PDA

View Full Version : Anyone rocking Firefox Lorentz yet?

bluelamp999
April 9th, 2010, 03:58 PM
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/lorentz/

Just wondering how people are getting on with this...

Me, I'm gonna download the source and compile.

undecim
April 9th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Haven't used it yet, but read about it.

Sounds like it just became insanely stable.

Frogs Hair
April 9th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Firefox has never crashed yet , if crash becomes an issue I will try it . Thanks

-humanaut-
April 9th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I use swiftfox I'm pretty sure its build against this code base.

Pikestaff
April 9th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I may have to give this a whirl. libflashplayer.so and Robot Unicorn Attack do not always play nicely for me...

bluelamp999
April 9th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Me, I'm gonna download the source and compile.

Just compiled it and working normally fine so far. Now to just find a dodgy Flash site!

lovinglinux
April 9th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Just compiled it and working normally fine so far. Now to just find a dodgy Flash site!

Try this http://wwww.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1409593

Works like a charm. Thanks for sharing btw.

I'm testing the 3.6.4 64bit version from ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-firefox-lorentz/

Now I want to see Chrome and Opera lovers bashing Firefox :)

bluelamp999
April 10th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Try this http://wwww.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1409593

Works like a charm. Thanks for sharing btw.

Yep, worked perfectly for me too!

themarker0
April 10th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Crap. I need to learn how to use a .bin to use this :P

thegreenblob
April 10th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I'm currently running firefox 3.7 Alpha 3. Plugins not crashing the browser is an extremely nice feature. :P

lovinglinux
April 10th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Crap. I need to learn how to use a .bin to use this :P

No, just download and extract the tar.gz file, then run the /pathtonewfirefox/firefox

I'm currently running firefox 3.7 Alpha 3. Plugins not crashing the browser is an extremely nice feature. :P

Indeed. Kudos for Mozilla.

Lucky75
April 10th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Is there a good way to upgrade my current version of FF to this (from the repositories) without having a bunch of fun conflicts? Perhaps something that will upgrade properly in the future too?

Right now I'm using the 3.5.8+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.9.10.1 from synaptic.

Last time I tried installing by myself from the shell script I ended up getting multiple versions of firefox, each breaking the other at times.

Dobbie03
April 10th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I am using it, its fast and it started from a cold start almost instantly.

l-x-l
April 10th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I downloaded Lorentz but how do I install/run? Thanx in advance.

lovinglinux
April 10th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Is there a good way to upgrade my current version of FF to this (from the repositories) without having a bunch of fun conflicts? Perhaps something that will upgrade properly in the future too?

Right now I'm using the 3.5.8+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.9.10.1 from synaptic.

Last time I tried installing by myself from the shell script I ended up getting multiple versions of firefox, each breaking the other at times.

See the Installing Other Versions section of Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567).

I downloaded Lorentz but how do I install/run? Thanx in advance.

See Manual installation of fresh final releases from Mozilla (http://lovinglinux.megabyet.net/?page_id=220##1---Manual-installation-of-fresh-final-releases-from-Mozilla-3).

Georgia boy
April 10th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Will this be included with Lucid or is it too late for it to be included?

Tom

lovinglinux
April 10th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Will this be included with Lucid or is it too late for it to be included?

Tom

Since is not a major update, as soon as Mozilla officially release it, it will be shortly available as an update on Lucid. In the worst scenario, the new feature will come when Mozilla releases a security patch for FF 3.6.x.

Flywaver
April 11th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I got the latest build of lorentz today (4/11), in the latest-firefox-lorentz ftp directory of mozilla, I grabbed the file and then ran FF from the new installed directory.

If I go in "About Namoroka" it says: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.4pre) Gecko/20100410 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Namoroka/3.6.4pre

How do I know I am running lorentz and not my "normal" nightly build of 3.5.4pre?

lovinglinux
April 11th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I got the latest build of lorentz today (4/11), in the latest-firefox-lorentz ftp directory of mozilla, I grabbed the file and then ran FF from the new installed directory.

If I go in "About Namoroka" it says: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.4pre) Gecko/20100410 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Namoroka/3.6.4pre

How do I know I am running lorentz and not my "normal" nightly build of 3.5.4pre?

You should see "About Lorentz", not "About Namoroka". I guess you are still launching the old browser.

Flywaver
April 12th, 2010, 12:13 AM
You should see "About Lorentz", not "About Namoroka". I guess you are still launching the old browser.

It's weird because I launch ff from the terminal and I go in /Downloads/firefox :confused:

I should purge all and just reinstall the latest build of lorentz!

zekopeko
April 12th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Since is not a major update, as soon as Mozilla officially release it, it will be shortly available as an update on Lucid. In the worst scenario, the new feature will come when Mozilla releases a security patch for FF 3.6.x.

AFAIK they changed how updating FF in Ubuntu works. They won't freeze it as with the rest of the packages but update it once Mozilla releases a new version so you should always have an up to date Firefox.

lovinglinux
April 12th, 2010, 12:45 AM
AFAIK they changed how updating FF in Ubuntu works. They won't freeze it as with the rest of the packages but update it once Mozilla releases a new version so you should always have an up to date Firefox.

Yes, I know about the minor-major update policy change. Nevertheless, it seems they still won't update Firefox 3.5 to 3.6 on Karmic. Is not the case here, because Lorentz is also 3.6 and not 3.7 or 4.0.

lovinglinux
April 12th, 2010, 06:07 AM
I have create an extension for Firefox that allows to install and test Lorentz or any other Firefox version without even leaving Firefox.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1452444