PDA

View Full Version : fresher job for a linux die hard fellow?

abhilashm86
April 9th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hi friends!!
I'm almost completing my under graduate studies mainly in computer field, i really want to work in linux platform, linux oriented job.
What are options for me?

I know c, c++ and web technologies and slightly on linux system. When i googled for jobs, mainly experience matters, since i've 0 work experience, how to go about job?

Also suggest me good online job applying and searching, mainly working in india!!

I never want to see windows in my job:) will it be possible??
How many of you have privilege of this kind, like working on only linux or unix?

whiskeylover
April 9th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hi friends!!
I'm almost completing my under graduate studies mainly in computer field, i really want to work in linux platform, linux oriented job.
What are options for me?

Not a whole lot. Most IT jobs (except for the dirty ones like sysadmin, dba etc) will require you to know a lot more than just Linux, shell programming, perl and C++. And they (mainly .NET and JAVA) will even pay more than the linux ones.

Also suggest me good online job applying and searching, mainly working in india!!
naukri.com.
I think its like dice.com and monster.com of India. For some reason they keep sending me job requirements even though I'm in the US.

No.

LowSky
April 9th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Nope. windows has a strangle hold on Businesses. Somewhere there is always a Windows computer networked to a Linux server.

Check with your University's job placement program or Alumni mentoring programs if your school has them. Sometime you can land a great job because of your school's connections.

Otherwise you will have to start at the bottom and work your way up probably working for a company doing basic IT work like fixing peoples computers or writing code for in-house business applications. The more experience you get will get you working on the more expensive and critical projects.

Many college students think that with their degree they will be making a huge paycheck and get to work in their dream job. The reality is most don't see either until they get experience.

RiceMonster
April 9th, 2010, 03:12 PM
You'll be missing out on tons of good jobs is you refuse to use windows at all. That's also making your job search incredibly difficult.

cespinal
April 9th, 2010, 03:13 PM
We all go through that. Everyone wants 4, 5 years experiencie professionals. How in hell do we pass that barrier? :P.

There are websites which are exclusively for graduates. Try googling for graduate jobs.

abhilashm86
April 9th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Thats the way friends!! i don't really mind using windows getting a fat salary :) Let me see what happens at end.......

earthpigg
April 9th, 2010, 05:55 PM
you could beef up your experience by contributing to an open source project.

see anything here (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs) you think is within your ability to fix?

when open source companies need to hire coders, they often look at who has already been contributing to their project, and hire 'from within'.

think of it from their point of view: does our company want to hire someone based on a resume, or hire someone that we already know for certain is capable of doing this job?

themarker0
April 9th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hi, try making some useful programs (Medical i'd recomend) for linux servers, and show them to small clinics and become the main IT for them. That way you help, while staying pretty far away from windows.

rajeev1204
April 9th, 2010, 09:25 PM

Its possible if you work in my company.All our systems run ubuntu except multimedia team )we are looking for freshers always.

Learn a little bit of python and if you are ready to move to bangalore, get in touch with me.

The money will be nowhere near what an infosys pays but the experience you get is invaluable.And you get to work entirely on open source software .
rajeev

juancarlospaco
April 9th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Linux Sysadmin pays x3 than win sysadmin...