PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Netbook and ubuntu desktop

Maupertus
April 9th, 2010, 09:41 PM
This may be a silly question, but that's why I post it in the Absolute Beginner forum but:

I don't feel the need to install the Netbook version on my Eee pc, so I've installed the desktop version. Although it runs perfectly and I can just run Do and minimize the bars for my ideal setup I was wondering if I need to install additional packages that are aimed at my intel-proc. etc.

Although Lucid is very very battery friendly for my eee, I was just wondering if I could do some additional tweaking.

Thanks in advance!

snowpine
April 9th, 2010, 09:58 PM
The only big difference between Ubuntu and Ubuntu Netbook Remix is the user interface.

Intel processors are very well supported by the Linux kernel itself, and therefore by all Linux distros. :)

I own two netbooks and have never seen any need for a special "netbook" interface; I would rather use the same interface as my desktop, personally.

gare
April 9th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hi --

I have remix on one old dell mini 9 that we do basic surfing on .

Otherwise , use desktop version on our dell mini 10. wife uses it more like a laptop, with heavy emailing, etc. (In fact, the netbook remix was bad for this version of mini 10 inspiron. desktop version runs great on it though.)

rabiabidabi
April 9th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I use the desktop version on my eee. I didn't like UNR as the GUI was cartoony and the windows didn't seem to size correctly. I use the eee for everything and the Ubuntu desktop runs perfectly.

Maupertus
April 10th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Ah, nice! And good to hear I'm not the only one that doesn't really see the need for a new interface (I just like a clean desktop) Have to say I have installed maximus when I was running 9.10 and that does have some advantages in screen real estate.

Then maybe a small follow up question, as Moblin (or MeeGo) is aimed at Atom based netbooks, does the Moblin Remix offer any benefits except a different user interface?

Tikkyca
April 10th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Naa,don't install netbook remix,it is the same,just with different user interface,also desktop edition is a little bit faster i belive.

3rdalbum
April 10th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Then maybe a small follow up question, as Moblin (or MeeGo) is aimed at Atom based netbooks, does the Moblin Remix offer any benefits except a different user interface?

I don't think there are any non-UI advantages to the Moblin remix of Ubuntu. True Moblin will have a quicker bootup time but much smaller program selection, so I'd stick with Ubuntu.

I use Ubuntu Desktop on my netbook.