PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Vostro v13/Latitude 13 Reviews?

gomab2k4
April 7th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Hi. I have looked and looked, only to find reviews of the Vostro v13/Latitude 13 in Windows 7 flavor. Can someone point the way to some Ubuntu powered reviews (video or written...or both)? I am curious to see how the Dell OEM Ubuntu differs from the original. I use Ubuntu in my spare time, but it is time for a new laptop, and I am ready to make the jump to Ubuntu full time!

noibs
April 9th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Bump. I've also been looking for reviews and/or impressions.

lobotomy42
May 7th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Well, I just bought one. I'll let you know if I regret it.

This is going to be my first Linux-only laptop. Fingers-crossed...

lobotomy42
May 21st, 2010, 12:48 AM
It's good. The only major nuisance I've had has been the touchpad issue here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3525/t/19324786.aspx

This was very annoying at first because I would keep brushing my hand against the touchpad, which would register as a "click" and interrupt me when typing. However, even that I've been able to get used to - I wrote a script to enable/disable the touchpad; most of the time I used an external mouse anyway.

The hardware itself is fine - very thin, very light, which I like. Despite being a low-end Celeron, the machine feels very fast, and I have bunches of programs open at once. Only when running Windows under virtualization does it become slow. ;)

Speakers are a bit quiet, and not centered.

I'm considering upgrading to 9.10, but there've been some bug reports on these forums with that version, so I'm holding off.