PDA

View Full Version : Are you running Ubuntu 10 yet?

Kangaroo_Style
April 9th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Anyone run into any issues with it? Thinking about upgrading from 9.10.

adam22
April 9th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I've been running Kubuntu 10.04 for a while with no real issues. However, it's usually recommended not to put a test version on a productivity machine. If you've got the time and guts to test the unofficial, go ahead, I think you will like it, otherwise, wait a few weeks :)

rogerpittman
April 9th, 2010, 05:39 AM
I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 beta 1 (downloading beta 2 as I write this), and I love it. I had to skip 9.10 because of issues with my wireless USB modem, but 10.04 is running smoothly so far.

Luke has no name
April 9th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Running Lucid on my laptop and desktop. The sound on my desktop messes up when flash video comes up, but other than that, it's fine. The button location isn't so terrible when you get used to it... it's just annoying that Canonical made the decision without informing us to their reasoning.

Also, I feel Gwibber is useless, but that's just me.

Stable? Feels kinda like it.

kenweill
April 9th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Q: Are you running Ubuntu 10 yet?
A: Nope. Not yet. Im back to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. Will do a fresh install later, 1 month after the release. Usually, new releases have issues. It's better to wait than to run into trouble.

Artemis3
April 9th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I am, on 2 machines. No big issues so far, except the fsck "interface" (purple boot) needs more polishing (just ignore the seizures, it will let you push a key after a long while, when it finishes the background check i guess...).

cariboo
April 9th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I'm running Lucid on 2 desktop systems and my netbook. Personally it 's running great for me. Boot times range from 15 - 20 seconds.

There are many people that are having problems especially with plymouth, I'd suggest waiting until the final release.

seenthelite
April 9th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 beta 1 (downloading beta 2 as I write this), and I love it. I had to skip 9.10 because of issues with my wireless USB modem, but 10.04 is running smoothly so far.

Been using Ubuntu 10.04 since the alpha release works fine for me, btw if you keep installing updates you don't need to install beta 2 if you have beta 1.

lovinglinux
April 9th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Running here too without issues, except for this problem (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1450222).

Looks like Lucid will be a success.

Anyway, I recommend that you run the LiveCD first to see if everything works, then install it on a separate partition before installing on your production environment.

Странник
April 9th, 2010, 12:03 PM
No problems, except no splash screen(but boot speed is fast, so it doesn't bother me)

sandyd
April 9th, 2010, 12:45 PM
No problems, except no splash screen(but boot speed is fast, so it doesn't bother me)

there is a splash, but it goes past the splash so quickly that yoi dont see it. which is why im curious why the splash is only shown for a short period of time, not when the screen is still black...

lovinglinux
April 9th, 2010, 12:52 PM
there is a splash, but it goes past the splash so quickly that yoi dont see it. which is why im curious why the splash is only shown for a short period of time, not when the screen is still black...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1450588

idef1x
April 9th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Yep since the alpha release. I upgraded from Karmic and i'm now at the point that the updating processes messed up my boot splash on my laptop and the passwd command doesn't work anymore. On my desktop it worked allricht so I don't think it will be an issue with a fresh install, wich i wanted to do anyway.
Besides that it's working just fine :)

ssulaco
April 9th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Q: Are you running Ubuntu 10 yet?
A: Nope. Not yet. Im back to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. Will do a fresh install later, 1 month after the release. Usually, new releases have issues. It's better to wait than to run into trouble.
Not sure when I will move away from Hardy,But it will be awhile.

MooPi
April 9th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Yes I'm running the 64bit and one issue. Hotplug drives not being recognized. I have to manually mount. I guess I could edit /etc/fstab, but it's not that big an issue and the fix may be in the pipe

Duncan J Murray
April 9th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Using ubuntu 10.04. I have a problem where it freezes for 20s after the GDM login. All there is is the blank desktop wallpaper and no hard drive activity.

Anyone else got this problem?

Otherwise it seems to be ok!

Duncan

JPN94
April 9th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I upgraded to 10.04 and had some serious speed problems. Maybe it was just me though but I'd wait for the stable release to come out if I was you.

lovinglinux
April 9th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I upgraded to 10.04 and had some serious speed problems. Maybe it was just me though but I'd wait for the stable release to come out if I was you.

I forgot to mention that on my first install I lost Internet connection after a day. I guess it was because I re-installed all my previous packages using a dpkg --set-selections. So I did a new clean install and installed all packages manually, without installing the network manager. No problems yet. (I'm using KDE by the way).

Sporkman
April 9th, 2010, 02:00 PM
This was the only serious issue I ran into:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1450365

Gnome display manager got broken after a dist upgrade from Beta 1 to Beta 2.

samalex
April 9th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I'm running 10.04 Beta 1 in VirtualBox, and after I updated it about 5 days ago I've gotten far fewer crashes. I'll wait until 10.04 is officially released and System76 has driver support for my laptop before running it as my main OS.

Sam

malachi1990
April 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Been runnning Lucid since alpha 1, and no issues.

Joeb454
April 9th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I've been running 10.04 since the beginning of March, no real issues here, in fact, the biggest issue is the boot screen which looks like it's displaying at 640x480 on my 1920x1200 display ;) other than that, no issues for me.

That said, I'd wait unless you're prepared for possible breakage. Chances of that are slimmer now because of feature freeze, but still... :)

Joeb454
April 9th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I've been running 10.04 since the beginning of March, no real issues here, in fact, the biggest issue is the boot screen which looks like it's displaying at 640x480 on my 1920x1200 display ;) other than that, no issues for me.

That said, I'd wait unless you're prepared for possible breakage. Chances of that are slimmer now because of feature freeze, but still... :)

Sporkman
April 9th, 2010, 02:18 PM
You can say that again!

Khakilang
April 9th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Well I am waiting for the stable version to upgrade. I do not want to mess up my working machine. Reinstalling all over again is a pain.

ratcheer
April 9th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I have been running it since Alpha-1, but only in test mode. I am still using Karmic for my main system.

Tim

KegHead
April 9th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Hi!

I've used Ubuntu 10.04 beta one and two with no problems on a Dell Mini 9. 16gbn ssd, 2 gb ram.

KegHead

Fresh install w/1 and update w/2

swoll1980
April 9th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I'm running it. I wouldn't recommend an upgrade unless the risk of breakage doesn't bother you .