PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install Ubuntu Linux from USB Hard Drive??

linuxinstalledfromhdd
April 9th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Hi there everyone! :)

I have a quick question, and after searching google and elsewhere for about an hour hoping to find someone else who has already researched my question before and posted this question somewhere else, I thought I better just ask it..

Does anyone know - is there a way to install Ubuntu -from- an external hard drive.
For example, let's say, you have a complete Ubuntu system with everything (no need to download additional packages/softwrae/etc anymore) , but you can't use remastersys to create an ISO with it because it is way over 10GB in size. Much larger than any DVD you could burn that newly created ISO to.. (besides remastersys is limited to the size of a DVD-r anyways... ) (anywho!)

Maybe someone has tried this before? Someone has created a dedicated large hard drive that is essentially the same thing as a ubuntu installation usb flash drive, to boot from an then install Ubuntu onto another "new" hard drive? I think it would be nice to have a hard drive (external usb or even better, an internal hdd drive i could hot swap to each new computer I have that I wish to install it onto.. ) And I think it would be so much faster to install from a Sata internal HDD drive than a USB pendrive or a cd/dvd rom, right? It should cut the time in half, if not much much more..

Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have.. I'm just bored with an extra old internal hard drive here, that I would like to use instead of buying a new flash drive for like 60 bucks at 32 gigs...

:guitar:

lorul2
July 31st, 2010, 11:18 PM
I would like to know too...BUMP!:popcorn:

lorul2
July 31st, 2010, 11:32 PM
oops found it here..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789528&highlight=hot+boot+flash+drive