PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Eclipse Crashes

Ibrahim mufeed
April 9th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Hi all,

I am facing a problem with Eclipse after I installed it today. It keeps closing [unexpectedly] after I click a choice like closing one of the pop-up windows that shows after I choose an option from the menus in the top. With no errors returned or shows up!

As an example, when I choose to create new project, and fill in the project information [Name, type, path] and when I click FINISH all Eclipse closes, and I need to re-open it again [I find the project that I created there].

Any idea??

GregBrannon
April 10th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Need more info. How did you install it? Which version of Eclipse did you install? What version of Ubuntu are you useing? Are your other Java programs working OK? Did you install anything else today, including Java? Was this a fresh install of Eclipse? What other Eclipse buttons cause it to crash?

I'm grasping at straws a little to find something useful, because there's not much to go on with what you've been able to provide so far. I've used Eclipse for months in 3 different OS environments, 32- and 64-bit, using both Open and Sun JREs and haven't seen the problem you describe.

Don't give up. It's a great IDE and normally works great.

Ibrahim mufeed
April 10th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Thank you GregBrannon for your help, here are the details you asked for:
I am using Ubuntu 9.10, Eclipse is version: 3.5.1, I installed it by the command [sudo apt-get install eclipse]. I think that all other Java stuff works fine since I installed them early time ago. But yesterday I found one more problem I am not sure if it has something to do with this one that is: Firefix keeps asking to install missing plug-ins for the Java in-order to run Java applet. Even I did installed it. And when I choose to install it firefox says that it is already installed. And I can not see the Java applet on the webpage as in here: http://siebn.de/other/tabusearch/#top

I installed nothing else. Yes it was a fresh install for Eclipse. Regarding the problem itself: As I said, when I create a new project and once I click the Finish button all Eclipse closes. Or When I choose the Run option and play with the parameter for the running and once I click ok or the X on the top of the window the whole Eclipse closes. These are not the only cases... By the way last night late I uninstall-ed it and then reinstalled it again but the same problem still there.

I installed it on Windows XP, and it works fine but I prefer to work on Ubuntu.

Thanks..

GregBrannon
April 10th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Something's wrong with your Java install. Either it's incomplete, incompatible, or both.

Go through this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

and see if that helps.

Ibrahim mufeed
April 10th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Thank you again GregBrannon, I will check this out soon. And I will see what will happen. I really appreciate your help.