PDA

View Full Version : honey bees still in decline this year

sdowney717
April 9th, 2010, 06:01 PM
http://www.physorg.com/news189058713.html

I have not seen a bee yet this year and I saw maybe one last year.
A few years ago, there were thousands of bees, now none.
Anyone else not seeing honey bees?

Swagman
April 9th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Saw one today on my path. Poor bugger was dying so it must've stung something. (I assume)

Directive 4
April 9th, 2010, 06:44 PM
everytime i kill a bee,

i make sure no other bee's are watching,

just in case they get to ploting...

MooPi
April 9th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Honey bees seem to be making a come back here in the States. I saw one just yesterday which is actually out of the ordinary. Usually don't see them till it's a bit warmer.

ladypcer
April 9th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I see lots of bees, but I'm a beekeeper. :)
I did notice a decline in bees a few years ago, and that's when I started keeping bees. I'm glad that you brought it up here, because the loss of our bees is a serious problem.

Ric_NYC
April 9th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Mystery of honey bee die-off puzzles experts

DAVIS, CA - For several years, honey bees have been mysteriously disappearing across the country. Researchers in California are now examining several theories into Colony Collapse Disorder, or CCD.

"Unexpectedly, a colony with a pretty good healthy population of bees, suddenly just becomes empty," said Dr. Eric Mussen, UC Davis honey bee expert. "And we have absolutely no idea of exactly what causes that to happen."

Researchers believe the causes of CCD, may include pesticides building up inside hives, viruses or bacteria, parasites, poor nutrition, or a combination of things. But the result is clear.

"The adult bees simply fly off and disappear somewhere," said Mussen, leaving the queen and her brood to die.

Tom Parisian first noticed the die-off two winters ago. His bees were fine at Thanksgiving but after Christmas, many of the hives had deteriorated or died.

http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?storyid=78784&catid=2

Angelasutton
April 9th, 2010, 06:58 PM
The honey bees maybe but the carpenter bees are all around!

------------------

funny jokes (http://www.funnyandjokes.com/)

Doctor Mike
April 9th, 2010, 07:27 PM
everytime i kill a bee,

just in case they get to ploting...LOL... They've all taken jobs in the greenhouse industry...

FuturePilot
April 9th, 2010, 08:06 PM
everytime i kill a bee,

just in case they get to ploting...

I must be high on their hit list. They're always after me :P

BigSilly
April 9th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Actually, I've seen a few bees already this year. Big buggers too. Problem is, because the weather is a bit changeable at the moment, they seem to be struggling. But so far I've already seen more bees than I did the whole of last year.

Hope that bodes well...

sanderella
April 9th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I saw 6 or 7 big fat bees today.

sudoer541
April 9th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I saw 6 or 7 big fat bees today.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!
I hate bugs!!!

toupeiro
April 10th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I see at least 2-3 bees at any point in time during the day on a flowering shrub we have in the front yard of our home. It's been pretty consistent the last few years I've lived here. We always have them around the plants and trees near the pool.

handy
April 10th, 2010, 01:50 AM
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/patna/Honey-production-falls-as-bees-dying/articleshow/5683667.cms

There have also been reports stating that mobile phone networks may be involved in this problem.

Albert Einstein said that if we loose all of the bee population on Earth, humanity would last about 4 years before becoming extinct. (loose translation)

PJAMA
April 10th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Bees may be in decline, but there's a yellow jacket nest in my neighbor's yard. They were swarming today even though it was cold. I don't worry about them as long as they leave our human nests alone. I'm not allergic to bees, but the buzzing sound really creeps me out. :(

3rdalbum
April 10th, 2010, 02:21 AM
The bees disappearing means that the Daleks are going to invade!

(i wonder if the writers of Dr Who knew that the bees were already starting to disappear?)

oldsoundguy
April 10th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Joke you may, kiddies. BUT, without honey bees, most of the FOOD crops (both animal and human) will not get pollinated and thus NOT GROW.
That means you starve to death along with the rest of us.

An example, in China there is an area that is so polluted that bees have not been there in years. The area grows pears .. so HUMANS have to pollinate by hand .. makes those pears the most expensive in the world.

Can you imagine trying to pollinate a bean field or corn field BY HAND?

handy
April 10th, 2010, 06:13 AM
The problem is that we don't know what to do about this incredibly serious problem (for sure) yet.

If it comes down to not using so many chemicals in our farming, you can imagine how popular that will be with the hugely wealthy mega-corps & their shareholders, that are involved in the chemical/pharmaceutical industry?

Corps of such power & wealth, so often tell national governments what to do.