PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] installing Thunderbird

bob brazie
April 9th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I have download the new Thunderbird 3.0 and extracted it to a folder.

I don't know how to run the application now as it does not show in any application locations.

I am running Ubuntu 9.10.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bob.

emanuel.b
April 9th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Hi Bob, You just have to launch the "thunderbird" file, in the thunderbird folder (the one that you extracted from the download file). There is no installer, so you have to create links yourself, using the "main menu" editor in your system -> preferences menu. Hope that helps!

mkvnmtr
April 9th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Why not go to the Ubuntuzilla site. Follow the instructions to enable the repository and download and install the latest stable Thunderbird from Moxilla. Having the repository will enable you to recieve updates when they come. From the same repository you can get the latest stable Firefox also.

crichard
April 9th, 2010, 03:56 AM
I have download the new Thunderbird 3.0 and extracted it to a folder.

I don't know how to run the application now as it does not show in any application locations.

I am running Ubuntu 9.10.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bob.

Try this post Installing Firefox / Thunderbird in Ubuntu. (http://surferzworld.com/?p=193)

bob brazie
April 9th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I click that file and I then I have to select what to do with it. I chose run and it does open. That is a step I would like to avoid. I would like it to open with just one click.

Thanks. Bob.

emanuel.b
April 9th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I click that file and I then I have to select what to do with it. I chose run and it does open. That is a step I would like to avoid. I would like it to open with just one click.

Thanks. Bob.
If you create a link to it, in the main menu for example, then it won't ask you every time. By the way, that's the way I run Firefox / Thunderbird, so I can be in control of updates, and not Ubuntu...

bob brazie
April 9th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks to everyone!!

Bob.