PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth: How do you use it? (Design research)

mpt
April 8th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone

Since Ubuntu 9.04, one of the many things Canonical’s Design team has been working on is making panel elements more consistent.

As part of that work, I am researching how people use Bluetooth, and in particular, the Bluetooth menu in the Ubuntu panel.

If you use Bluetooth with your computer, it would be very helpful if you could reply to this thread with your answers to these questions:

What kinds of Bluetooth device do you use with Ubuntu? How often?
Do you use the Bluetooth menu in the panel? If so, what do you use it for, and how often?
Do you use Bluetooth devices with any OS other than Ubuntu? If so, do you find it more or less convenient than in Ubuntu, and why?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Psumi
April 8th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I don't use bluetooth. Nor do I plan to in the near future.

LowSky
April 8th, 2010, 03:28 PM
1. Bluetooth Mouse, a Headset (but it doesn't always connect the way I wish), and to transfer files from my phone.

2.Yes, to connect devices, whenever I need to connect my phone, which is maybe a few times a month. Headphones would be more often if they worked correctly.

3.Windows 7. For my headset Win7 works better. The headset is usable as headphones or as a telephony device. I want it to hook up as headphones but it constantly fails using the built in app. I have to use Blueman (I think that is the name) to connect properly but it is very finicky still.

Hope that helps.

whiskeylover
April 8th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Hi everyone

Since Ubuntu 9.04, one of the many things Canonical’s Design team has been working on is making panel elements more consistent.

As part of that work, I am researching how people use Bluetooth, and in particular, the Bluetooth menu in the Ubuntu panel.

If you use Bluetooth with your computer, it would be very helpful if you could reply to this thread with your answers to these questions:

What kinds of Bluetooth device do you use with Ubuntu? How often?
Do you use the Bluetooth menu in the panel? If so, what do you use it for, and how often?
Do you use Bluetooth devices with any OS other than Ubuntu? If so, do you find it more or less convenient than in Ubuntu, and why?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. I use BT to copy pictures off my WinMo phone to Ubuntu. How often? Whenever there is a picture I need downloading from the phone.
2. Hardly
3. I use BT with W7 all the time at work. I sync my WinMo phone using Windows Mobile Device Center.
Sometimes, I even use BT to tether internet to my laptop via the cell phone.
The bluetooth applet in W7 is like 1000 times better than in Ubuntu's. It even lets me use the laptop as a speaker and mic for my cellphone calls. I can play all the sounds on the phone (including the ringtone) directly on the laptop if I want to.

coutts99
April 8th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I use bluetooth to connect my phone to my hands free stereo in the car.

I have no other use for it at all