PDA

View Full Version : Hurrah! Ubuntu default search back to Google

Duncan J Murray
April 9th, 2010, 09:49 PM
It seems like canonical have ditched their previous decision to make some pennies by defaulting to yahoo/bing search..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/08/ubuntu_yahoo_google_lucid_lynx/

I think this is great news, and hope that Ubuntu continues to be the operating system that competes by being better than the rest.

Duncan.

swoll1980
April 9th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Who cares. It's changeable in 2 seconds. I say whatever makes them more money.

dryicebomb
April 9th, 2010, 10:25 PM
that is good news, down with yahoo.

Bachstelze
April 9th, 2010, 10:27 PM
:(

FuturePilot
April 9th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Now maybe all the "OMG BING" posts can stop. :P

Uncle Spellbinder
April 9th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Yahoo! search sucks. Google Search is, by leaps and bounds, the best on the web. But, as has bee stated here (and elsewhere), why does any of this matter? Changing the search engine is easier than changing the desktop background.

LowSky
April 9th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Changing the search engine is easier than changing the desktop background.

I disagree....

change desktop background
right click on desktop, choose change desktop background, pick new background

vs

change default search engine
open Firefox, type Google's address in search bar, click on bookmarks, bookmark this page, then choose what to name the new book mark and where it will be place...

Conclusion

Changing desktop is easier:lolflag:

FuturePilot
April 9th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I disagree....

vs

open Firefox, type Google's address in search bar, click on bookmarks, bookmark this page, then choose what to name the new book mark and where it will be place...

Conclusion

Um no. Click the dropdown menu in the search box and select Google. Done.

Uncle Spellbinder
April 10th, 2010, 07:10 AM

Spot on.

I'm shocked that there's still someone who has no clue on how easy to change the default search engine.

RiceMonster
April 10th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I never understood why people cared what the default search engine is. Are they unable to change it or something?

Claus7
April 10th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Hello,

I disagree....

vs

Conclusion

Spot on.

I'm shocked that there's still someone who has no clue on how easy to change the default search engine.

Think LowSky was just kidding. At least this is what I got from the "tone" of his "voice", along with the lol icon in the end of his story. At least reading it, I got a smile on my face.:)

Regards!

PS: Since it is so easy to change it, no problem with me as well.

Giant Speck
April 10th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Damn. I was really hoping for a takeover of Canonical by Microsoft. By allowing Canonical to make money off using a search engine powered by their own software, they were really getting their foot in the door.

Oh well, Canonical not making money at Microsoft's expense means my shill checks from Steve Ballmer won't be getting smaller any time soon! :D

madhi19
April 10th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I really don't care one way or another if Canonical can make more money that way good for them! I got about a dozen search engine installed and I always end up reverting back to google!

-jay-
April 10th, 2010, 08:49 AM
seriously it should be left to the user to decide if she or he wants to use yahoo or google or what other search engine they perfer using

myself i use google been using google for several years now