PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu at DistroWatch Weekly: Ubuntu Everywhere

Buffalo Soldier
February 8th, 2005, 02:10 AM
Ubuntu is featured in the 86th edition of DistroWatch Weekly.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20050207

costoa
February 8th, 2005, 03:34 AM
It's very, very nice to see all those computers with that boot up screen. Since most schools [in the US] pay about $400USD per seat to M$ for Windows and Office that money could be spent on better things. Leave a little for tech support at Canonical though. =)

More schools need to follow Adelaide's example.

costoa

http://distrowatch.com/images/other/ubuntueverywhere.png

poofyhairguy
February 8th, 2005, 03:54 AM
Ubuntu is featured in the 86th edition of DistroWatch Weekly.

" Many readers noticed that, last week, Ubuntu succeeded in overtaking Mandrakelinux in the short-term page hit ranking on DistroWatch. While there will always be sceptics who quickly dismiss this advancement as just a temporary increase in interest in what is a relatively new (i.e. not yet well-established) distribution, the truth is that Ubuntu's rise in popularity is not a coincidence. Besides the high school in Adelaide, there was also news about Free Software Macedonia distributing hundreds of free Ubuntu Linux CDs throughout the country, and another article explaining (in Spanish) why future releases of Guadalinex will be based on Ubuntu Linux, rather than Debian. Similar stories seem to appear daily.

Thus, the dominance of Mandrakelinux, at least in terms of page visits on this site, is likely to come to an end. This is not surprising. Those of you who remember the good old days of "Mandrake Linux" when the distribution was truly free in every sense of the word, and when "Deno" was still around to drive the Mandrake sentiment (not to mention develop the company's web sites), it used to be a lot more fun. Back in those days, even a negative review was linked to on one of Mandrake's web sites and discussed in length, and Mandrake developers were actively helping users on the mailing lists. Those days are gone. Mandrakelinux has become a true commercial distribution with ever increasing effort to turn their development work into hard cash.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with this concept; after all, the decision makers at Mandrakesoft are responsible to their shareholders and investors. But by shifting the focus on the economics side of the business, they, together with fans and users of the distribution, will have to accept the inevitable slide in Mandrakelinux's popularity and loss of market share."

Was this a way to begin a flamewar with the Mandrakians? I hope not, I don't think any Gnome distro can be compared to a Kde one straight up. They are quite different.

What few people have mentioned is how Ubuntu has had a recent rise MONTHS after the last stable release. The buzz about Hoary means there are a lot of people who will probably jump when its released (if only for a debian plus xorg) and Ubuntu's numbers are only sure to grow.

Jspired
February 8th, 2005, 04:02 AM
I, too, noticed the multiple references to Mandrake. I agreed with almost all of what was said of Mandrake's current state of being though.

I thought it was a great article.

BWF89
February 8th, 2005, 04:30 AM
That is the most beautiful picture I have ever seen.

ericsp
February 8th, 2005, 08:44 PM
That is the most beautiful picture I have ever seen.

I wish all computers in our department would look like that.....

Quest-Master
February 9th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Saw that at Ubuntu Planet earlier.. really amazing. o_o

Marquis_de_Carabas
February 9th, 2005, 10:53 PM
I remember the fanfare when we first got hold of Windows 3.1 at my school...damn I feel old...

ThePainter
February 10th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Hi,
Our council is still wasting our hardearned cash on WindBlows for their offices and schools but their is hope on the horizon, I have read of many large corperations changing to Linux like the Scottish police, NASA, and I was told by one of the workers at Telewest Blueyonder that they use Linux, and many schools desiding to go Linux.

Ive been wondering, if Microsoft brought out a Linux distro which was free called maybe's BILLinux ? Would anyone already on Linux try it out ?
It wouldnt happen because big Bill is too busy counting his hard :---) earned cash :grin:

I have used Mandrake and Ubuntu and Mandrake seems tacky and keeps locking up and then it wont load and I had to reinstall it a few times but Ubuntu feels better to use and just seems to keep ticking over without probs ?
I like the Human theme and icons the colours and shapes are easy on the eyes which is necessary during an 8 hour shift.
XP is bright and dazzly and Mandrake is drab and cold looking unless you install some themes but thats not necessary in Ubuntu.

I dont know why Im here saying all this cos you lot already know all this so Ill shut u and go away . :-P