubuntu for sometime. Currently i am using dual booting ubuntu 10.04 with XP-Pro. I have installed Ubuntu using wubi. Will make it my only OS soon

TwoEars
May 16th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Hey. I use whatever suits me :D

real-lokiloki
May 16th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Hello everyone, I'm lokiloki, on the net forever, and just started using Ubuntu full time to get rid of windows and all the exploits/virus' out there. Must say, after 1 month, I'm impressed , runs smooth, boots faster, and finally, I can open all my emails without losing sleep,lol.Ive found all the programs I need to run the net and do my work, so, I'm here to stay.I'll have some questions as I go along, but, real reason I joined is I want to learn the linux side of things. So, see ya around.....

goldensonny
May 16th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Howdy folks! I stumbled upon ubuntu after seeing it mentioned in a thread of a board I frequent. After installing a new hard drive in my old laptop and installing ubuntu, my new Windows7 laptop is now used only for streaming Netflix.

kio_http
May 16th, 2010, 10:27 AM
What happened to the other stickied thread exactly like this one?

Gargamel360
May 17th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Not just a first time Linux user, also a first time PC owner (5months at time of this post):confused::redface::) Since all prior PC experience was either on a friends PC, or public-access, my limited user knowledge is strictly Windows-based (for now). I'm running this virtualized to sample the flavor, and I must say, I'm loving this so far:D All I've heard second-hand regarding Linux is "Don't dare try it, you don't know enough!", or similar things along those lines.......a statement that leaves me confused, as I find Ubuntu, if anything, to be easier to use! This is free?? For now I have more reading/learning to do than most, but I would love to contribute to this sometime down the road. Thanks to all who make this ship float!

MindSz
May 17th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Hello all! I work as R&D for an electronics company, but mostly I work with embedded Linux in ARM processors. I also like to surf the forums in case I can offer/need help or if I'm just bored ;)

AeonOracle
May 18th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Hello everyone! I have been using Ubuntu for over a year now, and I have never looked back since. So many things that I could do in Windows, I can definitely do in Ubuntu! :)

dontfearthepenguin
May 18th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hi,

My name is Eric been a casual Ubuntu user for a couple of years. For most of my life (I'm in my early twenties). I was a die hard Windows user, lately i've wanted a change as well as a new hobby.

Loaded Ubuntu 10.04 as my primary OS and I love it. Ubuntu is my favorite flavor of linux, because of how user friendly it is.

Being a computer tech as a profession I know Windows and Macs very well. So it's nice to work with something that I havn't seen a million times before.

digitalexpl0it
May 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM
hello everyone, I've surfed around here for a few years and I have helped a little bit in IRC. Figure I join and say hello.

Been running ubuntu for about 4 years, but started with bsd back in 1991 then switched over to linux a couple of years after that.

Keith_K
May 18th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Hi guys,
I'm really new to ubuntu. I have never been a windows fan, running OS/2 from the w95 to the me days. Then w2k came along and was a bit more palatable to me so I ran it for a few years. I had looked at some linux flavors, mainly SuSE, before but found them to be a bit cryptic, to say the least, and they had me rebooting to windows to perform simple enough stuff that I just couldn't figure out in linux. Last year I bought me a "new" used machine and it was loaded with Vista, which was pretty cool. I loaded on the trial of Win7 (which is basically a fixed Vista, but, meh M$) until it was due to time out. In the mean time I ran across ubuntu 9.04 and put it on my old pos rig. It ran ok but I didn't really look at it that much. I decided to wipe it off the win7 and try ubuntu on this rig and ... WOW... that was easy and it installed/ran like a dream!
The only thing I missed was my old sidebar gaget for pandora. I downloaded the local version and installed adobe air to run it but it just wasn't the same so I took a look inside the gadget file and found a simple IFrame and a jquery file. I installed the adobe air sdk and moved them over to it and viola, I had my old pandora gadget in ubuntu (ok, it doesn't minimize to the notification area yet and I can't share it) and with it, the last reason to even want to boot to windows again :P

flattley
May 19th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hi all,

I'm Chris from England. I am using Ubuntu 10.04

I have been using it for about 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. I prefer it over Windows. I am deffo a Linux convert

Dkkline
May 19th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Hi all!

I'm quite new to the linux thing started a week ago - I think... - But I learn quite fast, my dad helps me out now and then (I'm 13, my english could have been better so it was a tough start...)

I just want to say hallo, and thanks all at Ubuntuforums.org for all the threads and stuff, I also want to thank the Ubuntu development team, for this great OS!!, from day one I loved the OS, and haven't even used windows since (duel booting), I am done with MicroSoft, and I feel great about it :)

Cheers, stay linux

drusillah
May 19th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Hello hello! :) :popcorn:

As you can guess, I am also new here... I have found many solutions to what I need here in these forums, I think it's a great place to maintain and support... It really helps, thank you to all who contribute. ^^

I'm Dru, it's nice to meet you!:KS

Crempel
May 19th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Hi everyone,
I joined the forum last month and thought I'd say hello in the café as well. I started computing with an XT and dos a long time ago, converted to Linux when Kernel 2.0.34 (I think) was brand new, and have never looked back. I truly enjoy the friendly environment the Ubuntu forum (and all the sub-forums, or is it fora?) provides, and only regret that I did not join earlier, having used Ubuntu since it saw the light of day.
Cheers, Mike

refunlike
May 19th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Hello everybody!

My names Alan and I'm from Scotland. I have always been a Windows user until a few days ago, when I thought I would see what Ubuntu has to offer and so far I love it and I don't think I will be going back.

A bit more information about me is that I'm hoping to do a Software/Games Development course at College in August.

:P

friTTe81
May 19th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Missed this thread =)
Well im Fredrik from IKEA land, been using Windows for hundred years, but been playing around with Wubi installs for a while.
This time i dont think i will look back to Win ;)
So i guess i see you guys in here.

Lyserjik
May 20th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Hello there!
I'm Lyserjik but most people call me Luca, i'm from Italy and i'm writing from an eeepc with a Linux Mint distro on it.
Good to meet you! :)

dalefolse
May 20th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Hi, I guess I'm a newbie and I'm using freespire. I don't think it is a true Ubuntu rather just built on ubuntu. I'm a web developer and I want to start using Ubuntu to just get away from the virus, spy, and malware stuff. Also I like the idea of free information. I tried to use linux, but I had lots of issues with the download sites for Debian and Ubuntu . I would like to start using wine windows as I have a printer that I need to use but the software for it is only .exe and it won't work. Also I'd like to continue to use my Photoshop and Coffee Cup and once again are only for windows. Well anyway I might be asking stupid questions but I will always try to find the answer first. I think I learn better that way.
Talk to you later,
Dale

StonedRaider
May 21st, 2010, 01:06 AM
Hey I'm Tobin. I'm 14. Been using ubuntu for quiet awhile but only recently changed completely. Finally gave windows the boot after microsoft pissed me off for the last time. I live in New Zealand currently starting a business for importing and selling computer accessories, consumer electronics and mobile phones. Planning for the future to add computer services to my business

Tobin

Louisraritan
May 22nd, 2010, 09:20 PM
Hi, name is Louis. I started playing around with Karmic but it wasn't quite there for me yet. Had a dual system Karmic/Vista on my desktop and mostly used Karmic for media stuff. Then the upgrade for Lucid came out. Took me all of two days and was so happy with it that I wiped Vista off my laptop and installed Lucid on it too. Have been nothing but pleased so far. Everything from applications and Open Office to Google Chrome has worked flawlessly. Am pleased with the security and peace of mind that Ubuntu offers compared to windows. There was so much proprietary nonsense in Vista and everything was so expensive. Thanks for Ubuntu.

MC_Sketch
May 24th, 2010, 09:08 PM
hey everyone! i've been using Ubuntu for a couple years now, but just barely joined the Forums. i really like the setup and community so far :D

bondo101
May 24th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Hi there i'm bondo 101 been using Linux since Mandrake . But a year or two ago i sold my linux machine to a friend her's crashed didn't have a spare machine for awile till a month ago up graded my windose machine then i had parts to build a new linux box. 9.10 is better than the past linux disteros i have used. i tried 10.04 but too glitchy for now still using 9.10 with great happiness. i'm glad to see the community growing . Tech Republic had a blog about windows7 & you all should read it very interesting. thats all for now keep linux steaming along. bondo101:KS

RabidFX
May 26th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Hello Ubuntu Forums :)

Second thread I post into, first one was my cry for help in multimedia section...

This forum sure is huge, but it looks like a nice place, I'm sure I'll come more often now that I registered :P (One less lurker !)

So, name's Silver, I'm from the country of misplaced pride and delicious, stinky cheeses. :)

I first gave a try to Ubuntu quite some time ago, with Fiesty. It was mainly for financial reasons at that time, OS based on other kernels were too expensive, and Ubuntu sounded like the most newbie-friendly.
I quickly gave up tho, I was deterred by the very complicated process of running the games I was playing in a decent way.

I started running a comp with Ubuntu on a more regular basis when Hardy appeared, and I've been installing more and more of those, including converting some of my friends to this free environment, and Karmic was the best for that, it seems.
I recently upgraded all the machines to Lucid, and noticed there is still much I need to learn, as I ran into a lot of problems...

But hey, I won't give up this time. After all, I will want Ubuntu certification at some point to help with job hunting... :P

So, it's nice to meet you all !

fire.for.effect
May 28th, 2010, 11:57 AM
my name is roger.

ubuntu was free from my isp server.
i totally dig it.

i upgraded to 10.04 and subsequently jacked my mbr so my vista partition is practically useless now.

i'm in the army.
i'm doing a psd mission and living isolated in the middle of baghdad.
need to figure out security so my computer is secure.

i can't wait to get home and ride my fatboy.

p.s. i dig shooting artillery.

Flaky
May 28th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I'm new, just switched from Windows XP to Ubuntu 9.10, and I like it a lot. Been using Windows all my life up until this week. I don't plan on switching to newer versions in a while. I'm trying to get everyone I know to switch to Open Source, mainly Ubuntu.

Trying to learn C but I am so damn lazy.

Trollbeater
May 29th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Hello all,

Well I finally decided to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak, dump Windows for a Linux OS. I am still not entirely certain I made the right decision, because the software I need is not really available here, but I thought I needed the change. So far I have been able to get things going and everything is working fine and I am quite happy.

I would like to know the best place to learn about Linux though and Ubuntu. I have found some guides but they are either far too beginner or far too advanced. I need something in the middle. Any suggestions.

Thanks,

mstorey20
May 31st, 2010, 01:39 PM
New the OS with my first install last PM.

Installed over an older Windows machine that was dead with a virus leaving it non-functional. Install went great and really very quick and easy. Wireless card and network setup were a breeze. Now runs very fast - closest in speed to a system 5 years newer running Windows 7 with Chrome as a browser.

Excellent work. Thinking of rolling another aging machine over to give it a fresh update.

James7
June 1st, 2010, 12:44 AM
Hi, I am James from England. I like FOSS, spaghetti westerns and playing the guitar.

I started using Ubuntu three years ago, with Fiesty Fawn, and I have never looked back at Windows since.

I have helped several family members move to Ubuntu. This has meant I almost don't have to support their computing at all, not like before with Windows XP. Thanks!

I even got £77.99 back from Amazon UK last Christmas on a laptop I ordered when I contacted them and told them I would not be able to accept the pre-installed Windows Vista licence (as I was going to use Ubuntu on it instead). So Ubuntu saved me 20% of the cost of that laptop. Thanks!

This is a great community here. The people here have always been helpful, and I always learn a lot reading the forums. Thanks!

T.Slattery
June 2nd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hi my name is Tim I'm an old Windows buff and I just made the switch. I live in lovely Seattle and I am currently enjoying some rain. ;-)

My first Linux desktop... I am a sucker for transparency...

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/deviantdroogie/th_Screenshot.png (http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/deviantdroogie/?action=view&current=Screenshot.png)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/deviantdroogie/sig.jpg

1800wheelz
June 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
Hi i'm wheelz, new to ubuntu and linux altogether. started about a week ago, and loving it

Rent_A_Pig
June 3rd, 2010, 05:07 PM
Hey!!!! Just Downloaded Ubuntu last night and I will never go back to Microcrap again!!! I also want to express how excited I am to see all the helpfull threads and posts in this forum!!! Cant wait to get off work and tinker some more with my new Op System!!!!

\\:D/ Woot Woot \\:D/

dvwolfman
June 3rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
Hi I'm not very new but sorta new, I am now 100% Ubuntu/OS, I play music, do questionable things in the name of human rights, etc, I'm searching for a thread or place to post about installing Ubuntu on a netbook, it's specific to the device; this was a very cheap netbook to begin with, and something went wrong with the OS on it (I think it ran Windows CE 5.0, currently the screen just says "Wireless Book....Loading OS Image) I want to fix this up into a snazzy little Ubuntu Netbook but need to know the following:

are there any standard Netbook Function keys that get you into the BIOS/configuration utility? I would like to boot the latest Ubuntu for netbooks via the USB drive, is there an overide command to reset the netbook or get it into a configuration mode?

hope I'm explaining this right...
This machine has no manufacture name on it, was bought from overseas on Ebay.

any advice is appreciated, Thanks

sungod84
June 4th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Hey everyone! Names Gage and I'm from the Bay Area in Northern Cali. Joined the forums to get started on my switch to linux. I'm going to be diving in head first and learning how to swim afterward....lol Hoping to be switched to an all linux system within the next week or so. Just have some last minute stuff to square away before I do. :P

john &
June 4th, 2010, 04:01 AM
ubuntu good, funny how vbulletin just underlined in red, ubuntu and vbulletin. looks like i spelled it right. This is just a test.

artrepro
June 4th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Hi, everybody, nice to meet you all. Very glad to be a part of UBUNTUFORUM.

cocolo
June 4th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Hi to all, i wish that all people that enter to this forums found the answer of all doubt like me.

varunendra
June 4th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Hi!
I am Varunendra (call me varun) from India.
I completely switched to Ubuntu (from XP) just the day before I joined this forum.
[Update: Although I did use it consistently for next 4-6 months, my job forced me to use XP again. Currently, although I have Ubuntu 10.04 as a dual boot, I use XP most of the time while keep Ubuntu 10.10 & 11.04 running simultaneously in VMs]

Till the day of this post, I've never gone through any computer course nor do I have any computer-related certificates yet. I never found someone who could guide or help me whenever I needed (before joining this forum of course). Most of whatever I know today is by experience, mostly try & error method.

I had been using Ubuntu & other flavors of Linux since version 7.04 but only as disaster recovery tools. Even if I installed it (dual booted with WinXP) a few times, I was like 'touch & run away' type user.

In Oct.2009, one of my friends doing B.Tech. in Comp.Sc. asked me to install Ubuntu on his Laptop (dual boot again). After a couple of months he called me again & to my surprise (yes! I thought he would have removed Ubuntu by then) he told me that he completely switched to Ubuntu a month later & it was more than fantastic for his needs (programming, browsing, movies, ......... all the student's stuff). Soon he visited me & showed his laptop. He was using Ubuntu Studio 9.04 combined with Compiz, and that added to the glamor needed to push me beyond the line.

It was time when Win7 was available for trial but when compared to UbuntuStudio+Compiz, I was so overwhelmed by Ubuntu that I decided to give it a full-fledged try.
Initially I installed it on a USB HDD in live-session mode and kept using it for next 2-3 months (I was so possessed by that setup you can get a feel here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9101568&postcount=1)). Then I noticed some bottlenecks (not impossible to overcome but difficult at that time) and a full install seemed to be the most optimal solution.
In March 2010, I made a full install of UbuntuStudio 9.10 (Karmik) + Compiz on my office PC (not dual boot this time) & completely switched to it.

My experience with it...?? Well.... "I AM IN LOVE WITH UBUNTU" would be the simplest words to explain that!

I still have XP on other computers in my office but only because I couldn't have convinced my colleagues yet to switch to Linux. And even that I've planned & hope to be able to change in the coming days. Although it seems to be too ambitious to realize that (you can see here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1473806)).
[Update: Even though some of my seniors and colleagues liked it, the next hurdle was the difference in keyboard layout for Hindi typing, which is core of our office-work. Then some apps including a few Hindi-supporting ones which run only on XP. Those who have a personal laptop, now have it as a dual-boot.]

I hope with Ubuntu and some other Open Source gems, someday I'll be able to set my Office and Lab as a shining example for others to follow!

TheMadMan
June 4th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Hi all,

Joined this forum back in Sep 09 when I made my first attempts at using Ubuntu. At this time, I dual booted Win7 and Ubuntu. I gave Ubuntu a go for about a month and then reverted back to Win7 OS only.

Anyway, I took the plunge again on Monday and installed 10.04 as my only OS (i.e. no longer have Win7 at all). I have now realised that my initial attempts using Ubuntu back last Sep 09 were hindered by me. This was because I was trying to replicate everything that I did in Win7 on the Ubuntu OS. I now reliase that the best way to get the most out of ubuntu is to use it as ubuntu and not as ubuntu dressed up as Win7.

Hi to all and thanks in advance to all you friendly people that will undoubtedly help me sometime in the future. Hopefully i will be able to repay the help once I have a bit more experience in all things linux.

TheMadMan

KarinBee
June 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hi all. Had Ubuntu installed on our PC for a few months now and am still in learning mode. Ubuntu is great, really basic in some ways compared to Windows, which is good as there isn't too much stuff to baffle you with but when it comes to anything to solve problems on the PC I still have no clue what I am doing so hopefully, if I have any problems, some kind soul on here will help me find an answer to any problems I may have.

I live in South east Northumberland, married with two teenage children.

LinuxIreland
June 5th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Hi All,

I'm Lloyd - I've been here before - but it was a long time ago :-)

I'm an IT entrepreneur, web applications developer, that kind of thing :-)

I'm busy at the moment with the "Free Software University", my new project - everyone's welcome, btw :-)

I like Ubuntu but don't like the proprietary elements that make my distro non-free. I like using gNewSesne, but want an updated version :-))

So, chat later - nice to meet you all! :-)

Lloyd

Hamird
June 6th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Hi,
I'm Hamird, from Iran. I'm using Ubuntu since last summer, started from Jaunty. From then I was using this forum for my troubles and solved a lot thanks to this forum. And today I decided to join and spend more time here!
Cheers.

dvwolfman
June 6th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I"m not the moderator or anything, just wanted to say, it's wonderful to see all these people coming together and introducing themselves over a great operating system and philosophy...thx all

Repeating my introduction, I'm a somewhat new Ubuntu user, mew to being 100% Open source anyway...been almost a month since I went 100% Ubuntu...and really enjoying every minute...

attached is a screenshot of some of my music apps running together via jack, thx Ubuntu Community for keeping me free!

Free for freedom!:guitar::popcorn:):P My name is David Wolfman btw...and I'm in Lexington, MA. There's a time and place for aliases, this, to me, is not one of them.

Lightning Strike
June 8th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Hi all members! I was referred to this forum from Ubuntorooster, also known as the roo! I know he is famous here. :) I am very glad to get started. See~ya around!
~~Lightning Strike~~

ubunterooster
June 8th, 2010, 02:47 AM
1, glad to see you
2, ubunterooster

km6xz
June 8th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I am not entirely new but only recently switched 99% and brought my whole office with me.
I first tried 8.04 on a laptop and enjoyed the whole concept but I was doing a lot of web and php development for my business and my preferred tools just did not play well with others.
Recently our office server started throwing some HD errors and one day an important directory just disappeared, the backups were too old. We are in a very seasonal business and now was the busy season with dozens of orders being processed each day, each order being a complete tour and travel arrangements for up to 100 people each.
I made the rash decision to dump the MS Server 2003(that we had little access to since our hired consultant went away and would not reveal admin passwords) It was never very fast on the hardware it ran on.
I read up on Ubuntu 10.04 Server and built up a machine for it. The new machine was an older quad core AMD built as a gamer, and I bought used from a friend's kid because the $1000 video card just was not fast enough for his tastes. The install of 10.04 worked well, and copied the files over before unplugging the old MS Server box.
My initial reaction was that i had a lot to learn but it worked perfectly and the whole network of 28 desktops really came alive. It has been two weeks and not one person has missed making a comment about how fast their files are being served. Samba was easy to set up, as were personal and public directories.
I am a complete amateur with networks, but maintain our web site and database driven shopping cart and write lots of PHP scripts to run the office. The more I learned about command line interface the more I liked it. I installed Webmin, opened a remote SSH port and can admin the machine from anywhere.
That worked so much better than expectations that I loaded a spare laptop with 10.04 and another with Kubuntu 10.04 to get a feel for both interfaces. Our office had 5 different versions of Windows and Office 2003 and 2007, in 2 languages and a result was a nightmare to keep secure....which it never was. It has been a hassle to keep everything working together. The staff wants to keep whatever they have because they customize the appearance and have their own partition on their machines for private files...mostly photos and other non-work related items. That further complicates keeping printers and scanners working all over the network.
I tried to convince one of the staff members to try Ubuntu, she did but complained that it was not Windows, but did like how she could read ANY 2007 or 2003 Office Files using Open Office. Well, last weekend I came in when it was quiet and added Kubuntu to every desktop in dual boot arrangement. We had an office meeting Monday where I announced we were now an Ubuntu/Kubuntu office like it or not. The effortless security updating and easy installation of new packages alone were good enough reasons to have everyone having identical OS.
There was some grumbling but no one quit and I did not have to fire anyone;>) This morning two of the most vocal women in the office came to say they approved and sort of liked the pretty "MacIntosh" look of their new desk tops. Also the computers did not need to be rebooted mid-day to recover memory like the Windows OS did.
We have not had a single hardware or application problem that I had to solve so my real job of running the company can get a boost in productivity.
I am cheating however, I still have one laptop with Vista because my CodeCharge Studio has not worked so far with Wine. Maybe Virtual Box will work.

My perspective as a business owner who needs high reliability and consistency in performance of a network, and not being a gear head or geek, I see that Ubuntu desktop and certainly Ubuntu Server are ready for general office use, with the users completely unaware of what OS is running underneath. 8.04 was close but 10.04 is ready for almost any small to medium business acting as their own administrators.

The quality of the application packages are getting more impressive with each version. The KATE advanced text/code editor for example has such a useful easy to learn interface and is fast. Open Office reads more files types than anything else.

Breambutt
June 8th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I'm nobody and hate everyone.

ubunterooster
June 8th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Hard day? Hard life?

Technically speaking many of us are "nobodys" who find a place here after being rejected elsewhere, myself included.

If it helps: "Nobody is perfect; nice to meet you, Nobody"

Oh, and "Everyone makes mistakes"

varunendra
June 8th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I am not entirely new........ .......... ....... It has been two weeks and not one person has missed making a comment about how fast their files are being served ........... ................ I tried to convince one of the staff members to try Ubuntu, she did but complained that it was not Windows, but did like how she could read ANY 2007 or 2003 Office Files using Open Office ........... .......... and certainly Ubuntu Server are ready for general office use.....You've got me exited!:-D I can't wait to implement a similar layout in my office!! :-D:-D

....except me (please say that[-o< )

Baskey
June 8th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Hi all,
Am new here ... Started to use Ubuntu 9.10 6 months ago and since then became addicted to it. Thanks to my good friend now I have successfully got more and more of my friends to explore Ubuntu...

Cool stuff you all have here... :guitar:

Breambutt
June 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Hard day? Hard life?

Technically speaking many of us are "nobodys" who find a place here after being rejected elsewhere, myself included.

If it helps: "Nobody is perfect; nice to meet you, Nobody"

Oh, and "Everyone makes mistakes"
Oooh I've never wanted to be anyone else, it's just that I don't care much for names. They don't really serve a purpose, yet some have power. It's just my take on the principles of equality, hence I also hate everyone equally.

I didn't even use to introduce myself in real life until a friend's friend punched me in a bar, he found it insulting or something. 8D

Nowadays I try to find out first if the person in question is a violent redneck.

lootic
June 8th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Greetings sonn to be made freinds and enemies.

km6xz
June 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM
You've got me exited!:-D I can't wait to implement a similar layout in my office!! :-D:-D

....except me (please say that[-o< )

Try it on a spare machine so people can look at it and play, don't tell them it is Linux under the hood, that would scare them off.

I had the first "support" call this morning. One of my employees, along with 4 others goofing off overlooking offering advice, was trying everything he could think of to see the common document files on the server. After a few seconds to focus my eyes.....it was a long night in the dance club.....I discovered the culprit and why Ubuntu failed for the first time to serve files....the cleaning lady or the office cat, someone had unplugged the Ethernet cable from his tower PC. I suspect the cat, she hates computers after we changed to flat panel displays, she loved sleeping on the vents of the old CRT displays.

These last two weeks were the longest stretch in 6 years that no one came to me saying they couldn't print, or connect to the network, or that their Windows desktop was slowing to a crawl after a few hours of use. I still have not told anyone they are using Linux, only that it is a new hip MacClone GUI. They were given the Kubuntu version. Half the office has been switched from wireless to CAT-5 Ethernet connections, the rest will get switched this weekend.

I am going away to visit family in California from my adopted home of St Petersburg Russia in a week and I want no problems when I am gone. This will be the first time I will feel confident in not checking in every couple hours. They are not going to hear from me for 2 weeks while I hike in the mountains and work on my elderly mother's garden.
But I will miss St Petersburg the instant I get on the plane, I am so bored in California, it used to be great 20-30 years ago. The town I am going to stay in has close to a million people yet no night life, only 3 museums, no ballet, no opera, very few dance clubs(I have not found any) or pubs, little/no live music. The only positive is getting my stored car out of storage, polishing it and driving. It is the last of my long collected Italian GTs from the 60s-70s, a restored '72 5 liter Bora Maserati. What I would miss most by being back in the States is the lack of stylish, educated, fit, well groomed ladies without attitudes, a commodity that is almost non-existent in the US.

varunendra
June 9th, 2010, 10:53 AM
.....They are not going to hear from me for 2 weeks while I hike in the mountains and work on my elderly mother's garden.
But I will miss St Petersburg the instant I get on the plane, I am so bored in California, it used to be great 20-30 years ago. The town I am going to stay in has close to a million people yet no night life, only 3 museums, no ballet, no opera, very few dance clubs(I have not found any) or pubs, little/no live music. The only positive is getting my stored car out of storage, polishing it and driving. It is the last of my long collected Italian GTs from the 60s-70s, a restored '72 5 liter Bora Maserati. What I would miss most by being back in the States is the lack of stylish, educated, fit, well groomed ladies without attitudes, a commodity that is almost non-existent in the US.
O:)O:) ..... somebody tell 'em not to wake me up now ..... O:)O:)

Wtower
June 9th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Hi all,

I thought to post here my first before getting into deeper water. Congratulations to Ubuntu community for the excellent presence.

Wtower

quirkification
June 10th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Hi, my name is Adam.

"HI ADAM"

Hi, everybody, well I am here because I am a recovering windows user. I would crash a lot, lock up from time to time, and was a real pain to make my own.

But now I use Ubuntu, and I am free.

"that was real touching Adam, everyone thank Adam for sharing with the group."

"Thanks Adam"
:lolflag:

leviathan8
June 10th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Hello, I'm infamous around these corners, but I will keep posting cause I like this forum :) It's user friendly, as ubuntu is.

ubunterooster
June 10th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Hi, my name is Adam.

"HI ADAM"

Hi, everybody, well I am here because I am a recovering windows user. I would crash a lot, lock up from time to time, and was a real pain to make my own.

But now I use Ubuntu, and I am free.

"that was real touching Adam, everyone thank Adam for sharing with the group."

"Thanks Adam"
:lolflag:

MATThematical
June 13th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Hi, everyone! I'm Matt. I'm a 27-year-old graduate student at California State University, Los Angeles, currently pursuing a Master of Science degree in Mathematics. I'm learning to use Linux and I'm really enjoying it. In my free time, I like to play video games, study math, and hang out with friends.

polarxj
June 13th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Hello everyone. My name is J.D. I am another newbie to ubuntu and linux in general. I now have 4 computers running Ubuntu. 2 laptops and 2 netbooks. I only have one of the computers in my collection configured for dual booting windows. That is only due to one program that requires it. It does not work using wine do to usb driver issues. Anyway I have been having a lot of fun with ubuntu. This forum has helped out a lot so far in my new adventures and projects. Thanks all for the great information.

kingrobdun
June 13th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Hi, I'm Kingrobdun. I'm a Amiga fan and a avid PC user. I have a love hate relationship with windows. I love gaming on windows, but I hate getting viruses/crashing. Today is the first day of my permanent switch to Linux, or I hope it is. There is always that "one thing" that makes me switch back to windows.
I need a multi player fps for Linux that has a lot of players and is addictive.

quincyj0nes
June 16th, 2010, 10:31 AM
hi im richard i like gaming,long walks in the park and using ubuntu for my firstish time for over 2 weeks now

Friend-Atish
June 16th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Hi Everyone....

This is Atish. I am a new born baby in the world of the Ubuntu (Linux). Today morning I have installed Ubuntu in my machine for the very first time, and putted my first baby step into a whole new world (with help of some great people).

So everybody, pls. help me to identify the wole new world........

:KS:KS:KS

the big e
June 17th, 2010, 12:59 AM
I am The Big E.

I am new at this and interested in:
Getting Ubuntu to work right
programming, especially Python
desktop publishing and computer graphics

Artemis Fowl
June 17th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Hello. I am Artemis Fowl. I registered because of how much I enjoy using Ubuntu. I have skimmed the forums for a few weeks and I like the community here. Very friendly and helpful. I believe I should tell the staff that I am eleven years old, as I have encountered various sites for 13+. If you aren't allowed to be here at my age, I ask that you ban me and make an amendment to the rules stating the age restrictions, as I failed to find any in my initial search of the rules.

Thanks for reading.:KS

cariboo
June 17th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Hello. I am Artemis Fowl. I registered because of how much I enjoy using Ubuntu. I have skimmed the forums for a few weeks and I like the community here. Very friendly and helpful. I believe I should tell the staff that I am eleven years old, as I have encountered various sites for 13+. If you aren't allowed to be here at my age, I ask that you ban me and make an amendment to the rules stating the age restrictions, as I failed to find any in my initial search of the rules.

Thanks for reading.:KS

Welcome, the youngest member I've seen so far was 8 years old, we try to keep the forum as family friendly as possible. So enjoy yourself.

X-Windows
June 18th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I've been here for a week or so before noticing this thread, so I thought I'd say hi and tell everyone a little about myself.

I'm a recent Ubuntu convert (eX-Windows) due to Windows 7 price increase and license restrictions and because I utterly despise Apple/Mac. I'm a college freshman working in the IT department at a large American east coast university. I have a background in .NET programming and Algorithms and love to tinker around with Linux micro-distros.

Silviner
June 18th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Hi Folks,
New to ubuntu, new to the forum...just wanted to say hi to everyone.
regds,
Silviner.

nautica17
June 19th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Hello everone. I joined a couple days and have already had some questions answered. Running my first server at last. :)

JoelKrause
June 19th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Hell there,
I'm Joel. I've been here for a while actually, popping in every so often to find some answers, though now that I've fully converted to Ubuntu, I may stick around! I'm a high school student, and, that's pretty much me!
Catchya around!

Cheers,
Joel.

jeffymarts
June 19th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Hey everyone,

I've been on the forum for quite a bit but I haven't found this thread yet. About a month ago I completely switched from Windows, which is complete garbage as just about anyone on the forum will tell you. Now though I'm learning the finer nuisances of Ubuntu and I'm loving it. Besides that I enjoy longboarding, literature, programming, web design, and music.

Peace.

opendevlite
June 22nd, 2010, 01:46 PM
hey, Lloyd here

LinuxIreland
June 22nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
hey, Lloyd here

I definitely think a GNU/Lloydux distro, made by a group of Lloyd's is in is in order, lols... :-)

Lloyd

Andrew-J
June 24th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Hola(not Hispanic whatsoever), my names Andrew its over to the side if you forget. I've had lucid for about a month or so but have had my eye on Ubuntu much longer. I started out with a dual boot windows7/Lucid but was quickly turned full Ubuntu. Everything pretty much worked for me out of the "box" so i am quite happy with it, looks great of course, and i hope to be able to contribute to the community in the future.

Andrew

alexan
June 26th, 2010, 05:14 PM
SOrry for having not introduced before.. glad to see ya all!

Lex Lacerta
June 28th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Hi everyone ):P

I've only been trying Ubuntu 10.4 for a few hours...but already I love it!!! :biggrin:

pradeepnswamy
June 29th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Hi I m Pradeep, I m using Ubuntu for last 3 months, i hav lot of quiries regarding the ubuntu.
i m using Dell Vostro a840 laptop my bluetooth is not working with ubuntu. Plz help me

varunendra
June 29th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Hi I m Pradeep, I m using Ubuntu for last 3 months, i hav lot of quiries regarding the ubuntu.
i m using Dell Vostro a840 laptop my bluetooth is not working with ubuntu. Plz help me

Welcome to the forum Pradeep!

To get solutions to your problems, first try to look up the FAQs, then try searching the forum. If the question has already been asked before, maybe you'd get instant solution there.
If you can't find the solution after searching the forum, then you can start a new thread of your own. A few important things to remember while starting a new thread:

Ask one question at a time. That is, for different kind of problems, you should start separate threads.
Start threads under relevant sections (General, Absolute Begginer, Installation & Upgrades,...... there are dozens of catagories).
Try to keep questions short, clear & to-the-point, providing as much details about the problem as you can.

For example, search the thread for problems with bluetooth. If you can't find a solution, then start a new thread under 'Hardware & Laptop' section. Provide all the details of laptop, your problem, the version of Ubuntu you are using. Hopefully, you'd get your solution within hrs. (or maybe in minutes!!). :)

gangsta4christ
June 29th, 2010, 10:42 PM
hi i,m kelvin up until yesterday i had always used windows and was using windows 7 until i switched to Linux and i,m very surprised how good it is and i will be sticking to it still learning my way round it

disastrophe
June 30th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Hi, my name is Anton. I've just recently switched to Linux and I absolutely love it! I've spent a lot of years cleaning up m$ messes and finally made a clean break with them.
Everyone I've met on the various Linux forums so far has been very helpful and while I do try to work through things myself most of the time, it's nice to be pointed in the right direction when in a strange land. This stuff sure ain't winders, that's a very good thing.
I was running a dual boot with vista for a couple of weeks but I quit using it almost immediately and happily got rid of it. I've found that almost anything windows can do, Ubuntu can do better with a little research and a little work and it can do a whole bunch of stuff ******* can't(at least not without a gadzillion layers of software.) It saves a lot of wear and tear on the hard drive too!
One of my favorite things about Linux is the terminal. I've always loved the command line and in Linux it's incredibly powerful and flexible. It's given me a lot to study and for the first time in many years I'm not bored and annoyed with computers. It's certainly not bug free but I remember from whence I came lol.
Anyway, I'm very pleased to be here. Thanks.

dogonthehorizon
June 30th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Hello all, my name is Fernando from California :cool:.

Been a Microsoft user since the day I could use a computer, switched to Apple about 2 years ago, and then finally dual-booted Linux this past month.

I must say I am extremely pleased the user-friendly nature of Ubuntu 10.04 and the portions that are not so user friendly have been educational experiences, all gladly welcomed!

All of my questions have been answered before I even ask them, thanks to supportive community here and elsewhere around the internet, keep up the great work Ubuntu and I hope this is the start of a long and fruitful run!

Python Jedi
July 1st, 2010, 10:12 PM
I've read these forums ever since I got ubuntu ~6 months ago, and still have yet a reason to start a thread about help with ubuntu. I've learned a lot about computers in general and have had plenty of fun with python. I'm starting a new chapter with leJOs NXJ, though I also would like to continue with python. this is way too much fun to be an OS...;)

MaracKoMarac
July 2nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Hi! I registered on this forum almost one year ago, but I still can't remember why :roll:
Anyway, my name is Marko and I come from Croatia. My main hobby is game development with Python and Pygame. I like anime, reading books and many other things. Could you tell me in which threads should I post to get more familiar with the forum?

ubunterooster
July 3rd, 2010, 03:45 AM
Hi! I registered on this forum almost one year ago, but I still can't remember why :roll:
Anyway, my name is Marko and I come from Croatia. My main hobby is game development with Python and Pygame. I like anime, reading books and many other things. Could you tell me in which threads should I post to get more familiar with the forum?
For a simple, less stressful place to be: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=298

To chat; choose any thread in: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Joker1134
July 3rd, 2010, 06:06 AM
im joker. ive been using ubuntu for about 2 months now and i love it. sadly i still use windows for photoshop and virtual dj though.i use ubuntu for everything else. im new to ubuntu but im not new to forums so i dont need all the rules and stuff. you people are gonna see me alot around here. so hi

RoeiShafrir
July 3rd, 2010, 10:32 PM
Hey guys, I'm Roei.

I've been using Ubuntu for a few weeks now and frankly-so far I really enjoy it. It's perfect for me since I'm not much of a gamer-- the only game I play is MapleStory and for that I dual boot with win7. I love the simplicity of the OS. I'd really like to convert my parents to Ubuntu as well but they're technophobic and they enjoy their Windows Vista (which I, personally find really slow and unusable). I've been reading this forum for a while too.

So I really hope to get along here! cya guys :)

Cason
July 4th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Howdy all! As the indicator on the left shows, I'm Cason. I've been anti-Mac for ages (due to all the proprietary/code-lockdown nonsense), but I'm just now getting on board the opensource/Linux/Ubuntu train. I looked into Ubuntu out of sheer curiosity after hearing a friend talked about it, and got immediately sucked in.

I've been using computers since I was cutting teeth, but this is something totally different. It has been a challenging switch, as my particular computer model had a number of compatibility issues, but I'm running now running at 100%, 150% as compared to Windows. The peeps in the forums have been an absolute Godsend, and w/o them I probably would have given up. Glad I didn't though!

Ubuntu has opened up new possibilities for me, and I foresee a lifelong relationship in the making. I'm already encouraging those within my influence to make the switch. Thanks for accepting me into the community, and hopefully others will join as well! After all, that's what Ubuntu means anyway right? ;)

I look forward to the growing and learning that will undoubtedly continue! As they're fond of saying in my part of the US, "Shalom y'all!" :D

TakZK22
July 4th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Hi guys.. I'm pretty sure I used to have an account in this forum, but I don't know what it's called (or in fact, what the password or email I used :roll:). I've been using Ubuntu for quite a long time, but I had to move to a different country.. and I had to leave my computer to my relatives. Eventually, I got a new one, and I've had Windows on it until I thought "Heck, why not install Ubuntu?" So I used Wubi and here I am...

bsrinath
July 4th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks!

krishnandu.sarkar
July 4th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Hi, I'm Krishnandu from Kolkata. :)

jakedaflake
July 5th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Hey there! Been playing with ubuntu since 6.04 off and on. Finally went and put together a box just for linux, and saved an older laptop from the recycler for the same reason. My next challenge is to put xp in the desktop after getting ubuntu the way i want. Gotta love us lefties for doing things backwards.

hoosier1104
July 5th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Hello everybody. My name is Justin and I am a ex-Windows user.

I am currently an engineering student working on my BS in electronics and communications. I made the jump due to the popularity of Windows and wanting to give a linux based system another shot. First time was while I was working on my associates degree back in 2000, Red Hat. It is nice working to figure things out again instead of the plug and play life of Windows. So far I am enjoying it. Granted my gf is not.

sanatalha
July 7th, 2010, 11:37 AM
hi every1 this sana talha how r u guys

rwthelegend
July 7th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Hi guys,

I've been using Linux for a year or 4 now.

Just wanted to say hi, I'm going to get active on these forums.

:p

Russ.pinkslippa
July 8th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Hey all!

I'm Russ from northants and i co-own Pinkslippa Studios (http://pinkslippa.com) (web development and computers).

i've been using Ubuntu for 5-6 years and have loved it since i first booted it.

i'm not totally Ubuntu, i still have to use xp :( but hopefully not for much longer! and i'm gunna start learning linux code to help you guys out :D.

Goolie
July 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Just swtiched over to Ubuntu from Windows 98/XP/Vista/7. Used them all. I made the decision to join Ubuntu a while back and I did, but I had so much difficulty running Warcraft 3, WoW, etc. So I have up on it. Then, I got out of gaming and needed just a simple working computer. Turned up that the only game I do play, (Heroes of Newerth) has a linux port. So I made the switch. The linux version of this game works better than on my original port on my win7 OS. So now, I play WoW again, and it works.

I've spent days on such small issues making everything work, sound, resolution, etc. Just googling and learning, I google a problem and I'd end up somewhere in this forum!

Been about 3-6 days since I installed. I just formatted my laptop yesterday and booted it into Ubuntu. I see no reason to go back to Windows.

If I had any problems, they'd be AutoHotKey I used to use, I liked to use my 2 xtra mouse buttons as modifiers, one would be shift and the other ctrl. But after a full 2 days and many hours I gave up on this. If anyone has any new ideas PM me. I tried BTNX but apparently it's broken on 10.04 due to changes in the kernel. I tried xbindkeys and a whole bunch of programs with the letter X in front!! But to no avail, haha!

Thanks, I love the community, and I can't wait to be more than just a beginner and can help others on settling in the world of Ubuntu!

ubugrrl
July 9th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Hi everyone! I decided to try out Ubuntu on the urging of a friend... I'm lovin' it! Life just got so much better. I'm so impressed by what I see so far of the community.

Peace to all!

krishnandu.sarkar
July 10th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu Forums :)

scheschi84
July 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Hi there!

I use Ubuntu for some time now (Feisty was my first time). I've never been active in a forum though.

I'm a german student (mechanical engineering), hoping to graduate this summer :D.

fuyao
July 11th, 2010, 10:35 PM
hello guys im fuyao

from the name you can tell that im chinese, well i dont live in China any more, right now i live in Connecticut in US

i used 8.04 back when it was still new, but at that time im not a big fan for linux systems, so i set up a dual boot with 8.04 and Windows.
this laptop of mine never got an OS re installation that is satisfying for me, later in my dual boot, i messed up 8.04 and Windows caught a nasty virus, so i reinstalled Vista with 8.04, then for three times my pirated chinese copy of Vista got the "Black Screen of WGA" from microsoft back in 2008, so i screwed over vista and 8.04 and installed just winxp, with the automatic update disabled. i also tried Solaris and SUSELinux, but it was unsatisfying.

now as time went on, my laptop's hardware is getting old, i saw it in winxp, performing a simple task in winxp takes about 2 mins to load on my 4 years old laptop, so i dumped windows and went back to xubuntu, i installed just xubuntu, and my laptop is much faster

my laptop is a Thinkpad R51e btw, brought in China back in 2006

Blu Fox
July 12th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Hello everyone. I'm not necessary absolutely new to the forum or ubuntu but I've been off the grid for like ages so I'm saying hi again =D.

I've been an ubuntu user since 9.04 and really enjoyed using it (and got my dad hooked onto ubuntu along the way). Had been going back and forth between this and windows for a while, though, because I do play games a lot. However windows keeps on crashing on me at the worst moments still so Ubuntu still has a place for me.

I do have a challenge to look forward to, though. You see, I want to pursue a serious career into photography and so far from what I've seen, the pros all do their editing with macs and PC's. I'm interested into seeing if Ubuntu can do just as well in the photography field as those other OS's do.

And welcome fuyao! My dad had similar issues with windows on his laptop. His laptop would sporadically shut off and would take ages to load absolutely anything! I decided to install ubuntu on his laptop and lord and behold, the laptop stays on! It loads applications like no tomorrow and just has absolutely no problems. He hadn't looked back since. I think you made the right choice on dumping windows all together =)

KennedyX
July 13th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Hi everyone! I'm Kennedy. I just recently switched from Mac OS X to Ubuntu 10.04 and I love it so far. I had to work with it a bit at first (I just spent 2 days figuring out how to fix my flash player's video/sound sync and install java, not bad for a linux n00b :p), but now I'm really enjoying it and I love using an OS that isn't controlled by corporate interests.

I hope I can learn a lot while I'm here and maybe even make some friends along the way. :D

FSales
July 13th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Greetings everyone. Not sure where to post as a beginner looking to introduce myself. I don't really have much experience with Linux. I had XP prior to transitioning to Ubuntu, at least on the notebook that I am using. With all the problems I was having with XP due to viruses and what not, I'm liking Ubuntu sooo much better. I'll browse through the beginner guide, do let me know if there are any threads in particular that will help me in my baby steps of ubuntu. Thank you.

Åtta
July 13th, 2010, 11:18 AM
If you're new, you may want to download or buy a copy of the Ubuntu Manual. http://ubuntu-manual.org/

ad_267
July 13th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Welcome!

The first piece of important advice I can think of is to use the Ubuntu Software Centre to install software, don't go to a website and look for a download link. Nearly every piece of software you could want is in the Software Centre. :)

That's the main thing that trips people up, just be prepared to learn a few new things, Ubuntu is like Windows in some ways but in many other ways it can be quite different. Hopefully you'll stick with it and enjoy using it.

FSales
July 13th, 2010, 08:00 PM
oops, i made a thread last night without first noticing this. i'd copy and paste what i said, but the threaded deleted already i believe. sooo far so good liking ubuntu a lot. thanks for the welcome from my previous thread.

ubunterooster
July 13th, 2010, 08:06 PM
oops, i made a thread last night without first noticing this. i'd copy and paste what i said, but the threaded deleted already i believe. sooo far so good liking ubuntu a lot. thanks for the welcome from my previous thread.
Not deleted; look 5 posts above this one

TriBlox6432
July 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM
'ello everybody. I'm a 15 year old that thinks he knows everything. So I'm not really trying to be rude if you think I am. xD

I love sarcasm. I started linux with Ubuntu 8.04 and loved it. It was everything I needed, so I installed it on the only computer in the house, erasing Windows XP. My mom was PISSED. So, once I got WinXP back on there, I tried dual booting, and.... messed it up. So I finally get Windows working, and convince my mum to buy me a laptop for my birthday (March of '09) and I put 8.10 on there, erasing Vista and feel very very confident. Wireless didn't work. -____- I couldn't get it working at all, no matter where I went to get help. So, 9.04 comes along and I install that. Finally, wireless works!! But the intel bug got me, and everything sucked. So for the first time I started using a dev release. I was on 9.10 Alpha 2. I loved it. Finally a release that didn't suck!! So when that I came out, I loved it. I bought a netbook, and destroyed my laptop (on accident) Wireless didn't work. I found a fix. 10.04 came out. I hated everything about it (mostly the theme). But now I've got it all customized (on the netbook) and life's good again. I've learned a lot. I'm still a noob in someways. But I also know a lot more than the average person. So I'm really happy with Ubuntu, if only they could get rid of this god-awefull default theme...

zerin
July 13th, 2010, 11:24 PM
'ello everybody. I'm a 15 year old that thinks he knows everything. So I'm not really trying to be rude if you think I am. xD

this guy's funny,

Hi i'm Zerin, like most i'm still new to Ubuntu, just 6 months old in experience, but have learned so much from here in the forums, never joined cause i didn't feel like it. but have never found a question that couldn't be answered. Forget microsoft, this is how tech support should be. find it ourselves and get smarter through our trial and error ways. And i hope that maybe someday, the whole world will what Linux is.

Bapun007
July 14th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hi ! I m bapun and frm India . The 1st thing i want to say that 'sorry for my bad english' . Now why i use ubuntu ? Ans - this is free so very good for a student with no pocket money . I install this in only pc in my house. Because my brother dont allow me to use windows 7 installed and say that "buy your own os i dont allow u to destroy my windows 2nd time" i have no sufficient money to buy a separate windows so i install Ubuntu 10.04 attached with a pc magazine . This is nice and very easy to connect with net with my mobile phone . I m also happy because i browse net freely and every time he scan his windows find lot of lovely lovely windows viruses .

Bits & Bobs
July 17th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Hi,

Seems like I've been lurking for ages, without ever having had a real crisis to post about. I enjoy computing for it's own sake, not that I'm ever going to have ubergeek skills, I just like exploring stuff. Lucid Lynx seems like a great way to be introduced to Ubuntu, so thanks to all of you who make it possible.

So far while playing with it, I've only broke/reinstalled Lucid 3 times - guess that means I must be slowing down. I tend towards forum searching and trial and error tests for answers. Brain too old and scattered to concentrate on the amount of manuals I'd have to read to do it the organised way.

If I ever do get my overly eclectic mind to concentrate long enough, I'll want to focus on using the CLI and also developing some working knowledge of C++.

lotuscribe
July 17th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Hi. My name's Ray. Switched over to Linux yesterday because I got tired of Windows pooping out on me. I had a severe crash about a month ago and lost about four years worth of files in the process. I got the machine started back up yesterday with Ubuntu, and I have no plans of looking back.

This will be a first for me, belonging to a tech forum that will actually be polite and helpful, unlike some of the Microsoft boards I have been on who treat a question with disdain.

nought2sixty
July 18th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Afternoon all!):P

I have been a Linux user for quite some years now, but never a die-hard-pro.
Have recently been using Mepis, but encountered some fatal boot errors doesn't seem to be any realistic solution and so decided to switch to another Debian build...opting for Xubuntu.

Got issues from the off, hence my appearance here!

So hello.

Rubyfruit
July 18th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Hey, all!

My name's Rubyfruit. I'm a twenty-something who's stuck in Ohio. I switched from Fedora Core to Ubuntu on the recommendation of someone in the (Unofficial) Nanowrimo IRC chat. I just now switched. As in, As Of Yesterday.

Um....what else goes here...oh! I use Linux and Windows, liking them both for different reasons. Used to use a Mac but increasing prices and my city becoming a college town full of Mac users who just so happen to be hipsters who wear their sunglasses on their heads and like telling everyone how much money they spent in excruciating detail turned me away from that particular OS rather quickly. ...and yet, I still have an iPod. Hmm...

As for Not-Computer stuff, I am a college student, not quite liking that, though. It's a bit dull.

samwho
July 20th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Hi, I'm Sam. I'm 19 and I'm a computer science student in the UK :)

I got into Ubuntu a few years ago but back then I was young, didn't know what I was doing and kept messing it up so I reverted back to Windows pretty sharpish.

About... a month or two ago now I got a new laptop and decided to put Ubuntu 10.04 on my old one as the only OS. I absolutely loved it! So now I run Ubuntu 10.04 on its own on my old laptop and a dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 on my new laptop :)

I had a few teething problems that got me a bit annoyed when first getting everything set up but they weren't too difficult to overcome and I learned a lot in the process :)

Outside of computing I like to listen to music (I played in a pretty serious band for a year or so but had to leave upon going to University), read books (currently plowing my way through every book with Richard Feynman in it :D), spend time with my friends and my girlfriend. I also enjoy writing and have my own blog that I'll probably link in my profile after I've written this post so if you feel like checking it out, be my guest :) It's pretty general... Covers a lot of different topics so if you don't immediately see something you like, look around and give it a chance, yeah? :D

I have a lot of ambitions, I love to learn and I have a lot of little projects that I'm working on. I can code fairly competently in Java and PHP/MySQL and I have basic/intermediate knowledge in C++, Python and a very small amount of LISP :)

Well, sorry that turned out to be a bit of a life story ^_^

tl;dr version: Read the first line.

FlameReaper
July 20th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Good evening everyone, I'm just your average Earthling who decided to get serious in using Ubuntu, though I weren't so brave as to install it from the LiveCD, so I used wubi instead. That and I'm lacking hard disk space to do a partition (plus I'm too lazy to).

Originally, I first used it because I need to be able to use UNIX-based OS for a UNIX class, and since the labs used Ubuntu (at that time I had little idea they were still using Hardy) I decided to do the same and got myself Jaunty.

And later I upgraded to Karmic, however by the time I upgraded I realized Lucid was already out, and so another upgrade I did then.

I'm liking it as a whole so far, and although back then there were quite a few hiccups (like bugs etc) I was able to keep my machine running on Ubuntu till today - only times when I return to Windows is when the situation requires me to use Windows-only stuff.

I'm still a college student, and is now repeating my final semester which I was supposed to finish last semester - but aborted due to an accident. I'm gradually recovering of it though, and I took the opportunity between in order to enhance my experience in using Ubuntu.

/end of tl;dr introductory post.

Also don't ask what's up with my forum nick, I don't even know how I even thought of that. :P

And cheers.

ubunterooster
July 20th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Also don't ask what's up with my forum nick, I don't even know how I even thought of that. :P

I like it :D

UptownRedLine
July 22nd, 2010, 06:17 PM
Hey, how are you guys doing? Glad to be apart of the community. You guys can call me Uptown. I am a longtime FreeBSD user who had to convert over to a more "Girlfriend Friendly" desktop to keep the peace but I am happy I did. Enjoy your day, everyone!

lotuscribe
July 23rd, 2010, 04:21 AM
Welcome to the forums! It is all so helpful on here. I hope you have fun with your newfound OS. I certainly have so far.

exilio3000
July 23rd, 2010, 05:37 AM
Well, I've been coming here a bit, but never formally introduced myself. I'm a lazy linux enthusiast, not quite addicted. I am addicted to guitar playing and cigarettes (the latter: je quitte demain!). I use the OS emacs (heheh ;). Music I like: blues, rockabilly, jazz, IDM, and the list goes on. 12 string guitars are amazing, but I can't play one.

I'd like to get a job as a system administrator in the future, anybody want to create a cabal/cooperative? I'd like to find people or persons who are interested in administration and network security to share knowledge and network. I like the idea of created a geek cooperative. Ideally, I'd like to set up a home server and find others who would do likewise and then set up accounts for one another to ssh into and practice our administration skills and such. Music enthusiasts interested in open source tools for home music production encouraged to reply

I've got a very shallow knowledge of bash scripting, elisp, lisp, scheme, and an intermediate-beginner knowledge of python, btw. A little bit of C. I've never actually created a GUI program tho, just command line stuff. Of all the programming languages, I like lisp and it's variants the best.

Anyway, cheers to all and happy hacking!

Thryn
July 23rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
Hi. I'm from California and I'll be starting grad school (library science) in Montreal in the fall.

I've been using Ubuntu for a little more than a month now, and I'm the first person in my family to have any form of Linux on a home PC, although my dad uses Red Hat at work and has used Debian in the past, I think. He was surprised that I was able to install it on my own without causing any damage to the Windows partitions and that I've been able to resolve all of my issues. He says this is a very good sign of how Linux has progressed.

I decided to make my new laptop a dual boot of Windows 7 (because I expect I'll need it in graduate school - my program is very Windows-centric) and Ubuntu (because I've had tons of issues with Windows, especially Vista, and figured that if I use it only occasionally I won't have as many problems/won't get viruses).

The install itself was easy but I've had a few issues since then. Fortunately I've managed to work all of them out and I'm enjoying it for the most part.

MisterIcky
July 24th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Still questing for the perfect handle. Ickyness is everywhere, how do we deal with it? With remote robot manipulators, perhaps, controlled by a touchscreen.

But what if the touchscreen is Icky?

ubunterooster
July 24th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Still questing for the perfect handle. Ickyness is everywhere, how do we deal with it? With remote robot manipulators, perhaps, controlled by a touchscreen.

But what if the touchscreen is Icky?
LOL hiya. Try a wiimote. After all, it is Linux compatible and not icky ;)

ericchenry
July 24th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Hello everyone. I first tried switching to Ubuntu back in Hardy, but at the time it was too much for me, and I was also still tied to Microsoft's software too strongly. I will admit, not only did I not really like Linux at the time, but I was opposed to the entire FOSS and GNU/GPL community... Now I laugh because just a few years later, I find myself advocating it more and more. I made the switch to Ubuntu on a Dell XPS M1330 laptop with Karmic back in December to help a friend who was going out of the country for a year and the only computer she had was a Dell Mini 9 netbook with Hardy on it who knew absolutely nothing about Linux. I have since installed Lucid on 3 of the 4 computers in my house (the 4th being my dad's laptop), and have my dad using Ubuntu on our desktop. My main machine now is a Dell Mini 9 netbook running Lucid (full desktop version, not the netbook edition) set up for development. I am not a programmer by any stretch of the word, but have been trying to teach myself for the last several years. Currently I'm working on getting enrolled in college for development so I can do it for more than just a hobby. I've been playing around a little bit lately with shell scripting and Python development, with a smattering of HTML & CSS thrown in for good measure. I'm pretty excited about my future in Linux in general, and Ubuntu specifically and eager to learn what I can. :)

Eric H.

Herazio
July 24th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Goodday to everyone !

My name is Herazio but I go by the name of Bryan ! I hail from Belgium. I'm currently a user of Ubuntu Linux 10.04 Lucid Lynx.

I'm a college student and I study my last year Applied Computer Sciences. Network Administration track. It is in my luck that this year we had the honor to learn about Unix systems and how to get around in BASH. We haven't really used the GUI a lot. But it was fun learning about how you can schedule tasks with Cron and all that.

I tried to switch to Ubuntu a couple of times but I always failed because something about Gnome didn't fit me. I was used to my Windows taskbar and all that. Until I found Docky which makes my transition so much easier.

I hope that I can be part of a great community and once I will be able to help some people in this forum. Do know that even though I know some basic BASH commands and shell scripting. I am definitely not an expert on the topic. So I'm sorry if I won't be of a lot of help in the beginning !

Hope to see you all on the forums

Herazio

Penny N. Nickels
July 24th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I didn't notice this Introduction thread before. Well, I've been a member for about a couple weeks already, spending time on the support boards but more time playing the games. While my real name is Marilyn, I decided on the Username of Penny N. Nickels to reflect my occupation...I'm a cashier. I've had Linux as my OS since December 2009, when a coworker (a friend) gave me this computer he reconditioned & he had installed it on here. When I finally got to go online earlier this year, he suggested to me to come here with my questions. (No, I wasn't pestering him THAT much!) I had nosed around for a bit before I joined...which was right after I had gone Karmic & had some problems. Anyway, here I am! While it's sometimes frustrating, I am enjoying learning more about Linux, especially after having been a Windows user all my computer life. (That started in 1998.) I'm getting to know my computer better.

DeMus
July 25th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hi, my name is Jan. I call myself DeMus here, and in other places as well.
I am Dutch and married with an Indonesian woman. We have 3 Indonesian "daughters". (2nd cousins we took care of financially so they could go to school and university) A picture of the youngest one is in my avatar.
I'm 52 and work as a construction-engineer. I love my work although I do have to say that holidays are the days I like most. We love to travel and that's what we do as much as possible.

I started using Ubuntu 2 1/2 years ago with Hardy. Before that, several years before that, I did experiment some with Fedora and even got Gentoo working one time (following a script to the letter).
I liked Hardy because it just worked, and probably still does. One year after that I switched to Jaunty. I skipped Intrepid because of the bad news I read about it. Jaunty was amazing, probably the best Ubuntu ever made.
I skipped Karmic and started to use Lucid when it appeared as stable version. Well, I had a hard time getting things the way I was used to, and I also have written that on the forum a few times. So much had changed which I had to change back to what I had and like. I still don't know why so much had to be changed, and I'll probably never will find out.

After our summer holidays I started to experiment with Suse 11.3 and didn't get it to work. Then I downloaded Fedora 13 which worked but had some strange features. The third rpm-based distro I used was Mandriva 2010, which I liked, although it also had some bad things. Enough for me to return to Ubuntu. Not the regular version but Ultimate-Edition. It is amazing, so many programs installed, such great themes and most importantly it works. It may not be the fastest OS but it is fast enough for me and it is stable. Something so important for me.
I have been installing OS'es a lot in the last few weeks, now I hope I can sit back and relax for a long time while enjoying this amazing OS.

nathan.osborn1
July 25th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Hello! My name is Nathan and I just started using Ubuntu for the first time. I really like it compared to Windows and have already jumped in with playing with the source code...carefully....not trying to mess anything up. I have a Toshiba NB305 and really like the laptop but just hate the confines of Windows 7 Basic. Well I hope to learn a lot from everyone here on the forum.

trisemigistus
July 26th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Hello! My name is Nickolas and boy, do I feel like a child in a candy store.

In the process of installing my Ubuntu, the Windows OS I was using got accidentally removed by me. Perhaps it was fate. I am in love with my Ubuntu and hope to use it for years to come.

vinan
July 26th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I do this with a devotion:

I convert to a ubunturian about two years ago, i was growing bored and tired of reinstaling me and my friends windblows boxes every 3-6 months.

same time i heard about what vista could do, to you machine, man i thouth i got to get on this linux game.

made some distro hopping and found Ubuntu, true a wise guy.

now i have a LAMP server runing at home, only mess with *nix OS
and i convert every machine i come near by, to a linux one.

big shut out Shuttelwoth, Ubuntu team, and every one in ubuntuforums.org

god bless every Linux user, and only Linux user. :p

rest of them supporting these satanic companies :D ethier it´s a bitten apple from eden ( Funny ha? ( a high tech comany with a bibicalsymbol) or hidden svastika logo.

kmrs75
July 26th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Hello we would like to introduce ourselves

Were Ken and Tina from Chicago

we have been using linux for some time now and love it

we use it for everything

Tina owns a sign shop and up until resent she was forced to use windows to cut vinyl for t-shirts - banners - decals - but now were able to do everything in ubuntu we love it

hope to see ya around

RapboY
July 27th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Hi my name is Wilson Reyes. I'm a student, a multimedia artist, an aspiring coder, and I'm a very new Ubuntu user. I signed up here in the forums around January of this year and have been planning on installing Ubuntu. Last weekend my windows BSOD'd and I had to buy another hard drive to be able to grab my files from my Windows disk. When I finally put my Windows 7 back to normal, since I had an extra hard drive, I thought "Why not try Ubuntu?". So today I got Ubuntu working great with my Windows 7.

It's really been confusing, but I'm getting used to it. I just don't like the fact that there are so many types of installers, .deb, tar.g-something, .bin, etc. It's so confusing! And I still really dont understand the terminal. Argh! I hate being a noob, it's so... weird... lol. Well, that's it, thanks! :D

decennium
July 27th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hi!

My name is Tor-Arne and hail from Sweden. Installed Lucid on my comp about a week ago and I'm still in my exploring phase.
I have played around with different distros in the past, but found Linux too complex (probably because of the terminal installs :D).
I even ordered Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger?) on CD and later got the 7.10 release, just played around with them a little bit, but now, I'm a linux convert.

As of this moment, I'll never go back any MS OS.

mojo risin
July 28th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Hi I am mojo risin, a part of an anagram (mr.mojo risin) for morrison which is another often used name by me .

I am German and a 25 yo .

I use wubi lynx, as my laptop is lacking a working disk drive (it said good bye many years ago) and also lacks a usb boot option.(and the other versions to install it look too complicated yet)

I have been using Dos before(albeit when I was rather young) and windows from 3.1 to xp. I hope I can get the best out of linux :).

geekette2010
July 28th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Hi ya's
A newbie here. I found my way here from a member of the Podnutz chat room. DoortoDoorGeek in Podnutz got me started on Ubuntu about 5 months ago. I updated from 9.10 to 10.04. I want to learn Ubuntu so I can help alot of my friends who's computers are getting older and can't afford new ones to keep up with windows demands and still have use of their computer. I found out a few things really quick after making my laptop a dual boot. In Ubuntu you need to add flash and adobe yourself, I found that out by no video in firefox. LOL. I use Pidgin instead of empathy for chat. IRC is pretty kewl. If you like podcasts DoortoDoorGeek has his own called LinuxBasix. the url http://www.linuxbasix.com/ . I have to find my way around the forums cuz I already have questions.
catch-ya's later
geekette2010

geekette2010
July 28th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I love the quote picked up by vinan (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=852064) further up in the posts

In a world without fences and walls,

who needs Gates and Windows.

geekette2010

TNT1
July 29th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Hello. I'm exploding Bob. I'm new. Hi.

_h_
July 29th, 2010, 11:48 AM

lol well hi there mr. exploding bob. :D

cuongjj
July 29th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Hey fellow Ubuntu users! My name is Cuong and I'm its been around 3 months I have been using Ubuntu and I LOVE IT!! Although I would like to learn some more command lines in the terminal and also function more from there, but I think I'll keep searching on the internet to find out more information about this!

Anyway, Love this forum and keep up the good work guys!

mysteryd
July 29th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Hello! Working on my umpteenth attempt to learn linux. Think I finally got this worked out. Not extremely knowledgable so will probably just be asking questions, leaching off knowledge, posting links to answers of questions I have searched for myself or remember coming across, or telling fart jokes.

There... pretty much sums it up. =)

Palaciogirl
July 29th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Hello, oh my GOD :D I'm also a NOOB xD

Well, I'm here because I also instaled UBUNTU :KS buuuut, I got "issues"... so I've had to take out all my old computer books and read them all over again... so bad that they are about D.O.S and non-helpful at all xD

So! I'm here, a girl, with a big red F in computer science :( but hey! I also got my pros, like, I know google and know how to use it! I mean! I actually googled "Ubuntu Forums" and here I am.... you would have never guessed that B)

SO why did I install Ubuntu then?

Well, because ITS FREE!! & I love free stuffs! xD nah, not really, but It's a very good point still ;)

Let's say this it's not my first time using Linux, Ive actually used Suse, others.. and KDE.

Really long text jump it:

& Yes, KDE was actually my first lovely desktop, KDE3 I LOVE IT, my brother made me install it in my PC and since I got it it made my heart go BUMP-BUMP for my computer, but then the KDE4 era came, it was "cuter" but it wasnt stable, I had to use lots of codes, sudo: apptget and stuffs like that that made my head ache and my Computer Block, I'm not saying I dont like writing codes, I dont mind, I did that in KDE3 but there it's a difference in following someone elses guide... to making yourself codes to make the computer work the way you want... & I almost depend of my brohter to make it work... like 99.99% of the times!! also KDE4 estable version doesnt fully works on that PC (Don't know why, drivers I guess) then all started to go wrong and my uncle who's a Windows-maniac told me to install widows vista, and he gave it to me with all the programs I needed... well having original office Excel and word, with original msn (and able to use msn emoticons) wanst a bad idea after all... I got vista, and I hated it.
well, as you know in the geek world, all grows old fast, I got a new PC this time with Windows XP, cause I didnt like Vista, and so sad but Windows 98 (my favorite window) was too old... a year with windows XP, was ok, I like mmorpgs a lot so I played lots of them... then the time of 365 with windows XP was done, I installed KDE4 again, stable in a new Pc, it does works! but bad news, my Pc got burn cause of electric shutdowns, and I had to stick to my laptop that also had XP for a while, my uncle the windows-maniac fixed it for me, but the new hardware doenst works with KDE, HEY DO YOU GET IT? The WORLD its telling me something!! D:
With my laptop with BT and Wifi I'm afraid KDE wont work, again driver issues I GUESS... and since I dont have the programer's Soul, I cant use Fedora and KDE without having a seizure.

So! I'll install UBUNTU in my laptop! and If I like it I'll install it in my desktop too :D
I hope everything goes great, and that I can be free from my uncle the windows-maniac and my brother the crazy-coder that controls all my pc... and have a simple calm happy life with my computer :D that's all I want!

Oh! Also! I got Ubuntu 10.04 for Netbooks :3 It's sooooo cute.

Jaydon H
July 30th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Hey everyone, my name is Jaydon. I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 yesterday (kind of on a whim) and discovered it to be (pretty much) better than Windows! I hope to be an active user in the forums, discussing things about Linux as well as solving some questions after I gain more experience using Ubuntu.

cuongjj
July 30th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Nice to meet you all):P

karmila
July 30th, 2010, 01:00 PM
hi, everybody :KS

my first interaction with ubuntu was with ubuntu 9.10. But i just installed it but never used it because karmic didn't want to recognize my wireless cdma usb modem. then ubuntu 10.04 released, i gave it a try an and yes lucid can recognized my modem.

now, i use ubuntu full time :o.

_h_
July 30th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Hi there new peoples. :D ):P

pirron
July 30th, 2010, 04:00 PM

Hello Bob.

I really like you avatar. I also like their music.

Robin_216
July 31st, 2010, 08:47 AM
I just noticed that i never posted in this thread.
My name is Robin, 24 years old and i have using ubuntu for almost a year now.

onesimus7
July 31st, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hi! I'm Onesimus and currently looking for a solution/help for this project i have in mind. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543084) :)

I'm a new ubuntu user, and looking forward to use it forever :D

=Melissa=
August 1st, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hello,

I'm Melissa I have been useing Ubuntu for 2years and love it. I am always looking to have a go at new things.

NightwishFan
August 1st, 2010, 10:18 AM
Welcome all! :)

MichealH
August 1st, 2010, 11:52 AM

OMG 3,225 Beans in One Hour? ;)

NightwishFan
August 1st, 2010, 11:56 AM
I am a true Ubuntu 'superuser'. :)

_h_
August 1st, 2010, 01:05 PM
I just noticed that i never posted in this thread.
My name is Robin, 24 years old and i have using ubuntu for almost a year now.

Welcome to the forums Robin.

Hi! I'm Onesimus and currently looking for a solution/help for this project i have in mind. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543084) :)

I'm a new ubuntu user, and looking forward to use it forever :D

Welcome welcome.

Hello,

I'm Melissa I have been useing Ubuntu for 2years and love it. I am always looking to have a go at new things.

Hi there Melissa, hope you enjoy the forums. :popcorn:

Oh hi there!

OMG 3,225 Beans in One Hour? ;)

I am a true Ubuntu 'superuser'. :)

Nightwish has those BeanHacks! :popcorn:

JShadic
August 3rd, 2010, 06:57 PM
Hello, my name is J (not really but it will do:) ) This is not my first dive into Ubuntu. I have been using it off and on since Dapper Drake.

I can say with certainty that Ubuntu is my OS of choice.

lordberic
August 4th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Hi All, ):P

Just realised i never posted here (also i flit through these forums occasionally login and then fail completely to post anything)

So yeah hi, long time ubuntu user, longer time linux sysadmin

I promise to post more :^o

dvdjchvz
August 4th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am learning the ins and outs of Ubuntu and I am new to the forums. I work for a Wireless provider who pays for my school so I am currently taking classes for my Network+ Cert.. After that, I want to look into taking classes for Linux+. Anyway, I am looking forward to learning about Ubuntu and I've been told the support from the forums is essential.

thatguymark
August 4th, 2010, 11:26 PM
New here too, upgrading a notebook to an SSD drive and thought why not upgrade the OS to one with TRIM support, and why not free, why not Ubuntu?

purplegirl5
August 5th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Hi All! I installed Ubuntu a few days ago. I have always want to try it, but each time I did, ended up crashing my whole system. I recently found "Wubi", and it worked perfectly. Thank you! Thank you! So far so good. Experimenting with every thing.:D

varunendra
August 5th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Hi All! I installed Ubuntu a few days ago. I have always want to try it, but each time I did, ended up crashing my whole system. I recently found "Wubi", and it worked perfectly. Thank you! Thank you! So far so good. Experimenting with every thing.:D
Welcome-welcome to the forums!:D

Sorry about your "crash" tragedy, but glad you found WUBI helpful & enjoying ubuntu!
However, mind that WUBI is basically meant to provide a 'safe testing-environment' to windows users. If you ever wish to get a 100% performance, consider installing ubuntu in its own partition. (We are here to help- just a little care, and it won't crash again...:))

Caffeind
August 6th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Hi everyone,

I just switched over to Ubunto two days ago after spending my whole life complaining about Windows but doing nothing about it.

And IMO, what an amazing OS. My only regret is not changing over earlier.

My biggest concern, I guess, was the ability to continue the software I was used to on Winblows, like World of Warcraft and Photoshop etc. WINE made this incredibly easy and, with WoW for example, I'm getting much better performance.

So, to summarise, I'm ecstatic with my new OS and can't wait to discover more about it.

Cheers.

JayHawkins
August 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm Dino, from Croatia. First time I used Ubuntu was out of pure curiosity when Ubuntu 5.10 came out. I never really got used to it. Over the years as new versions came out I always tried them out just for fun, I also tried out some Ubuntu Ultimate Edition versions, but ended up using Microsoft Windows again. When I first installed 10.04 a few months ago I was really fascinated and I'm still using it with rare switching to Windows just for gaming or whatever else.

Anyway, the forum helped me a lot to get to know Ubuntu and solve some problems eventhough I wasn't registered. I could still say that I've got much to learn.

So hi again and thanks for help in the past. :)

ccoelnslash
August 8th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Hey all, im Chris (ccoelnslash) been using linux since at least early high school. I taught students debian (my favorite distro other than ubuntu) and still learning many things about linux even though I taught using the Linux Documentation project as the curriculum :p. Mainly what i learn these days is bash scripting and configuring programs and redoing parts of the system.

Recently thought what the hey, install ubuntu on the laptop on my recovery partition (all 10gb) loved the look and feel and speed. Said screw Windows 7.. backed up all my docs and pics, wiped and did a full install on the whole HDD. I plan on dual-booting the desktop though unless i can get Wine to work with all my games correctly (this may actually be a reality if steam works):D

I hope to enjoy my time here on the forums.. Looks like a excellent community

CandidMan
August 8th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Hi there,
Been using Ubuntu since last Christmas since my I killed my XP system trying to protect it (http://forums.comodo.com/bug-reports-ctm/time-machine-gave-my-computers-a-blue-screen-t50459.0.html).

Chose Ubuntu mainly because my former housemate cos programming as part of his course, he does web server admin etc. and he seemed happy enough.

Have to say the command line isn't nearly as bad as any I thought it would be
I'm usually sudo-ing all day
):P

zaazz
August 10th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I've been playing with this OS over the years but not exclusively. sounds like a bad relationship doesn't it? Mostly I'm a gamer by night so I leave XP on my boxes but as each version is released there are more and more games that I seem to be able to get to work on this so I'm looking forward to this being my main OS of choice sooner then later.

Just call me Zaazz, I'm from MN, thanks.

sheepo
August 11th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Hey everyone, I'm John.

I first started using linux around three years ago and have been loving it since.

I first heard of linux about 4 - 5 years ago, when my brother told me about this weird thing called "Ubuntu" that was similar to windows, but was free!.

I'm predominantly a Mac user, but I have been trying to use Ubuntu and OS X side by side now a days. I can program in C and have been looking lately to learn to develop for linux.

I currently am running Ubuntu 9.10 on my old Dell Latitude D400 and I am planning on installing 10.04 onto a newer HP desktop of mine.

Well, see you around.

Old Codger
August 11th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hi, I'm Fred. I've been experimenting with Linux off and on for a few years: first Red hat, then SUSE, and now Ubuntu. Meanwhile, I've been primarily an Apple/Mac user, but once owned a Compaq with Windows 98SE. When I went back to Mac, I converted the PC to a Linux box. I first tried Red hat and hated it, but I enjoyed using SUSE. I recently installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my MacBook (along side MAc OS 10.6) and it ran pretty much "out of the box." Upgrading to 10.4 was more challenging. At first, nothing seemed to work. Thanks to the forums, I've picked up some good advice. For example, I was able to solve some of my initial problems with 10.4 by uninstalling it and then re-installing from from a CD. Wireless and peripherals work fine, even though I needed a little help, which the forums also supplied.

I'm currently trying to get up to speed learning and using some basic line code, but have been able to successfully fix some things by copying and pasting line code provided on the forums. The more I use Ubuntu, the more I enjoy it. I may soon install it on my iMac as well.

Dsafire
August 11th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Hello All :)

I've been running primarily on Ubuntu for a few months now and lurking the forums regularly. Now I've got the Hubby dual booting and I've almost got my Mom with her antique hardware fetish ready to try it.

Bronco24
August 12th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Hi, I'm from Poland. Migration from Win XP to Mandriva and now Ubuntu 10.04.
See U some time around...
;)

Porrhandske
August 12th, 2010, 07:50 PM
hi!

I am a ubuntu/debian/fedora user since 2,5 years back :) but I have not made a profile here until may this year for what reason i didn't make one before i do not know :P well I can say i am 18 years from sweden and bla bla bla.......

quntus
August 13th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Hi All http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/star.png

I'm a new addition to this site, so I just wanted to say Hello from

Ireland.hope there will be questions I can help you with and maybe

you can help me also, at the moment can't think of one but in time

I will .http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

jcolyn
August 13th, 2010, 02:28 AM
I finally made it over here to introduce myself.. My name is Colyn and I live in (hotter than Hell) Fort Worth, Texas...):P

I've used Linux off and on for several years now and only recently fully converted 100% to Linux. Kubuntu and Ubuntu. I'm even downloading Sabayon as I type this post.

I have my desktop running Kubuntu and two Dell laptops running Ubuntu..

For the most part people here seem pretty friendly so I'll be hanging around..

TheNerdAL
August 13th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I finally made it over here to introduce myself.. My name is Colyn and I live in (hotter than Hell) Fort Worth, Texas...):P

I've used Linux off and on for several years now and only recently fully converted 100% to Linux. Kubuntu and Ubuntu. I'm even downloading Sabayon as I type this post.

I have my desktop running Kubuntu and two Dell laptops running Ubuntu..

For the most part people here seem pretty friendly so I'll be hanging around..

Welcome to UbuntuForums! :D I live in Houston, Texas and it is hotter here. :P

Irthur Belle
August 13th, 2010, 02:51 AM
hi... put network in sudo grub.. er.. nevermind..

pipemartinm
August 13th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Hey,

I'm Matt, I'm a Network Engineer from Brisbane, Australia. I use a lot of RHEL at work but Ubuntu at home.

cmartin0
August 13th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I have been using ubuntu and other Linux distros off and on for about 4 years or so.

I am mostly in #ubuntu on freenode than in the forums here.

I am a computer engineering student at Oregon State Univeristy. I hope to work with Linux for a living, in school and as fun.

bgmainx
August 14th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Hello everyone! ):P

I'm Boby from Bulgaria. Ubuntu user since yesterday and I'm really proud of it (for some reason). : )

See you around!

robbiemacg
August 15th, 2010, 03:46 AM
I've been running Ubuntu 'seriously' for about 6 months.
I started using Ubuntu to save money, but now I can't get enough. I love being able to customize my experience, I love that sophisticated dev tools are available to everyone, I love the community support. I'm a very happy user.

*Side note: I knew nothing about how the tools I used everyday worked until I started using Ubuntu. I now understand the basic principals of computing! I have committed many Bash commands to memory, written my own scripts, and learned a good bit of Python.

**Another note: William Gibson's books now make more sense to me. HA!

xpowerfulxx
August 16th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Hai I'm xpowerfulxx lol late introduction. I was originally a PC gamer but then I wanted a change so I switched to Ubuntu 10.04.

tjktyler
August 16th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I'm Tyler, and I'm a computer science major at Boise State. I live and work in Boise, ID. I've used Ubuntu on and off since 8.04. This summer I've began getting involved in Ubuntu since it's much easier to develop software on Linux than Windows. Ubuntu is my distro of choice because of APT and the ease of updating software.

cro_409
August 17th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm Charlie, or CRO.
Although I am no stranger to the simple functions of Ubuntu, I have never had the time or computers to really try out the nearly endless possibilities until yesterday when I was given a computer that is not powerful enough to run my gaming needs, so I decided to turn into an entire Ubuntu-based desktop, and I am loving it. I have always been semi-aware of the potential, but I am really impressed with everything that I can do. I have lots of experience in computer technical assistance in both my personal and work life, so hopefully in the future I will be able to assist some people once I know how Ubuntu works a bit better.

Oxwivi
August 18th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I are self-taught geek who learns from tutorials and own experiences. IMO, Ubuntu rocks all of the computing aspects except gaming. Hi, and thanks for the great forums.

Not too experimental right now, since I only have one PC at my disposal, and need to keep it stable, but quite an experience trying to help a friend I introduced Ubuntu to.

Mr.Comix
August 18th, 2010, 10:00 AM
안녕하세요. 나는 코밐스입니다. 나는 Ubuntu를 공부합니다.
반갑습니다.

Oxwivi
August 18th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Teach me Chinese!

Mr.Comix
August 18th, 2010, 10:21 AM
are...are...are you...I? Teach you Chinese? I speak Chinese. But I have never taught anyone...

Renderd
August 18th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I would like to say sorry for posting in the wrong area i did not notice the thread but here is my introduction

hello, i am a new user to Linux, i started with deb was way to much for me... then moved from distro to distro if i can recall i went from gentoo... to suse, a few others i cant remember there names. to mint and now I am on Sabayon... which so far i really like and havnt had much problems with other then the usual i just google search to figure out. i mainly hang out in the general help topics to see if i can "learn" anything and i do here and there... anyway just posting to say hello and i am really enjoying linux... if anyone has and hints, tips really anything it would be appreciative.

I had a reply when i posted in the wrong area, I got gentoo working with allot of research and help from my uncle, who is a advid user of linux who switches distro's daily to find there problems then tries to fix them... I don't believe he gets on the forums because he does not like trollers or something, not my business, anyway its nice to look around the forums and see how nice everybody is. if I cant figure something out on my own, or cant figure it out with research i will differently post my problem here
Thanks for reading
-Renderd

Renderd
August 18th, 2010, 05:08 PM
@Mr.Comix (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1132512), hey thanks for posting in the thread (that i posted in wrong place >.<) anyway i was going to ask you how long have you ran linux and what distro are you using and how your are liking that distro?

Denis Krajnc
August 19th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Hello, I'm Denis. I'm from Slovenia, Europe. I'm fitness and Linux geek. I'm using Ubuntu for quite long time now and I enjoy it every day more.

krypted
August 19th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Hello, my name is Kyle. I just switched my laptop over to Linux. Thought it would be a good idea to join the forum. Tried almost every distro Linux has and finally got something other than Puppy working on my laptop. Currently running Jaunty on a Dell Inspiron 2650 (Old, I know) which seems to be working pretty well for the most part. Still have some bugs to sort out though. Very new to Linux but already learning. If I'm in need of help please be kind and try to bare with me. Great site btw, very informative and professional.:KS

leeb9972
August 19th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Him Im Lee from Dundee, Scotland
Just noticed i actually joined here in 2008, anyway i have 10.4 back on the laptop and hope to be here a bit more regularly

:D thanks

Lee):P

FaultyPly
August 20th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hello. I'm Dave from FL. I don't know much about computers at all, let alone Linux systems. I did graphic design for several years, and windows was always a pain. So, I am in the process of learning about what I am actually doing with a computer. Once I figure out what I am doing with a computer, I plan on running Xubuntu. Hopefully you guys will be a lot of help, cause I will really need it.

kyleabaker
August 22nd, 2010, 06:46 AM
My name's Kyle. I've been a member for a while, but never made it far outside of the development forum. I've been using Ubuntu for a few years now and love it, even blog out it fairly often..
http://kyleabaker.com/

dinamic1
August 23rd, 2010, 05:02 AM
hi, i don't have a name, i'm not from Earth but i love Ubuntu! :popcorn:

fiyer
August 24th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Hi, I just started with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on Saturday.

My 4yr old XP desktop kindly informed me that hard-drive failure was imminent, so I backed up all my files, got a new hard-drive and installed Ubuntu. (I did not bother partitioning because I absolutely do not need Windows for anything on that computer).

I am very pleased so far. It almost seems too easy. It auto recognized my printer and scanner, which with XP, I had to hunt for drivers and do some trickery to get them to work. That scanner is too old to work with Windows Vista and 7, so I am very happy to not have to purchase a new scanner!

Khafka
August 24th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Hey there. I'm Mark, mainly known as Smudge though but you can take your pick on that one.

I've just installed Ubuntu and I'm very new to it but so far I'm enjoying using it.

No doubt I will be pestering you fine people every two minutes with minor problems. So, sorry in advance. :)

I'm a big music fan, mainly rock/metal stuff though. If you're interested; my favourite bands would probably be: Dream Theater, Om,Sleep, Eyehategod, Electric Wizard, Pelican, Isis, Godflesh, Nadja

Anything else you wanna know just ask. :)

Error: Unknown
August 25th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I suppose my name describes me. I'm a bit of a confused guy. I have a lot to learn

puddytat1975
August 25th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Hello, my name is Lisa and I've been using Ubuntu for 3 days now and am loving it so far. I'm looking forward to learning all kinds of fun stuff on the forums. :D

bshosey
August 25th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hello, my name is Lisa and I've been using Ubuntu for 3 days now and am loving it so far. I'm looking forward to learning all kinds of fun stuff on the forums. :D

This is my wifes first post to the forums. I am really excited for her to learn a lot from these forums and meat new friends like I have. I been using ubuntu sense version 6.10