PDA

View Full Version : Netbook or tablet?

NCLI
April 8th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I really don't understand tablets. Sure, having an ultra-portable with a fairly big screen is nice, but I already have my netbook for this! It even has a touchscreen, and can be switched into tablet-mode, though I've used this feature very rarely.

So, I ask you: Tablet or Netbook. And for the infinite love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, please post some of the reasons behind our choice.

JDShu
April 8th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Netbook because I need a real keyboard.

Psumi
April 8th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Gaming Laptop.

mcduck
April 8th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Neither one, I already have a laptop to serve as portable, all-purpose machine, and a Android smartphone for ultra-portable needs. I don't need any device to sit between the two.

If I had to choose between the two, now that would be a hard question.. I can't think of any use I could have for a netbook, while a tablet might be a nice toy to have around. On the other hand at the moment there aren't any tablets with reasonable features, so I'd probably have to choose a netbook instead.

tica vun
April 8th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Netbook, because I need a real keyboard.

zoomy942
April 8th, 2010, 10:03 PM
well. depends. if you are running linux on it - netbook all the way. i had a tablet and let me tell you, getting the touchscreen to work with ubuntu is NOT for the faint of heart.

northwestuntu
April 8th, 2010, 10:11 PM
ive been thinking this myself. i want to purchase one of these when google os is released. nobody thinks the touch screen keyboard will be anygood? its looks good on the ipad.

LowSky
April 8th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I have a netbook that use to take notes with at school. Its ok buy low on battery power.

A tablet make little sense for me. As I don't see myself using it day to day over a real PC. But after demoing an iPad it does work well at some things, including note taking, but its still over priced for me. I'm hoping to see an Android or even an Ubuntu tablet and the price to drop to under $400 before I even consider replacing my netbook with a tablet.

koleoptero
April 8th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Netbook that can be turned into a tablet would be the best I think, and something I'd go for. But if I had to choose between the two I'd say netbook, because of the keyboard.

bruce2000
April 8th, 2010, 10:53 PM
A netbook all the way.. for the keyboard and to run Ubuntu.

Paqman
April 8th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I voted for netbook. The idea of tablets is great, but nobody's actually come up with a decent one yet.

Liam88
April 8th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Have the best of both worlds with a Gigabyte T1028!! Tablet and Netbook in one!

Dayofswords
April 9th, 2010, 12:02 AM
netbook wins in:

power
price
disk space
specs
keyboard-ness

tablet wins in:

fanciness

of course netbook wins

PC_load_letter
April 9th, 2010, 12:28 AM
well. depends. if you are running linux on it - netbook all the way. i had a tablet and let me tell you, getting the touchscreen to work with ubuntu is NOT for the faint of heart.

The touch screen on my wife's HP tc-4200 worked out of the box on Jaunty, and now Karmic. No issues that I remember.

cdavid13
April 9th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Apple makes everything to complex for anything other than apple apps netbooks are cheaper and can do more. But what happened to desktops faster cheaper and how many of yall use your computer more than when your not at home.

I know I don't and I'm a college student.

Dayofswords
April 9th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Apple makes everything to complex for anything other than apple apps netbooks are cheaper and can do more. But what happened to desktops faster cheaper and how many of yall use your computer more than when your not at home.

I know I don't and I'm a college student.

i use a desktop 80% of the time
i use our family's netbook just for surfing

desktops should be cheaper, cuz then i could get a new one :)

zoomy942
April 9th, 2010, 02:21 AM
The touch screen on my wife's HP tc-4200 worked out of the box on Jaunty, and now Karmic. No issues that I remember.

wow. on my hp 2710p - it was a HUGE pain to get it working. especially the swivel switch.

LMP900
April 9th, 2010, 02:32 AM
A tablet would be better for me, but not the current offerings. If Apple ever releases an iPad the same size/weight as a Kindle 2, then I'm in. But for now, my vote is smartphone.

dominiquec
April 9th, 2010, 02:50 AM
I find netbooks a bit too cramped, spacewise. I really would like a decent tablet (at a decent price): that would be great for reading and casual browsing.

NCLI
April 11th, 2010, 09:08 PM
ive been thinking this myself. i want to purchase one of these when google os is released. nobody thinks the touch screen keyboard will be anygood? its looks good on the ipad.
The problems is that touchscreen keyboards are useless for touch-typing. That's ok for a smartphone, but for a device you use for work and note-taking, not so much.

Have the best of both worlds with a Gigabyte T1028!! Tablet and Netbook in one!
I hear you netbook-brother!

I find netbooks a bit too cramped, spacewise. I really would like a decent tablet (at a decent price): that would be great for reading and casual browsing.

The screen of an iPad, JooJoo or other tablet is no bigger than the screen on your average netbook.

Sorry about bumping this thread, but I just wanted to reply to a few posts in my own thread ;)

andras artois
April 12th, 2010, 07:29 PM
A netbook tablet that has:
11-12 inch screen
that new dual core ARM processor thats coming out
32GB SSD for programs and OS
2GB at least of ram
SD memory card slot for expandable memory
usb ports
speakers
microphone
webcam
earphone/microphone socket
charging via a standard small usb socket
a netbook/tablet edition of android
thin
not too curvy

BrokenKingpin
April 12th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Netbook out of the two, but I have no need for one.

cespinal
April 12th, 2010, 07:46 PM
a blackberry