PDA

View Full Version : Along came Chromium browser...

badaveil
April 9th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I was formerly happily using Firefox that came along with Ubuntu. Then I decided to install Google Chrome and found it to be faster than Firefox. Now I've installed Chromium (https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa) and I feel it is the faster than Google Chrome although Google Chrome is based on Chromium. My wife who also surfs the web gave a second opinion also agrees that Chromium is faster than Google Chrome, the fastest of the three.

What do you think?

-humanaut-
April 9th, 2010, 05:21 AM
I use Chromium and Swiftfox you should give Swiftfox a try it's basically firefox but build against the "current" code and optimized for your processor architect super fast

darolu
April 9th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Yes, Chromium and Chrome are faster than Firefox in my opinion too; I also think it is lighter resource-usage wise, it launches faster and javascript-execution is way faster in my opinion.

Chromium may be faster as it has the newest features, it is also not entirely stable and you will find with bugs every now and then, the one that made me switch to Google Chrome (for now) was one where when uploading images they lose their meta-type and I also got the highlighting bug (highlight text, copy and paste somewhere else) freezing the tab.

I recently found there is a Chromium fork called "Iron", which eliminates all the privacy issues Chromium and Chrome have (they basically 'spy' every movement you do).

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php

Elfy
April 9th, 2010, 06:50 AM
moved to cafe

V for Vincent
April 9th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I recently switched from chromium to chrome because I didn't want the daily updates any more. Those might be the reason you notice a difference in speed. I didn't, but maybe chromium has made some progress over the last few weeks.

handy
April 9th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I use Namoroka (the Arch name for Firefox 3.6.3).

I tried Chrome & really didn't like it.

So I'll happily stay put with FF, as it is fast enough for me, & there are some add-ons that I rely on.

The main reason I stick with FF is that I haven't found a browser that's layout & usage method suits me better than FF.

I agree that it is great that choices exist though, as we don't all have the same desires/requirements.

Psumi
April 9th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I'd be on chrome if it didn't take 108+% CPU when using flash.

-humanaut-
April 9th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I use Namoroka (the Arch name for Firefox 3.6.3).

I tried Chrome & really didn't like it.

So I'll happily stay put with FF, as it is fast enough for me, & there are some add-ons that I rely on.

The main reason I stick with FF is that I haven't found a browser that's layout & usage method suits me better than FF.

I agree that it is great that choices exist though, as we don't all have the same desires/requirements.

Have you tried Swiftfox? It's pretty much an optimized version of Firefox It's compatible with all of Firefoxs plugins as well

ElSlunko
April 9th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I'll have to give swiftfox a try. Besides the speed, I really enjoy how chromium handles extensions. I think people are too quick to dump on FF. FF was the browser that taught me to expect more out of a browser. Might be bloated compared to current browsers, but it definitely set the tone against the standard (IE).

medic2000
April 9th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I used the Chromium too but still Firefox still owns me. I have tried the Swiftfox too but didn't see much speed improvement.(maybe others experiences different)

gradinaruvasile
April 9th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Chrome is faster and way more stable than Firefox.
Also it has fewer features/extensions and uses more memory (count all chrome processes and you'll see).

Also it works really fast on older hardware - the speed difference is bigger than on more recent/powerful computers.

Quite interesting that on lower memory hardware (my case is Dell C640/P4m @ 1.8 GHz / 512 MB RAM with Ubuntu 8.10) it can have tons of tabs open (50 or so) and dont crash. In comparison, Firefox tends to become unstable with 10 tabs or so. Also, startup/stop speed is no contest (Chromium is way faster here).

wojox
April 9th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Chromium 5.0.372.0 (44042) Ubuntu

-humanaut-
April 9th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Another browser to consider that i was using for awhile is Midori it's probably the fastest browser I've ever used but theres some stability issues in the Karmic package there fixed in Lucid and Debian Squeeze

gradinaruvasile
April 9th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I like Midori but unfortunately it has basic functionality issues (some links dont work right etc - try downloading a nvidia driver from their site) and Java applets dont work in it (not that i use them anyway, but others are).

docus
April 9th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I use Midori as my main browser - it's fast, light and simple (but with hidden depths!) and I find can get things done faster with it. It's a very elegant and customisable program and it suits my workflow - for example, the native Midori speed dial works way better than any Firefox speed dial add-on I've tried. But, there are a few rare occasions when it won't render a page properly (although these instances are getting less with each new version) - so I use Firefox or Epiphany on those occasions.

lovinglinux
April 9th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Chrome/Chromium are definitely faster than Firefox, but not enough to compensate the lack of features.

I run Firefox with 53 extensions without performance problems. Pages take a couple of extra milliseconds to load, but I can live with that.

kpkeerthi
April 9th, 2010, 12:35 PM
No. Not until I find equally good replacements for a few addons that I rely on. Firefox is fast enough for me.

Ruzbeh
April 9th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Chrome is so good, I abandoned the Firefox extensions. Right now I don't use any extensions on Chrome. It's just so good. The interface makes a lot of sense.

Tristam Green
April 9th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Chrome is so good, I abandoned the Firefox extensions. Right now I don't use any extensions on Chrome. It's just so good. The interface makes a lot of sense.

You tolerate ads?

I use Chromium and Firefox for different things. Chromium seems to handle "web apps" (<- I hate this word) better than FF. However, for any kind of development or network usage, Firefox is unparalleled in my opinion.

On Windows, though, I was extremely surprised at how far Opera has come. The sheer speed of that browser is amazing...

sdowney717
April 9th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I use adthwart addkiller for chrome
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

Khakilang
April 9th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah I use Google Chorme 5.0.342.9 64 bit Beta version. Its good and just in case Firefox crash out.

lovinglinux
April 9th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah I use Google Chorme 5.0.342.9 64 bit Beta version. Its good and just in case Firefox crash out.

You may like Open With (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=Open+With) extension.

Psumi
April 9th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I use adthwart addkiller for chrome
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

I prefer the hosts file.

sdowney717
April 9th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Blocks ads using the Firefox AdBlock Plus filter engine. Kiss ads goodbye and browse in peace!

I use addblock plus and adthwart uses the same filter. When you use the internet with or without adds its quite noticeable.

One thing though, addthwart does not block video adds on the bbc whereas addblock plus does.

handy
April 9th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Have you tried Swiftfox? It's pretty much an optimized version of Firefox It's compatible with all of Firefoxs plugins as well

I used to use Swiftfox over a couple of years ago, I think I forgot about it when I went to Arch.

Thanks for reminding me again, I'll give it another go. :)

lovinglinux
April 10th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Firefox now has a feature to prevent flash or other plugins from crashing it. It is awesome. See the discussion here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1450678).

squilookle
April 10th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I've tried Chrome a few times and liked it, but I prefer Firefox to it and everything else I've ever tried. The main thing is the NoScript Extension, I much prefer browsing the web with that there. Also, the UI in Chrome doesn't generally feel right to me, despited the fact it does have some nice features, like the combined search and address bar. I do think Chrome is lighter on resources than Firefox.