PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu will not start up after install

bnrauch
April 9th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I am a Linux newbie, I installed version 9.10 32 bit on my new MSi a6200 lap top using wubi.
I installed it with-in windows. After restarting and selecting Ubuntu it shows the message finishing install then the screen gos blank. I can here the hard drive spinning but nothing comes up on the display. Has anyone else experinced this same issue if so what is the fix. Please be detailed as I am fairly new to this.

_BIG_
April 26th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I am a Linux newbie, I installed version 9.10 32 bit on my new MSi a6200 lap top using wubi.
I installed it with-in windows. After restarting and selecting Ubuntu it shows the message finishing install then the screen gos blank. I can here the hard drive spinning but nothing comes up on the display. Has anyone else experinced this same issue if so what is the fix. Please be detailed as I am fairly new to this.

im having the same exact problem with the same model laptop

msi a6200 = msi cr620

but msi doesnt have anything for unbuntu/linux help or drivers that i can tell

i just did this same install on my desktop and worked fine. if you let it sit on the blank screen right after install it finishes the install just like my desktop did BUT you cant see anything on the laptop. it restarts then back to the blank screen where i imagine the login is sitting we just cant see it

edit:

lol for the hell of it i hit enter and put in my password, hit enter again and i heard the load up sound....but still no visual

P4man
April 26th, 2010, 10:27 AM
edit: disregard, seeing you can log in, its nothing with grub.

P4man
April 26th, 2010, 10:29 AM
lol for the hell of it i hit enter and put in my password, hit enter again and i heard the load up sound....but still no visual

Try this: press control alt F1. Do you get a full screen "dos" screen? If so, press control alt F7. Do you get a GUI now ?

Also is it possible the screen is working but no backlight? Try looking very hard if you cant see something on the screen in bright light.

_BIG_
April 26th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Try this: press control alt F1. Do you get a full screen "dos" screen? If so, press control alt F7. Do you get a GUI now ?

Also is it possible the screen is working but no backlight? Try looking very hard if you cant see something on the screen in bright light.

after ive logged in right?
i can tell i logged in from the startup sound
control + alt + F1 does nothing for me that i can tell
controla + alt + F7 does nothing for me that i can tell

there is definatley backlighting the screen is glowing but black

same thing happens in recovery mode as well

dannyboy79
April 26th, 2010, 09:56 PM
sounds like a video card driver problem. try this
after the computer is booted up fully.
then hit ctrl-alt-F1, you should be brought to a dos looking screen asking you for your username.
enter the username you created during install, enter password you chose. once in here issue this command

sudo service gdm stop
also we need to find out what grpahics card you ahve. issue

lspci > lspci.log
and tell us what the output is. easiest way instead of writing it all down is this.

sudo aptitude install pastebinit
enter your password.
once it's done installing issue this

pastebinit lspci.log
that should spit back a link to a pastebin website where that file just for uploaded.
tell us what that link is. good luck

_BIG_
April 26th, 2010, 10:09 PM
danny - when i hit control alt f1 i get no change in appearance. im sure its there but i cant see anything

i also tried to boot from the cd "try ubuntu without changing anything on your computer" and it gives me the same blank screen

P4man
April 26th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Can you try booting the live cd in safe graphics mode?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=bootf4.png

dannyboy79
April 26th, 2010, 10:16 PM
chiggidy check this out YO:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1317951

should solve your problem as the MSI has an intel graphics card

_BIG_
April 26th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Can you try booting the live cd in safe graphics mode?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=bootf4.png

no i cant :\.....wait i just did...it went blank for awhile then squiggly after 5 mins and all of a sudden the desktop showed up

danny -
thise helped get the little white ubuntu logo in the middle of the screen but then back to blank screen again

hehe... been there to.

Just add i915.modeset=0 to your kernel parameters.

If you are using karmic, this is situated in /boot/grub/gru.cfg.

I changed mine like this....

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=74befa82-a138-491d-9188-84b1888aed00 ro quiet splash i915.modeset=0

as of right now i am seeing my desktop on the livecd ...not sure if its safe graphics mode or not tho...

_BIG_
April 27th, 2010, 12:55 AM
i dont know if this will help but my laptop has an intel i5 430m with intel gma hd which is on the cpu i believe. might help you guys help me lol

_BIG_
April 27th, 2010, 01:59 AM
fixed the problem magically!

1. highlight ubuntu recovery mode and press e
2. look for the line that ends with the word SINGLE after it type in nomodeset
3. ctrl +x
4 choose update bad packages i think thats what it said)
5. let it run and till its done then reboot

basically upgraded everything like it would when you first get into the desktop and do the updates

hope this helps

dannyboy79
April 27th, 2010, 04:13 PM
fixed the problem magically!

1. highlight ubuntu recovery mode and press e
2. look for the line that ends with the word SINGLE after it type in nomodeset
3. ctrl +x
4 choose update bad packages i think thats what it said)
5. let it run and till its done then reboot

basically upgraded everything like it would when you first get into the desktop and do the updates

hope this helps
mark it solved please. glad you got it sorted out

svenaustx
July 12th, 2011, 09:42 PM
sounds like a video card driver problem. try this
after the computer is booted up fully.
then hit ctrl-alt-F1, you should be brought to a dos looking screen asking you for your username.
enter the username you created during install, enter password you chose. once in here issue this command

sudo service gdm stop
also we need to find out what grpahics card you ahve. issue

lspci > lspci.log
and tell us what the output is. easiest way instead of writing it all down is this.

sudo aptitude install pastebinit
enter your password.
once it's done installing issue this

pastebinit lspci.log
that should spit back a link to a pastebin website where that file just for uploaded.
tell us what that link is. good luck