PDA

View Full Version : Any good articles on privacy and the Internet?

blueshiftoverwatch
April 8th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Anyone know of any good articles that tell about how the Internet and it's many protocols were designed?

Only, from perspective of looking back on the history from today's standpoint and how it wasn't designed with privacy in mind but rather, speed, efficiency, and redundancy? Because the original designers never thought it'd ever become widely used enough to have to worry about it since there were so few computers at that point.

Somewhat unrelated, but I remember hearing RMS talk about how when he first started working for MIT they didn't even have passwords on the computers. That's certainly a very different scenario than exists today.

How much different do you think the modern Internet would be if they had foreseen it's massive growth and decided to build it with more of security standpoint in mind?

blueshiftoverwatch
April 8th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Bump.

Faolan84
April 9th, 2010, 01:43 AM
There are plenty of articles about online privacy, it depends on the direction you want to take your research because this is a very broad subject.

dominiquec
April 9th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Try Facebook :wink:

blueshiftoverwatch
April 10th, 2010, 12:40 PM
There are plenty of articles about online privacy, it depends on the direction you want to take your research because this is a very broad subject.
I'm just curious as to, if the original inventors of the Internet had known how big it was going to become and had designed it with privacy in mind from the get-go. What would they have done differently? Because it seems like a good portion of the people who were active in the development of the software components/systems we take for granted for today are also very active in the privacy and anonymity movements, like EFF.

The Internet was eventually made more secure. HTTP was superseded by HTTPS, Telnet by SSH, etc. But what I wonder what changes would have been made all the way at the beginning to accommodate privacy if they had foreseen it's massive growth. It's much easier to build something a certain way from the beginning than it is to try to get it to go on that direction after it's already built.

donkyhotay
April 10th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I'm just curious as to, if the original inventors of the Internet had known how big it was going to become and had designed it with privacy in mind from the get-go. What would they have done differently? Because it seems like a good portion of the people who were active in the development of the software components/systems we take for granted for today are also very active in the privacy and anonymity movements, like EFF.

The Internet was eventually made more secure. HTTP was superseded by HTTPS, Telnet by SSH, etc. But what I wonder what changes would have been made all the way at the beginning to accommodate privacy if they had foreseen it's massive growth. It's much easier to build something a certain way from the beginning than it is to try to get it to go on that direction after it's already built.

Depends who's doing the designing, not every company likes having lots of privacy since they make money off your data. Those at least would probably design things so they have less privacy then now.

bwhite82
April 10th, 2010, 03:33 PM
The Electronic Frontier Foundation has some excellent articles for your perusal:

http://www.eff.org