PDA

View Full Version : Linux MP3 Players

HokeyFry
March 15th, 2006, 10:01 PM
My iPod was stolen last week. It made me very sad.

However, I am over it and am in the market for a new music player. And considering how I get to start fresh, I was wondering if there are any mp3 players out there that can play linux sound formats (as well as mp3s). Formats I want to be able to play are pretty much .mp3s, .oggs, and/or flacs (don't know the extension for a flac audio). Does anyone know of such an mp3 player?

aysiu
March 15th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I believe iRivers play .oggs.

stuporglue
March 15th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Carefull though!

My mother in law got an iRiver for Christmas. It did play Ogg, but only worked on Windows! It used PTP (I think) to transfer files and didn't work on Linux or OSX.

Her's was a T10.

Their support was unresponsive as well.

John.Michael.Kane
March 15th, 2006, 10:25 PM
http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/ultra/t10/T10-1GB.aspx --> Plays MP3, WMA and OGG music files.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&description=ogg&Submit=ENE&Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

HokeyFry
March 15th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks, but I am more interested in a hard drive based mp3 player. Thanks for the info, though!:)

John.Michael.Kane
March 15th, 2006, 10:29 PM
the newegg link is for HDD based ones...

HokeyFry
March 15th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the responses so far guys! I really appreciate it!

Now however, I am seeing that these music players are pretty much only compatible with windows. And since I only have access to a windows computer part of the time, that is a major inconvenience. (Probably spelled that wrong, but oh well.) Are there any out there that have managers compatible with linux? Or are there any out there whose managers work almost flawlessly with wine/cedega?

aysiu
March 15th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Just because it says it works with only Windows doesn't mean it does.

You'll find very few pieces of hardware advertise that they work with Linux.

You may find this thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=116956) helpful, though.

cbudden
March 15th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Creative players play MP3 and WMA but unfortunatly not OGG or FLAC.

jason.b.c
March 16th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Thanks, but I am more interested in a hard drive based mp3 player. Thanks for the info, though!

Check this out!:)

www.pjrc.com/tech/mp3/

:) ;)

banjobacon
March 16th, 2006, 02:00 AM
If you were happy with your iPod, you might want to just get another. Rockbox is being ported to the iPod, so it should be able to play Ogg Vorbis and FLAC files eventually. I have no idea how soon, though.

mrtaber
March 16th, 2006, 05:56 AM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Cowon (known as iAudio in the US)--I'll be ordering the A2 PMP soon myself. Their X5 and M5 play ogg and flac, and even though their software is Windows-based, you don't need it; the players are just USB drives to the computer. Check 'em out.

Mark :)

Bandit
March 16th, 2006, 07:06 AM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Cowon (known as iAudio in the US)--I'll be ordering the A2 PMP soon myself. Their X5 and M5 play ogg and flac, and even though their software is Windows-based, you don't need it; the players are just USB drives to the computer. Check 'em out.

Mark :)

I belive SD_Plissken did. The newegg link was for a iAudio..

mrtaber
March 16th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Oops...that'll teach me for not following the links. Apologies, all :)

Mark

junior aspirin
March 16th, 2006, 08:05 PM
the T-series are ok on linux, if you dont mind voiding your warrenty, looky here: http://www.mtp-ums.net/

i now have a T-20 working under linux.

Hamman
March 16th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Take a look at iAudio, the X5 is a nice HDD-player that supports both FLAC and OGG Vorbis(and of course, MP3)

Steve1961
March 16th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Take a look at iAudio, the X5 is a nice HDD-player that supports both FLAC and OGG Vorbis(and of course, MP3)

I've had an X5 for about 4-5 months and would recommend it to anyone. Plug it into a usb port and just drag your oggs (or whatever) onto the player.

Pancetilla
March 16th, 2006, 08:41 PM
One more vote for the Iaudio X5 (I've got the X5L version, 20 Gb and 35 hour battery). It's simply amazing. And it works in Ubuntu without additional software. No propietary-software and it plays .ogg, who can ask for more?...oh, well, X5's not cheap :twisted: .