PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partition Scheme - Suggestion

gdatuk
April 9th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Hi,

I am a total noob for Linux / Ubuntu. I have been using windows all my life and I decided to get rid of Bill finally. I want to install Ubuntu by Manually partitioning my HD.

I have a 500GB HDD.

Please suggest me an optimal partition scheme. I repeat i am a total Noob. please let me know details for each partition like
1. Primary or Logical
2. type
3. mount point
4. size

I am having no other OS in the pc. just planning to have ubuntu. no dual boot needed.

engine
April 10th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I'll watch your thread with interest, as I have very nearly the same question <g> I found some information somewhere (you know what the web's like ...] on an ubuntu page, made notes, and never found the page again :-{

I'm thinking of using the following settings for a 200Gb disk: can anyone out there advise me whether they are reasonable? and advise gdatuk whether he/she can simply rescale for a larger disk? Thanks in advance!

partition Mb mount point
/dev/sda1 4694.24 /
/dev/sda10 204332.4 /home
/dev/sda6 7226.79 /usr
/dev/sda7 4879.62 /var
/dev/sda8 4802.39 /opt
/dev/sda9 6825.28 /tmp

beta.tester
April 10th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Hi,

I am a total noob for Linux / Ubuntu. I have been using windows all my life and I decided to get rid of Bill finally. I want to install Ubuntu by Manually partitioning my HD.

I have a 500GB HDD.

Please suggest me an optimal partition scheme. I repeat i am a total Noob. please let me know details for each partition like
1. Primary or Logical
2. type
3. mount point
4. size

I am having no other OS in the pc. just planning to have ubuntu. no dual boot needed.

Hi

Just my opinion :)

You also need a /swap partition, if I were you I would simply have:

root / upto 100G
home /home the remainder after /root and swap created :)
swap swap 5G

That is it simplistically and the only 3 partitions I have here on my Linux HDD :)

kind regards and keep on ubunuting john