PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu RAM, CPU and Graphic qurstions

Ullyxes
April 9th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Hello everybody!
I'm new (it's installed around 2 days) in Ubuntu (9.10-32bit) and I already have some really important questions.
1---Before, i ran Windows XP Home Edition (SP 3) and in idle mode the RAM usage was around 180MB , CPU(s) usage 0-2%...........
now in Ubuntu in idle mode the RAM is used up around 220-340MB and the CPU(s) Usage is around 4-9% (Sys specs: Intel Celeron E1400 2x2.00Ghz, 2GB DDR2 RAM, ASUS Nvidia Geforce 9400GT Silent, 250GB HDD (Ubuntu has a 55GB partition)
NOW to come to the question: is such a usage usual at Ubuntu (because Free), or can i get i down a bit by killing some unnecessary processes (if yes, which??)??????

2---My Graphics driver has this PowerMizer, but actually i don't need this, how can I turn it off, that my Graphic Card !!always!! has the better Shader etc. Frequencies?????

Thanks in forward to your answers A totally Ubuntu NooB

P.S: Without these problems Ubuntu:guitar::guitar:!!!!

Paddy Landau
April 9th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu!

These are three different questions. In future, it may be helpful to post three different threads, one for each.

I can answer your first question about RAM. Linux uses unused RAM for buffering. Thus, the RAM reading is not comparable to Windows. Your minimum RAM needs are less than those on Windows, but Linux uses extra simply because it's available.

One caveat: If you don't have a suitable swap partition, then you will need more RAM. Windows uses the main disk for its swap space, whereas Linux uses a dedicated swap partition. Do you know whether you have a swap partition?

Sorry, I don't have answers for your other two questions about CPU and the PowerMizer.

Ullyxes
April 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM
@Paddy Landau: Thank you so much for this incredible fast answer to one question and yes i have a Swap Partition, it's 2.0GB big. It doesn't matter that you can't answer my other questions, but i think i have to add something: I use the 173.14.20 Driver version of Nvidia

WinterRain
April 9th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Do not be concerned about the RAM usage, as you have plenty available. Memory is there to be used.

You will see advanced settings for your Nvidia card by doing:

gksudo nvidia-settings

shaka_zulu
April 9th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I think that you are using quite old video driver. There are a few new versions. I can not give you answer on what you asked but i know that newer versions of video driver have many improvements. There have been a lot of questions about how to install new nVidia video driver.

Slim Odds
April 9th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I can answer your first question about RAM. Linux uses unused RAM for buffering. Thus, the RAM reading is not comparable to Windows. Your minimum RAM needs are less than those on Windows, but Linux uses extra simply because it's available.

One caveat: If you don't have a suitable swap partition, then you will need more RAM. Windows uses the main disk for its swap space, whereas Linux uses a dedicated swap partition. Do you know whether you have a swap partition?

Windows also uses file cache like linux. They do it a little differently, but it's very similar. They also report memory a bit differently. The memory reporting by both has created quite a bit of confusion.

Linux can also use a swap file. It's just not the default and is a little slower.

cascade9
April 10th, 2010, 09:11 AM
ASUS Nvidia Geforce 9400GT Silent!

@Paddy Landau: Thank you so much for this incredible fast answer to one question and yes i have a Swap Partition, it's 2.0GB big. It doesn't matter that you can't answer my other questions, but i think i have to add something: I use the 173.14.20 Driver version of Nvidia

Wrong driver. It should be using 180/185/190/195 drivers.

Slim Odds
April 10th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Wrong driver. It should be using 180/185/190/195 drivers.

I'm running a very similar card (GeForce 9600 GT) and Karmic has it using the 185. Though the 195 should work (according to the Nvidia web site). I believe that the 173 should work, it just won't have all latest features and fixes.

cascade9
April 10th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I'm running a very similar card (GeForce 9600 GT) and Karmic has it using the 185. Though the 195 should work (according to the Nvidia web site). I believe that the 173 should work, it just won't have all latest features and fixes.

The 9400GT might 'work' but its not offically supported-

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_173.14.20.html

Check the supported products page. The 9400GT was released after the whole 173.xx for FX and -180.xx for everything after date.Its best to avoid running cards released well after the driver if a newer version of the drivers is avaible.

Its a good idea to follow the drivers seires spilts that nividia has-

Vanta up to Geforce 256, Geforce 3- 71.xx
Geforce 2, Geforce 4- 96.xx
Geforce FX- 173.xx
Geforce 6- 200 (current)- 185.xx or higher.

Slim Odds
April 10th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Its a good idea to follow the drivers seires spilts that nividia has-

Vanta up to Geforce 256, Geforce 3- 71.xx
Geforce 2, Geforce 4- 96.xx
Geforce FX- 173.xx
Geforce 6- 200 (current)- 185.xx or higher.

Totally agree

Ullyxes
July 30th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I tag this as closed or sloved, because now I'm going to install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. At the moment I still have to use Win XP.