PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Bill Gates piece

swoll1980
April 10th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gOrWBPt1bA&feature=related)

NightwishFan
April 10th, 2010, 05:53 AM
I have nothing against Bill. Really, as long as I am not in the grip of Microsoft I do not mind them at all. Thanks for the link.

kyle99
April 10th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I'm not a huge microsoft fan, but I have lot's of respect for Bill Gates.

Swagman
April 10th, 2010, 09:08 AM
:lolflag:

He wants to give all his money away.

After doing a deal with the devil you aint gonna buy your way out of the deal.

He's going down

Let it rock

:guitar: :guitar:

gemmakaru
April 10th, 2010, 09:59 AM
That kept me interested for a while watching all the parts then a few related ones too. It's quite a fascinating story, as a computer geek it's like really important to know also.

Dayofswords
April 10th, 2010, 10:14 AM
i'm now starting part 6

Khakilang
April 10th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I'm not a huge microsoft fan, but I have lot's of respect for Bill Gates.

Same here!!!

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 10th, 2010, 12:26 PM
He's decided not to pass on his whole "24 billion dollar" fortune to his children huh? lolololololol

This is really old though. I'm sure Melinda has had a huge role to play in Bill's philanthropy.

NCLI
April 10th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I must say, it's been getting a lot easier not to like Microsoft after Bill left the company to Ballmer.

dragos240
April 10th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Bill even donates a lot of his money to charity. Awesome.

JDShu
April 10th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Bill Gates is a shrewd businessman, but hes also a guy who cares about humanity. You may say that its a billionaire's moral obligation to give back to society, but in practice not that many do. If we have to have billionaires, we need more like Gates and Buffett.

mick222
April 10th, 2010, 02:15 PM
This program is almost 2 years old. Bill Gates has always given generously to charity.

swoll1980
April 10th, 2010, 04:44 PM
This program is almost 2 years old. Bill Gates has always given generously to charity.

It's new to many of us though. I have never seen it. Just thought I would share it for anyone else that hasn't seen it.

swoll1980
April 10th, 2010, 04:47 PM
He wants to give all his money away.

After doing a deal with the devil you aint gonna buy your way out of the deal.He's going down Let it rock

You have much to learn about life, and the meaning of it.

tkblackbelt
April 10th, 2010, 04:51 PM
So hes not giving any money to his kids?

Anita_Tsai
April 10th, 2010, 04:52 PM
yeap,Bill Gates is great man,my one of the most respected :)

DrMelon
April 10th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I think it's good that he's not giving the money to his kids - he's not giving them an unfair advantage over other people's children, and hey: he started from the bottom, so if he can do that, his kids should too.

swoll1980
April 10th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I think it's good that he's not giving the money to his kids - he's not giving them an unfair advantage over other people's children, and hey: he started from the bottom, so if he can do that, his kids should too.

I'm sure his children will be set for life. He never said he wasn't going to give his kids money. He could give a away 99% of his fortune, and his children would still become instant multi-millionaires when he died. 1% of his fortune would be about $500,000,000

cmat
April 10th, 2010, 05:12 PM
If he's not leaving his kids any money then he's surely going to leave his Microsoft stocks.

sudoer541
April 10th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I watched a video of Bill Gates presentation. Now he is into science lol and he wants to wipe out 1/4 of the population with vaccines . I think thats bad!!!!

spoons
April 10th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Gates has been doing an awful lot of good since he left MS and he was essentially the driving force behind Microsoft's success. He is a man who can put his mind to something and get it done and it's good to see that he's doing positive things with his fortune.

Swagman
April 10th, 2010, 10:09 PM
He was the harvard drop out son of very influential parents.

It's not what you know, It's who you know.

Who do you think mummy gates pointed Mr IBM to when Mr IBM couldn't get hold of Mr Dr Dos ?

She knew darling William had just used some of his allowance to buy DOS from a failed coder in a pub.

wojox
April 10th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I watched the video and didn't learn anything I had not new prior. If you want to really learn some good info go buy the book "The Long Road Ahead". I fills in all the nooks and crannies about who he is and where he came from. As well as what he's done to contribute to technology.

Swagman
April 10th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I watched the video and didn't learn anything I had not new prior. If you want to really learn some good info go buy the book "The Long Road Ahead". I fills in all the nooks and crannies about who he is and where he came from. As well as what he's done to Stifle technology.

Fixed

TheNerdAL
April 10th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I want to be like Bill Gates when I Get older, but better. ;) I don't use any Microsoft product, I think.

chriswyatt
April 10th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Fixed

I lolled

RiceMonster
April 10th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Fixed

*sigh*

Simian Man
April 10th, 2010, 11:22 PM
He's definitely done more good in the world than, say, Richard Stallman.

QwUo173Hy
April 10th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Yes, I remember reading several years ago that their (Bill & Melinda) foundation has vaccinated entire countries. That's simply great.

Also, I believe that I wouldn't be enjoying linux as I am today if it wasn't for Bills vision of a PC in every home. That platform he laid out has actually been the foundation of our community and works.

NCLI
April 10th, 2010, 11:32 PM
So hes not giving any money to his kids?
IIRC, he's giving them a few millions, 25 each. The rest goes to various projects and charities when he dies. I don't think he's giving them any MS stock because, and this is going by m faulty memory, he wants them to do something themselves, and not simply live off of his work.

He's definitely done more good in the world than, say, Richard Stallman.

Ouch. Sad but true, and I can't help but get the feeling that Stallman wouldn't do as much good even if he had the money.

J V
April 10th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Bill even donates a lot of his money to charity. Awesome.When calculating his savings, to the savings of the average human being he donates... 0.001 usd per year... Right, lots of money... if I give a homeless guy a quarter I'm two and a half times more charitable than bill gates :?... in my whole life :D

Edit: Its more like 1.8 us cents per year (Assuming a global average of 1000 usd savings per person... And that he is counting all his money in that 25bil quote, while officially its 53bil (forbes), and that his liquid funds are all he has... And that he will live to be 100... I'm still more charitable than bill gates with a one-time donation of 1 euro...)

chriswyatt
April 10th, 2010, 11:48 PM
That cheeseburger combo fact just blew my mind :O, unimaginable wealth.

phrostbyte
April 11th, 2010, 01:39 AM
In some ways Microsoft enables free software. For instance, if IE didn't kill off Netscape, Netscape would have likely kept their code closed. Firefox probably wouldn't exist.

RabbitWho
April 11th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I kinda feel like he's someone that stole 100 euro from me, turned it into 1000 euro, and gave 900 dollars to charity and kept the 100 for himself.

I can't feel mad at him.

Edit: Its more like 1.8 us cents per year (Assuming a global average of 1000 usd savings per person... And that he is counting all his money in that 25bil quote, while officially its 53bil (forbes), and that his liquid funds are all he has... And that he will live to be 100... I'm still more charitable than bill gates with a one-time donation of 1 euro...)
Citation needed

All the guy does now is work for charities. I don't think he even plays tetris.

phibxr
April 11th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I kinda feel like he's someone that stole 100 euro from me, turned it into 1000 euro, and gave 900 dollars to charity and kept the 100 for himself.

I can't feel mad at him.

This could quite possibly be the best quote I've ever read. :D

NightwishFan
April 11th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Stallman just does what he believes in.

RabbitWho
April 11th, 2010, 01:25 PM
When calculating his savings, to the savings of the average human being he donates... 0.001 usd per year... Right, lots of money... if I give a homeless guy a quarter I'm two and a half times more charitable than bill gates :?... in my whole life :D

Update, i checked it out:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1027878/Bill-Gates-pledges-58-billion-fortune-charity--children.html

He's given at least 28 billion to charity, I can't find exact figures for 2010

http://bwnt.businessweek.com/interactive_reports/philanthropy_individual/

That's almost half his money.

Please don't lie/make stuff up and pretend it's fact, someone probably read that and thought it was true

This could quite possibly be the best quote I've ever read. :D

I'm glad you feel the same! :)