PDA

View Full Version : Visual C++ similar to C++

e24ohm
April 9th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Folks:
Not trying to start a flame war, but I need some help with my next semester classes.

Is Visual C++ (Microsoft Visual C++) similar in structure to C++? If I learn C++, can the knowledge be transfered to Visual C++? I had "C" a while back, but forget a good bit, yet I think it will come back to me once I get inthe groove. This will be my first C++ class of any type.

MadCow108
April 9th, 2010, 03:07 PM
visual c++ is just an IDE (integrated development environment) for C++, its no new language.

Similar IDEs (although not quite as powerful) for linux are netbeans or eclipse

just note that visual c++ uses a different compiler than the majority of the unix world uses (=gcc)
But if you write standard conforming code this does not matter much

e24ohm
April 9th, 2010, 03:41 PM
visual c++ is just an IDE (integrated development environment) for C++, its no new language.

Similar IDEs (although not quite as powerful) for linux are netbeans or eclipse

just note that visual c++ uses a different compiler than the majority of the unix world uses (=gcc)
But if you write standard conforming code this does not matter muchOh, yes how could I forget about "GCC". I remember using that when I learned "C". Thanks again for the insight on Visual C++, and C++.

Deutschland - WorldCup 2010...Yeah!!! I lived in Wiesbaden for 5 years, and loved every minute of it.