PDA

View Full Version : HTC Desire

Liam88
April 8th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I am currently using an iPhone and I am having problems synchronising it with Xubuntu. I have seen a new phone which has only just been released and was wondering if it is possible to sync it with any Linux operating systems. Does anybody own the new HTC desire and if so, have they run into any compatibility issues? Any help at all will be great as it will help me choose my next phone!

docus
April 8th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Hmm, so far no replies (apart from this one, which doesn't really count...) - a pity as I'm thinking of getting an HTC Desire too. I can get a good deal on T-Mobile. It looks to be more-or-less an HTC branded Nexus One, so I'd like to think it would have similar Linux compatability, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone offer any enlightenment? Anyone used it? Any opinions at all?

Liam88
April 8th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I have heard that the Desire is just a slightly updated Nexus One. The operating system uses a modified version of the Linux kernel so surely it must be compatible with Xubuntu!!

khrist
April 10th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I've got the desire and ham having issues connecting to ubuntu even as a mounted flash drive.

[EDIT] Scratch that as long as you have the disk utility you can go into that and mount it manually, and trust me the desire is the best phone on the market. (I work in the sector for Virgin Media)

Romanrp
April 10th, 2010, 07:22 PM
htc desire has google android which which is linux based .
Google released their own linux os now so long ago so I don't see why google wouldn't support syncing with linux. I haven't actually used android so I may be wrong.

EDIT
Liam88 beat me to it :).

NFblaze
April 10th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I dont know what you mean by syncing? What are you trying to sync?

Anyway, I have an HTC Hero and an HTC G1 and they both work fine in my Ubuntu OS for adding music and wallpapers...etc...

I use my Google Voice and Google Mail and such for integrated experience so everything syncs in that way.

bash
April 10th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I have heard that the Desire is just a slightly updated Nexus One. The operating system uses a modified version of the Linux kernel so surely it must be compatible with Xubuntu!!

Um ... what?! Just because it runs on a Linux kernel it doesn't have to be «compatible» with Linux. It mostly depends on how you define «compatible». Most phones allow you to connect/mount them (via USB for example) as a mass storage device. So you can access the devices storage and copy accross files like pictures, music or videos. If that is what you are looking for then it should be «compatible».

But if you are looking for things like syncing of your contacts and dates when connecting the Phone via USB or Bluetooth - than it is a whole different story. Most phones offer some sort of proprietary software for your PC to do these kinds of things [1]. And with any other software, if that programm doesn't support your plattform you are out of luck. Which can be quite ironic (or tragic depending on your view). The N900 not only runs the Linux kernel but a lot of the traditional Linux desktop stack as well, yet they only offer their PC suite for Windows and Mac. So if you want to sync these things on Linux you are most left out in the dry. And sadly on the open-source there doesn't seem to be coming a program that solves this offering these capabilities for a lot of devices any time soon. There are applications like Conduit [2], but I can't even find a list of which mobile phones are supported (Note: If anyone knows of program that does these tasks more or less, be it a GTK+ or Qt one, let me know).

But yeah the bottom line is, just because two devices run the same kernel family it doesn't make them compatible (or even close to it).

[1] Android with it's larger focus on Google Apps might be a bit of an exception as you should at least for the calender be able to sync Phone → Google Calendar and then Google Calendar → PC.
[2] http://live.gnome.org/Conduit

Spike-X
April 11th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Reckon I might have to get me one of these when they're released in Australia in a couple of weeks.

Yup.

chappajar
April 11th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Wait for the Evo ;)

3rdalbum
April 11th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Before splashing out on a new phone, try Ubuntu 10.04; from what I hear it does have syncing capabilities with the iPhone.

madjr
April 11th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Before splashing out on a new phone, try Ubuntu 10.04; from what I hear it does have syncing capabilities with the iPhone.

for now at least

i dont trust apple updates, they usually like to break stuff on purpose and not play nice with most of the industry

cocopuffz
April 11th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Well I have an HTC Magic. I can't speak for syncing though. I just ftp my mp3's to my phone and let tunewiki handle the artwork and playlists. I actually prefer it that way. I don't have to plug in my phone to file transfer. I don't have to worry about keeping giant library data/backups in propriety formats etc... I just drag and drop. No cables. FTP to and from any PC/Mac/Linux box... no hands tied. =)

I had an iPod Touch and after moving to Android I'll never go back. It's sooooo easy.

Crafty Kisses
April 11th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I personally like the HTC Hero.

docus
April 12th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Well, I just ordered myself an HTC Desire! It arrives tomorrow, so I'll report back about compatability (although I use Arch, so it might take a bit of tinkering!) and first impressions.

Liam88
April 12th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I dont know what you mean by syncing? What are you trying to sync?

Anyway, I have an HTC Hero and an HTC G1 and they both work fine in my Ubuntu OS for adding music and wallpapers...etc...

I use my Google Voice and Google Mail and such for integrated experience so everything syncs in that way.

I meant in the way you do with the iPhone for firmware updates but I read online that the firmware is updated over the air. With the hero is it just simply drag and drop?

Liam88
April 12th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Um ... what?! Just because it runs on a Linux kernel it doesn't have to be «compatible» with Linux. It mostly depends on how you define «compatible». Most phones allow you to connect/mount them (via USB for example) as a mass storage device. So you can access the devices storage and copy accross files like pictures, music or videos. If that is what you are looking for then it should be «compatible».

But if you are looking for things like syncing of your contacts and dates when connecting the Phone via USB or Bluetooth - than it is a whole different story. Most phones offer some sort of proprietary software for your PC to do these kinds of things [1]. And with any other software, if that programm doesn't support your plattform you are out of luck. Which can be quite ironic (or tragic depending on your view). The N900 not only runs the Linux kernel but a lot of the traditional Linux desktop stack as well, yet they only offer their PC suite for Windows and Mac. So if you want to sync these things on Linux you are most left out in the dry. And sadly on the open-source there doesn't seem to be coming a program that solves this offering these capabilities for a lot of devices any time soon. There are applications like Conduit [2], but I can't even find a list of which mobile phones are supported (Note: If anyone knows of program that does these tasks more or less, be it a GTK+ or Qt one, let me know).

But yeah the bottom line is, just because two devices run the same kernel family it doesn't make them compatible (or even close to it).

[1] Android with it's larger focus on Google Apps might be a bit of an exception as you should at least for the calender be able to sync Phone → Google Calendar and then Google Calendar → PC.
[2] http://live.gnome.org/Conduit

Thanks for the help! As long as I can mount it and transfer files I'm happy!

Swarms
April 12th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I am also purchasing the Desire phone. It will be in stock in Denmark around Thursday.

docus
April 15th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Yay, posting from my new HTC Desire! This is one helluva phone. No slowdown at all, everything runs so smoothly. Arch recognised it when I plugged it in and I was able to connect to the internet through it using network manager - so now I can get rid of my usb mobile broadband dongle. I'm only just scratching the surface of what this thing can do.

Can anyone recommend some good android apps?!

Paqman
April 15th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I was wondering if it is possible to sync it with any Linux operating systems.

Android phones don't need to be synced, so it doesn't matter what OS you use. All your contacts, email, calendar, etc live in your Google account, which is in the cloud. Apps are installed directly from the App Market on the phone. When you plug an Android phone into a PC it just shows up as removable storage. You just drag and drop content to it and the phone organises it for you.

So bottom line is that they work just as well on Linux as they do with any other OS.

Paqman
April 15th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Can anyone recommend some good android apps?!

Depends, what sort of apps do you want?

Nickedynick
April 15th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Just ordered myself a Desire too :) Having had a G1 for the last 17 months, I've found that Android generally plays nicely with Ubuntu - I use Rhythmbox to sync my music. Agree with others here though, no need to sync contacts/calendars, etc because it's all cloud based - you have to have a Google account for it to work properly.

Robin_216
April 18th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Hello,

I am thinking of buying a HTC desire, but i heard that it has limited storage avaible for installing apps. Is anybody who owns a desire able to confirm this?

andras artois
April 18th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Hello,

I am thinking of buying a HTC desire, but i heard that it has limited storage avaible for installing apps. Is anybody who owns a desire able to confirm this?

I think it has an internal memory of 512mb.

Spike-X
April 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I got mine! I got mine! I got mine!

amitabhishek
April 29th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Hello,

By default Android installs apps only in memory and not on SD card (like Nokia phones). Do some research on XDA; some ROMs allow apps to be installed on SD card(app2SD) and you can run them off the SDHC card. But with 512MB RAM and with avg. application size ~ 2MB you still have lot of memory. In a nutshell: Keep installing; don't worry:).

c0d3w4lk3r
June 12th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hello,

That's correct (see previous posts) but the desire will get the Android 2.2 update and with this update you will be able to install apps on the SD, and that's just one of the nice new features of Froyo :D

Just got my Desire. Will hook it up to 10.04 and see what happens...

Xianath
June 12th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I just got one this Friday. It pulled my contacts off Google, Facebook and the corporate server (via ActiveSync). Since Evolution and (reportedly) Akonadi support Google contacts, you shouldn't have to sync at all, so long as you store your data in the cloud.

If only I could get it to connect to my home wi-fi...

c0d3w4lk3r
June 14th, 2010, 03:23 PM
If only I could get it to connect to my home wi-fi...

Are you able to detect your own WiFi? Any restrictions set in your router? Are you able to connect to another WiFI network?

When I first started the device I thought I would be able to assign a fixed IP to the WiFi adapter but I couldn't and thus wasn't able to connect to my own WiFi (Didn't run DHCP). Turned on DHCP on the router and connected in no time.

eklem
June 30th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Android phones don't need to be synced, so it doesn't matter what OS you use. All your contacts, email, calendar, etc live in your Google account, which is in the cloud. Apps are installed directly from the App Market on the phone. When you plug an Android phone into a PC it just shows up as removable storage. You just drag and drop content to it and the phone organises it for you.

So bottom line is that they work just as well on Linux as they do with any other OS.

Are you sure? I have a HTC Legend with Adroid 2.1 and on my phone you connect contact info from Gmail/Flickr/SIM-card/Facebook etc. If I loose my phone, that info is gone, and I need to start over again. Syncing is a good way of doing backup.

renkinjutsu
June 30th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I remember reading from one of the forum users (I believe it was gnomeuser) about his experience with the HTC Hero. His experience was not well, because come firmware update, he had to jump through hoops to update his phone because it's not compatible with linux.

I believe it'll be the same for the HTC desire

pedro_orange
June 30th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Are you sure? I have a HTC Legend with Adroid 2.1 and on my phone you connect contact info from Gmail/Flickr/SIM-card/Facebook etc. If I loose my phone, that info is gone, and I need to start over again. Syncing is a good way of doing backup.

When I plug my HTC Desire in and mount it as a disk drive, it just appears as a normal disk. Presumably you can just tar it up and save it on your PC as a backup.

Also, my HTC Desire just works. Plug it in, and it mounts. Simples!

madnessjack
June 30th, 2010, 04:11 PM
You have to connect your accounts to Sense UI, and then get it to "link" the various contacts in each account. So I've got a mate called Joe Bob on Google Contacts with his email and website, but I've also got him on Facebook with his photos and phone numbers. With the press of a button, Sense will see that they have similar (or the same) names and offer to connect them up so the details appear under one entry.

eklem
July 6th, 2010, 08:23 AM
When I plug my HTC Desire in and mount it as a disk drive, it just appears as a normal disk. Presumably you can just tar it up and save it on your PC as a backup.

Also, my HTC Desire just works. Plug it in, and it mounts. Simples!

I know, but sync is for me a better backup. Then I don't have to think about backing up my phone over a wire all the time. Also, not sure if both the SD-card and internal storage-memory is mounted?

pjc69
July 28th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I've not had a chance to play with the HTC Desire yet, although I'm very interested in getting one and leaving Apple's "walled garden" behind... one thing I've noticed under Ubuntu is that I can browse my iPhone 3G's file system under Ubuntu, as the OS treats the phone as a mountable device. Something OS X won't do.

So, I have a question: drag and drop works for photos, music, etc., right?

Can you do the same with address book entries and calendar events? Say, export your contacts and events out of their respective bits of software and then drag the resulting file(s) into the HTC device as you would tunes or pics?

Spike-X
July 28th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I've not had a chance to play with the HTC Desire yet, although I'm very interested in getting one and leaving Apple's "walled garden" behind... one thing I've noticed under Ubuntu is that I can browse my iPhone 3G's file system under Ubuntu, as the OS treats the phone as a mountable device. Something OS X won't do.

So, I have a question: drag and drop works for photos, music, etc., right?

It certainly does. Plug the phone in using data transfer mode, and your computer treats the phone like any other removable storage device.

Can you do the same with address book entries and calendar events? Say, export your contacts and events out of their respective bits of software and then drag the resulting file(s) into the HTC device as you would tunes or pics?

I haven't tried that. I exported my Outlook contacts (from work) to a CSV file then imported that to my Gmail account, which is synched to my phone. I didn't even think to try transferring the CSV file straight to the phone.

jastonas
July 28th, 2010, 08:03 AM

Best way to go is import your contacts to gmail and from there on you just sync them over the air.

pjc69
August 9th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Best way to go is import your contacts to gmail and from there on you just sync them over the air.

I guess what I'm looking for is a non-cloud solution, avoiding gmail if at all possible. Whether it be by a cable or Bluetooh of something like that. Anyone have any tips?

(Bear in mind that I'm still in Apple's 'walled garden' at the moment and am looking to defect to Ubuntu and Android, so I can't experiment on my own, hence the questions...)

aysiu
August 9th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I guess what I'm looking for is a non-cloud solution, avoiding gmail if at all possible. Whether it be by a cable or Bluetooh of something like that. Anyone have any tips?

(Bear in mind that I'm still in Apple's 'walled garden' at the moment and am looking to defect to Ubuntu and Android, so I can't experiment on my own, hence the questions...)
If you're not planning to use Google's cloud services, I'd highly recommend against getting an Android phone.

It'd be like wanting to buy an electric screwdriver but insisting on never plugging it in. Yes, you can still screw things in by hand, but that doesn't take advantage of the best selling point of the electric screwdriver.

Android works best when you sync it to the cloud and use Google services. Otherwise you're using it with one arm tied behind your back.

theLegend
August 12th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I've got the new HTC Desire and I have to say without doubt its the best phone I've ever owned, top marks to Google Android and HTC. Like most of the posters here, you just usb your phone into Ubuntu, select to mount it has a drive on the phone and there you go, a hard drive of sorts. Just copy and drag your music to MP3 folder on the phone, or copy your pictures/videos simple.
I have a gmail account and have all my contacts there so have that synced up on my phone, along with google calendar..... I am a happy bunny! LOL

The phone itself sucks the Iphone's bottom by the way!

greazeball
August 18th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I just got my Desire (or should I say, satisfied my Desire) yesterday. Using it as a modem is possibly the easiest thing I've ever done on a computer. I plugged it in to the USB, selected "Internet Sharing" on the phone, and didn't even have to select anything in Network Manager! Now I can cancel my mobile internet and the HTC will actually save me money (and it's a great phone)!

Johnsie
August 18th, 2010, 10:39 AM
If you go to

menu->settings->about phone->system software updates->check now

And update to android 2.2 your desire can become a wi-fi access point. So you dont even need to use the cable to share your internet connection with the computer

Also, if you're interested in syncing... Exchange support is very good on the Desire. If you have your own exchange server or have acccess to one at work then it is very easy to sync wirelessy.

The desire is a really good phone, and yes, it knocks the socks off the iphone. HTC are an excellent phone manufacturer. I have used several brands of phone including Samsung, Sony, Nokia and Apple. HTC are by far the best.

sideaway
August 19th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Just ordered my Desire. I'm excited :)

Is there a way to set it up as a remote for Rhythmbox?

sideaway
August 19th, 2010, 11:28 PM
http://code.google.com/p/open-android-alliance/