PDA

View Full Version : Pcbsd

themarker0
April 8th, 2010, 10:07 PM
So my dad just got home from IT360, and brought me a PCBSD cd. Anyone ever try it? Is it worth an HDD install?

descendent87
April 8th, 2010, 10:44 PM
If you like KDE then give it a shot, it's pretty nice

themarker0
April 9th, 2010, 04:04 AM
If you like KDE then give it a shot, it's pretty nice

I am doing so, taking forever to install though...

swoll1980
April 9th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Use freeBSD CLI only. Learn to use UNIX from a command line. The GUI really serves no purpose on BSD. BSD is for servers. It's great to learn if you're planning on being an admin someday. If you want a Desktop stick with Linux.

themarker0
April 9th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Use freeBSD CLI only. Learn to use UNIX from a command line. The GUI really serves no purpose on BSD. BSD is for servers. It's great to learn if you're planning on being an admin someday. If you want a Desktop stick with Linux.

I already have BSD on a server, i was curios to see how the desktop worked, sadly the display didn't like my laptop. And mandriva didn't like it either...

swoll1980
April 9th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I already have BSD on a server, i was curios to see how the desktop worked, sadly the display didn't like my laptop. And mandriva didn't like it either...

Yeah they're about where Linux was 10 years ago.

neu5eeCh
April 9th, 2010, 07:13 PM
So my dad just got home from IT360, and brought me a PCBSD cd. Anyone ever try it? Is it worth an HDD install?

I couldn't get Wireless to work when I tried the LIVECD, though I suspect that had more to do with KDE than BSD. (Don't like KDE.)

I just downloaded and tried GNOBSD - best looking desktop (color scheme) of any NIX distribution I've tried - IMHO. No network manager. WEP & WPA can be started from the command line. Too much bother for me. I appreciate a good GUI.

Also, it looks as though Adobe doesn't provide FLASH for BSD. If it's important, Linux FLASH can be installed - look here (http://www.pcbsd.fr/content/view/39/30/). Codec support appears thin but seems doable with a Linux Compatibility Layer (and that begs the question...)

If you have lots of spare time and enjoy "just making it work", try it. To me, all this stuff turns into a video game. I can get lost in making this stuff work. It's like an addiction. I'm the type who's better off with Ubuntu or Windows - lest I turn into a hack-aholic. I haven't yet... but I keep burning up the hours with senseless distro-hopping.

Me? I'm staying away from BSD. It's too tempting - and I'm too much of an amateur.

Ask yourself this question: Do I want it to just work or do I just want to make it work.

If it's the former, stay away from BSD. Like the other poster wrote, it's really a server OS.