PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Add root to gdm

palz2015
April 8th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I would like to add the user root to the login screen under the other usernames instead of using the "other" option. Is this possible?

I have already set up a password for root, so this is secure :guitar:

falconindy
April 8th, 2010, 07:41 PM
GDM only lists users with a UID greater than 1000. Root is UID 0.

I question your definition of "secure" if you think logging into Gnome as root is good idea, or even necessary.

kellemes
April 9th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I have already set up a password for root, so this is secure :guitar:

If root has no password there is no password to hack, and no functional root-account to get full control of your system.
I'm afraid you just made your system less secure.

lisati
April 9th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Please read this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

_BugsBunny_
April 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Having a root password does not make the system inherently less secure, I'd argue the opposite - but that's a discussion I'm not willing to get into on these boards.

I do agree that logging into Gnome as root is foolish and almost always (I can't think of any exceptions to be honest) not necessary. However it's your system, and if you break it you get to keep all the pieces.

To login as root via gdm (I assume you've already authorized root login via gdm, since it's disabled by default), and have the root user appear on the login screen you need to edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf
In the [greeter] section add the following:

MinimalUID=0
This may well cause all system accounts to show up. I'm not sure since I've never tried it (as I said allowing root login to Gnome is something that I don't consider advisable). If that does happen there are also Include= and Exclude= parameters available in the [Greeter] section. See /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf for more (do not edit that file).

Both the minimalid setting and the include/exclude settings should also be available via the Security and Users tabs respectively in the Login Window configuration gui.

However, let me repeat - I think this is a really bad idea™. There should be no reason to need to do this. Anything you need to access or run as root should be doable via short term methods (gksu/su/sudo).

palz2015
April 9th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Ok, I have no gdm.conf !!
This was an issue before, but now it is even worse!
I have custom.conf, but that has no greeter section.
See what I mean:

_BugsBunny_
April 9th, 2010, 06:56 PM
OK, so it's custom.conf. I gave you the sample file to use. I also told you that it should be accessible via the Login Window setup screen. (gksu gdmsetup).

I do have a question for you though - why do you want to do this? It is a really bad idea.

palz2015
April 23rd, 2010, 11:41 PM
For easy access to root, of course :popcorn:

sisco311
April 23rd, 2010, 11:48 PM
We can't help you, it's against the forum's policy.

cariboo
April 24th, 2010, 12:48 AM
If you didn't read the link that lisati gave you, this is a link to the forum policy on root login:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=716201

With that, this thread is closed.

Iowan
April 24th, 2010, 12:51 AM
The RootSudo gives details about the root account, that's not the problem. It's the graphical login that is strongly discouraged.