PDA

View Full Version : things you may not know about nintendo

madjr
April 8th, 2010, 06:45 PM
:o

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web03/2010/4/6/22/what-you-dont-like-about-nintendo-3786-1270606454-49.jpg

source (http://www.onlinemba.com/blog/an-interesting-look-at-the-nintendo-co/)

undecim
April 8th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Interesting read. Thanks

mcduck
April 8th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Yep, interesting reads indeed. I had never even though that "Nintedo" might mean something. :)

Although I found it quite funny that they compare the best selling Nintendo consoles with other current gen consoles instead of best-selling other consoles.. (for example Playstation sold over 100 million units, and the best selling console ever is Playstation 2 with over 140 million sold units, almost twice as much as the Wii).

..and I've never heard anybody calling a game "Nintendo hard". "Old-school hard", yes. But perhaps I'm too old, having started gaming before the days of NES.. :)

Bachstelze
April 8th, 2010, 07:58 PM
many NES games were insanely hard to beat.

OMG Solstice! Really cool music, though.

Grez
April 8th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Yep, interesting reads indeed. I had never even though that "Nintedo" might mean something. :)

However, I have it on good authority that, in Japan, Coca-cola means "bite the wax tadpole."
But then, my advisor might have been telling me lies.

whiskeylover
April 8th, 2010, 08:13 PM
However, I have it on good authority that, in Japan, Coca-cola means "bite the wax tadpole."
But then, my advisor might have been telling me lies.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tadpole.asp

Grez
April 8th, 2010, 08:17 PM
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tadpole.asp

Not as much of an urban myth as I thought then... although it's China and not Japan. Wait till I see him.

Oh, and thanks!

whiskeylover
April 8th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Not as much of an urban myth as I thought then... although it's China and not Japan. Wait till I see him.

Oh, and thanks!

You're welcome.

blur xc
April 8th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I'll try to list the nintendo products we've bought for our kids in the years since our first kid was old enough to start gaming- he was probably around 3 - 3.5 yrs old, and he's 9 now, so bout 6 years-

Gamecube-
At least two game boy advances (sponge bob editions)
about 5 ds lites (had to replace broken ones, but nintendos customer service rocks)
Wii
and now we have 5 dsi's... (4 for the kids, and dad finally got one of his own- no more taking the kids')
countless games. At least 70 for the ds's, and we've got to have about 40 or more for the wii. No idea what we had for the game cube or the gba... To be fair, a lot of that was purchased by the grandparents for birthdays and holidays- and they also save allowance money (funded by grandpa) on games as well.

They make fun gaming systems with a lot of younger kid friendly games. The other game systems seem more for older kids.

BM

blueshiftoverwatch
April 8th, 2010, 11:57 PM
To be fair, were NES games really any harder than Master System or any of the other console's released during the era of 2D graphics? I've played my fair share of Genesis and Master System games and thought they were pretty hard too. I think all games back then were a much harder than the 3D games that were released as graphics improved later on.

dragos240
April 9th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I want some facts about SEGA now.

yester64
April 9th, 2010, 12:20 AM
To be fair, were NES games really any harder than Master System or any of the other console's released during the era of 2D graphics? I've played my fair share of Genesis and Master System games and thought they were pretty hard too. I think all games back then were a much harder than the 3D games that were released as graphics improved later on.

Depends.

I liked on the Amiga games like Mission Impossible which had no save and limited time. Or Cadaver.
I think that is hardcore.
Recently i started to getting achievements on my xbox and i can say that it makes you play on hard or spending a long time with a game.
Besides, Mario games can be challenging too, especially if you want to get all the stars etc..
But i think in the end, it is the game in the way it is designed. I don't think it is a console brand what makes games hard. But i believe that newer games are made easier with convienient saves.
Bioshock is easy in the normal mode which makes it very accessible to the everyday player. The only thing that changes are the enemies who might get a little bit harder.
Something like paperboy was hard in some way. Either you got or you did not.

tgalati4
April 9th, 2010, 03:47 AM
I love paperboy.

swoll1980
April 9th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Although I found it quite funny that they compare the best selling Nintendo consoles with other current gen consoles instead of best-selling other consoles.

Maybe because the Wii, the 360, and P3 are all part of the same generation. It was the Wii they were comparing. They said the Wii is the best selling Ninteno console of all time. Then they compared it to other Nintendo consoles, then to other 6th generation consoles.

Artemis3
April 9th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Ok, try completing Rockman, the original Megaman...
Come to think of it, Ninja Gaiden too.
Etc, too many i forgot... Games used to be hard to beat.

I think the game "I Wanna Be the Guy" was some sort of homage to those days :P

t0p
April 9th, 2010, 09:38 AM
First game I played was this Star Trek on the TRS-80. I don't know if it was official merchandise... I don't know if it was even unofficial merchandise. I used to go down Tandy's (Radio Shack's UK operation) and mess on the computers, and the Star Trek cassette was just there. Not a "pre"-recorded cassette so some kid might have written the thing and left it in the store. Was it hard? Not really; there was no real point to the game. You just went from sector to sector, blowing up Klingon Deathbirds on the way, til eventually a Klingon got you or you got bored and went home.

First proper games: Chucky Egg and Manic Miner. Now they were tough.

Heck, writing that makes me feel old.

EDIT: Can't see anything in the OP about the Game & Watch. That was a Nintendo thing, wasn't it? Must have been, I remember playing a Mario Game & Watch. Beats the DS any day! :p

ElSlunko
April 9th, 2010, 10:09 AM
What made them hard was the lack of save points, too. You were lucky to get a code. Even then, Mike Tyson was hard as ****.

blur xc
April 9th, 2010, 05:53 PM
What made them hard was the lack of save points, too. You were lucky to get a code. Even then, Mike Tyson was hard as ****.

I beat that freakin' game!- and metroids (but I had a cheat book), and what was that one where you fought bad guys in subways and stuff? that game was awesome...

I tried playing metroids on the game cube, but it game me motion sickness. I guess I'm too old for the new generation of 3d games...

BM

mcduck
April 9th, 2010, 06:06 PM
One word: Contra. :D

Of course all the shmups like R-Type and Gradius were pretty hard as well. Even though I'm a big fan of bullet-hell shooters even today I still struggle with these games. MAke a single mistake, and you loose all your powerups and have pretty much zero chance of surviving through the rest of the game. ( I still play both games every now and then, I just wonder how I cold have ever layed them through when I was a kid).

But, indeed, I really like the old-school style where actually playing through a game required lots off skill. On the other hand many of today's (good) games have a lot more story and other stuff so not being able to complete them would make you miss a lot more than on the old-school games. So I do understand why games are made easier, I just hope that more games would include harder difficulty levels. For example the "European Extreme" in Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 was awesome (on European Extreme the game ends immediately if you cause an alarm, so playing it through requires some serious sneaking skills. Not to mention that many bosses can kill you with a single hit..)