PDA

View Full Version : Pay to use the bathroom on flights?

earthpigg
April 9th, 2010, 06:26 PM
source (http://consumerist.com/2010/04/ryanair-going-ahead-with-pay-to-potty-plan.html):

Ryanair Going Ahead With Pay-To-Potty Plan

Almost a year after announcing their plans to charge passengers for using toilets on their planes, discount airline Ryanair is finally pushing ahead with not only installing the pay potties on their jets, but cutting down the number of toilets available to passengers.

Or as the very British Daily Mail puts it: "Spending a penny on a flight will soon cost as much as a pound."

Ryanair is currently redesigning their cabins to install the pay toilets on 168 of their planes, which will cost about $1.40 per trip to the loo. Additionally, they are cutting the number of toilets on the plane to make room for extra seats.

Says a rep for Ryanair:

By charging for the toilets we are hoping to change passenger behaviour so that they use the bathroom before or after the flight... That will enable us to remove two out of three of the toilets and make way for at least six extra seats on board.

i think if i unknowingly ever take a flight with a pay-to-pee plan, i'd offer the airline staff a choice:

i can either pee here in my seat for free, or i can pee in the bathroom for free. your choice.

whiskeylover
April 9th, 2010, 06:29 PM
source (http://consumerist.com/2010/04/ryanair-going-ahead-with-pay-to-potty-plan.html):

i think if i unknowingly ever take a flight with a pay-to-pee plan, i'd offer the airline staff a choice:

i can either pee here in my seat for free, or i can pee in the bathroom for free. your choice.

Or pee on the bathroom countertops.

If I'm in a hurry to pee, and can't find a quarter, don't expect me to hold it till we land.

blur xc
April 9th, 2010, 06:32 PM
ditto- could be whole new use for the in flight barf bags... (to the flight attendtant) "...Um Miss? Could you please dispose of this for me??" (hands over a bag filled with a warm yellow liquid...)

:D

BM

Cuddles McKitten
April 9th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Men will just end up going in bottles under blankets... assuming that they don't forgo the bottle...

Though this does give me glee imagining semi-drunken British businessmen flying to some Mediterranean hot spot tossing around a warm, full bottle of urine between his friends -- perhaps missing and striking a stately, elderly woman with a large, straw hat on the side of the head.

bwhite82
April 9th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah this is ludicrous and won't be tolerated by fliers who have to accomplish a basic human need. I remember going to Paris a number of years ago and seeing all of these pay-to-use toilets scattered around the city. Solution for most folks? Urinating in plain view near by.

swoll1980
April 9th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Nothing a few dookies on the floor wont fix.

mcduck
April 9th, 2010, 10:55 PM
When it comes to Ryanair, I don't really care if they started charging for oxygen or something... I've done one trip on their planes and it wasn't really worth the few euros I saved compared to flying on other companies.

Considering that the airports they used on both ends were further away from where I was traveling the bus tickets and extra travel time made the price difference pretty much negligible. And having to pay extra for everything, and then listen for advertisements on their lottery tickets and other stuff during the flight wasn't really worth it.

Next time I did the same trip I used another company instead, paid 10 euros more (than Ryanair's tickets plus bus tickets), got a comfortable seat, good service, free meal, and was able to carry a baggage with me without having to pay extra.

Cheap tickets don't always mean that you'd actually travel any cheaper in the end.

Uncle Spellbinder
April 9th, 2010, 10:58 PM
I suppose they'll be charging to fart next?

swoll1980
April 9th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I suppose they'll be charging to fart next?

Aren't we already paying a clean air tax?

immoweichert
April 9th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I am already taking my own food with me on short haul flights, guess I'm gonna get myself the flight nappy :P !!!!

Hman242
April 9th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I wonder if they can kick you off the plane if you just go in your pants. We should start a revolution, either toilets are free or the plane smells terrible. Don't buy diappers either, that's just more money someone gets because of this.

immoweichert
April 9th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Men will just end up going in bottles under blankets... assuming that they don't forgo the bottle...

Though this does give me glee imagining semi-drunken British businessmen flying to some Mediterranean hot spot tossing around a warm, full bottle of urine between his friends -- perhaps missing and striking a stately, elderly woman with a large, straw hat on the side of the head.

... not just men ... women will soon be able to buy the gogirl funnel in every airport and might even get it as a promotional present at the travel agents.

http://www.newser.com/story/81125/for-10-women-can-now-pee-standing-up.html

sydbat
April 10th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Aren't we already paying a clean air tax?
I lol'd.

Directive 4
April 10th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Yeah this is ludicrous and won't be tolerated by fliers who have to accomplish a basic human need. I remember going to Paris a number of years ago and seeing all of these pay-to-use toilets scattered around the city. Solution for most folks? Urinating in plain view near by.

i like the way efforts to keep hobo's out result in turning everyone into a hobo,

markp1989
April 10th, 2010, 01:06 AM
i dont really see a problem with it, when i was on a coach trip through europe toilets in the service station cost 1 euro.

people used to pay to go toilet every where (well my nan says thats where the term spend a peny comes from, dont know how much truth there is in it.)

at the end of the day, ryan air are a budget air line

lisati
April 10th, 2010, 01:08 AM
people used to pay to go toilet every where (well my nan says thats where the term spend a peny comes from, dont know how much truth there is in it.

+1. I believe this is also the origin of the classic poem, "Here I sit, borken hearted,...."

Lightstar
April 10th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Wow that's stupid.
I'd boycott any air line that does that.

toupeiro
April 10th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Wow that's stupid.
I'd boycott any air line that does that.

Same here.

It takes between 8-9 in-air hours to fly from Los Angeles, CA to Washington, D.C. I would never, ever, fly a stateside airline that adopts this policy. Besides, plane toilets are horrible. I don't know anybody who actually wants to use them, let alone pay for one. Most people, I would think, want out of them as fast as humanly possible. It's bad enough that its near impossible to find an airline who doesn't charge per checked/carry-on bag regardless of weight. Since 9-11, airlines stateside fly less planes to crowd more people on flights, charge more per flight, constantly overbook, offer less for your dollar, and are horridly tardy. I really dislike that whole industry right now..

gymophett
April 10th, 2010, 01:46 AM
+1. I believe this is also the origin of the classic poem, "Here I sit, borken hearted,...."

Other people know this poem? Hehe. Thought it wasn't common. :D

spoons
April 10th, 2010, 01:46 AM
The reason RyanAir do this is because they reduce the cost of your ticket and make everything extra. My brother used to work for them as cabin crew and he'd have to meet a quota as to how much money he squeezed out of the customers per seat on drinks and such.

oxf
April 10th, 2010, 02:31 AM
You know I've flown on several budget airlines and had a relatively good experience if you view it by the standard of "budget". Easy Jet is actually quite good as is ThomsonFLy etc. But I will never ever consider Ryan Air be it the way out airports. the flight times, the CEO who is a ********* by all accounts. I mean they've even got into trouble by trying to charge handicapped passengers for using wheel chairs once.
Just not worth it...!
And you have to wonder if they cut costs with their aircraft maintenance?