PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub always installs on 'first' bios disk?

flyboysr71
April 9th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Interesting issue, didn't cause me any harm, but only by chance. I was installing Ubuntu 9.04 64bit server from the CD on a machine that I normally run ESXi on. I wanted to test disk speed on a direct install vs. the install in ESXi, so I installed a 4th hard disk, shutdown ESXi, and installed Ubuntu directly on the new disk (4th Bios disk - SCSI:3 or sdd). When I tried to boot from this disk, nothing happened. I rebooted from the ESXi install disk (SCSI:2 or sdc), all was fine. Playing around, I finally found that to boot the ubuntu install, i had to boot from SCSI:0 - Grub had installed there, even though I never indicated that disk for anything during the install. It would be much better if Grub ASKED where it should be install, rather than assuming.

Bachstelze
April 9th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Did you use the Desktop CD to install Ubuntu?

volkswagner
April 9th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Yeah it is the default. I think you have to choose expert mode when booting the server CD to choose the Grub install location. I believe there is a warning, but again not sure unless you choose expert install.

oldfred
April 9th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Just as you finalize the partitioning during the install is an advanced button. That lets you choose which drive to install grub.