PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Open DNS?

Shibblet
April 9th, 2010, 02:08 AM
I've heard from a friend that was telling me that you can change your DNS settings to the OpenDNS settings, and it will keep people from being able to access "questionable" websites.

Does anyone use this? And how well does it work?

juancarlospaco
April 9th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I ❤ OpenDNS
✔ It Works

handy
April 9th, 2010, 02:21 AM
You heard right.

Just put the OpenDNS IP addresses into your router & away you go.

I used to use OpenDNS when I had a problem with Ubuntu loosing my DNS settings due to my ISP changing its DNS settings whenever it felt like it (which was quite often).

At least these days (though I use a different ISP) in Arch I can use the /etc/resolv.conf.head file to set my DNS address(es).

I expect that Ubuntu has found a way around this problem by now also.

Psumi
April 9th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Tried it, didn't like it, switched back.

themarker0
April 9th, 2010, 02:45 AM
I use Google DNS

dmizer
April 9th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I use OpenDNS and have for a very long while. It's fast and it works quite well, but it can interfere with local name resolution if you use them in your system settings instead of at your gateway/router.

Tried it, didn't like it, switched back.

Care to elaborate on why you didn't like it? Just curious.

Psumi
April 9th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Care to elaborate on why you didn't like it? Just curious.

Made me felt every time I logged in, that my ISP would terminate my service.

Paqman
April 9th, 2010, 03:52 AM
The content filtering aspect of OpenDNS works fairly well, but unfortunately their IP updater doesn't have a Linux version. That means that if your IP changes OpenDNS won't be able to filter your results correctly (although you're still using their DNS). The updater will run under Wine, but is a little flaky.

handy
April 9th, 2010, 05:00 AM
I had no problems with OpenDNS at all a couple of years ago. & I used it for at least 6 months...?

sandyd
April 9th, 2010, 05:06 AM
The content filtering aspect of OpenDNS works fairly well, but unfortunately their IP updater doesn't have a Linux version. That means that if your IP changes OpenDNS won't be able to filter your results correctly (although you're still using their DNS). The updater will run under Wine, but is a little flaky.

what do you mean? you can use ddclient for that

Paqman
April 9th, 2010, 05:39 AM
what do you mean? you can use ddclient for that

Yeah, looks like you can. Thanks for the tip!

Firestem4
April 9th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I've been using OpenDNS for almost 6 months. The service has been great. Very reliable, very responsive! Much faster than my ISP's (Time Warner) crappy DNS service.

Made me felt every time I logged in, that my ISP would terminate my service.

An ISP can't terminate your service contract for using another DNS provider. Unless there is a specific clause you agreed to when you entered into your service contract (which is unheard of).

jfreak_
April 9th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Using OpenDNS for about 6 months. its great. its the only way I can connect to the net using my mobile.