PDA

View Full Version : [other] IBM 300PL Asset ID Tag

Tristanm1
April 9th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I've got a bunch of old IBM 300PL desktops that I got from a small school that was upgrading their computer lab. My aunt works there and got them to give me the computers instead of tossing them out. I want to set up these machines as a computing cluster, but I've run into a problem with the security on these buggers. It turns out they have some obnoxious security that I accidentally tripped as it began to report that the Asset ID tag has been changed. I have attempted to remove the tag, but despite having reset the BIOS and messed with the settings, I can't seem to disable the Asset ID security setting despite having manually switched those setting off in the BIOS.

If anyone is familiar with the security on these old computers, please help me disable it.

solitaire
April 9th, 2010, 10:22 PM
might be a couple of things

http://krysss.blogspot.com/2008/06/ibm-300pl-desktop-unable-to-boot.html

Tristanm1
April 9th, 2010, 10:46 PM
The capacitors aren't showing any signs of problem (bulging or leaking), and the other things aren't helping. The CMOS jumper, interestingly, will not reset BIOS settings, but I can gain access to the BIOS setup by pulling the CMOS battery and disconnecting AC power. Unfortunately, that access hasn't helped much as disabling the Asset ID tag doesn't actually disable it. Given that this began to occur directly after I messed with the Asset ID tag, it seems like it may be something I did in the first place.