PDA

View Full Version : I did it

KiwiNZ
April 7th, 2010, 09:53 PM
After all these years,and all the tears I have finally done it. I spent all of yesterday out of the wheelchair.

It was dammed hard, I am very sore and very tired today but I did it. Next target is to do it without any aids at all. That will take some time.

I did it.

I just wanted to let you guys know, sorry for the interruption.

koenn
April 7th, 2010, 09:55 PM
don't be sorry.
congratz & keep it up.

RiceMonster
Congratulations! I hope you continue to improve in the near future. Best of luck with your next goal.

By the way, no need to apologize.

Crunchy the Headcrab
That's freaking awesome! Way to go man! =D>

matthew
Rock on!! That is fabulous news! Congratulations.
:guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:

bapoumba
April 7th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Nice Kiwi :)

Phrea
Can you explain why you were in a wheelchair to begin with?
Maybe some people know your story, but I don't, please explain [if you want/care to]. :)

And, whatever the story is.. ..Congratulations !! :)

koshatnik
If its not a sensitive or inappropriate question, how did you come to be in one?

Congrats on that acheivement - I watched a friend spend 5 years in one after a rather bad car crash and is now walking unaided. Unbelievable will power and strength of being.

Hope you continue on your path without too many more tears.

jaco223
Congrats KiwiNZ, God willing you will make the next target with more ease.

Jaco

DeadSuperHero
April 7th, 2010, 09:57 PM
That's fantastic news, Kiwi! :D

Wishing you the best.

Elfy
April 7th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Excellent news :)

whiskeylover
April 7th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Congratulations.

I will have a shot of whiskey in your honor.

cgb
April 7th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Thats pretty sweet! Congrats...

koshatnik
April 7th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Congratulations.

I will have a shot of whiskey in your honor.

Me too - Balvenie 15 year single barrel.

Down the hatch!

FuturePilot
April 7th, 2010, 10:00 PM
That's awesome! Congratulations! =D>=D>=D>

-grubby
April 7th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Wow. You're a good man Kiwi, and you never deserved to be in a wheelchair (not that I'm implying that anyone would.) Congratulations and best of wishes.

sdowney717
April 7th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I know how tough it is to get going again on your legs. I got burned on both legs and spent 2 weeks in the hospital and it took all my strength away.
I would post pictures, but probably get banned.

weichimaster
April 7th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Awesome! Congratulations, Kiwi.

fatality_uk
April 7th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Fantastic news.
All the best mate.

nowin4me
April 7th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Will power! I am sure you can do it!

Can you tell us why you are/were in a wheelchair please?

Walking around after being in a wheelchair for so long must be one of the hardest things you do. But you can do it!

lisati
April 7th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Well done! Another milestone in your recovery.

Viva
April 7th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Well done kiwinz

ctrlmd
April 7th, 2010, 10:16 PM
congratulations =D> and keep it up :)

robertcoulson
April 7th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Cool...Guess your happy...???
Robert

medic2000
April 7th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Owning! Well done man! Go on!

oldos2er
April 7th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Congratulations!

TheNerdAL
April 7th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Awesome dude! Never give up and believe in yourself!

oldsoundguy
April 7th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Getting out of that chair is a BIG move. I have cared for and am caring for a couple of wheelchair patients (first my dad for 7 1/2 years) and now I watch over my brother (he is independent, at least, and still can do his own transfers). (both were strokes)

But I realize just what you are faced with when in that chair.

Idiots that will talk ABOUT YOU to the person pushing the chair vs talking to YOU as if being in a chair makes you a lesser person incapable of thought .. MY BIGGEST GRIPE!!

And, of course, lack of access to way too many places.

Rehab is a bitc*, but you will be the better for it. Had to rehab myself a couple of times in the last 3 years due to major surgical (life saving) procedures.

And being in NZ has it's benefits as far as health care is concerned (Nephew and Kiwi wife and daughter live in Raglan and they run a sports shop in Auckland .. they just moved there from Christchurch. (same chain of shops)

(your country is GORGEOUS)

skillllllz
April 7th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Congrats!! Keep at it; you can and WILL do it!

Go you! :-)

loell
April 7th, 2010, 10:28 PM
congrats! kiwi.. :)

Giant Speck
April 7th, 2010, 10:30 PM
This is incredibly good news. :D

CharlesA
April 7th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Woot! Great job.

mbz99
April 7th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Great news
Well done kiwi http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

wipeout140
April 7th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Congratulations.and good luck with your next goal

schauerlich
April 7th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Congrats and best of luck!

cariboo
April 7th, 2010, 10:43 PM
That's great to hear, KiwiNZ.

dragos240
April 7th, 2010, 11:10 PM
By the way, why are you in a wheelchair (I don't want this to come across as offensive). But I'm just curious. Did you injure yourself?

J V
April 7th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Make that 25 of the 40 posts asking what happened? And gratz! :)

nubimax
April 7th, 2010, 11:18 PM
way to go Kiwi.
M.

lisati
April 7th, 2010, 11:19 PM
By the way, why are you in a wheelchair (I don't want this to come across as offensive). But I'm just curious. Did you injure yourself?

It might be best to wait for KiwiNZ to come back online and share whatever he's comfortable with.

dragos240
April 7th, 2010, 11:45 PM
It might be best to wait for KiwiNZ to come back online and share whatever he's comfortable with.

I agree.

K.Mandla
April 8th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Fantastic. Cheers, Kiwi. \\:D/=D>

overdrank
April 8th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Congrats KiwiNZ. Good luck :)

tkblackbelt
April 8th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Awsome man keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

JDShu
April 8th, 2010, 12:37 AM
:guitar:

wojox
April 8th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Great news kiwi, congratulations. :)

sports fan Matt
April 8th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Excellent News!!! CONGRATS!

handy
April 8th, 2010, 01:03 AM
That's the best news I've heard for a long time Mike. =D>

Tristam Green
April 8th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Great job Kiwi. Keep up the hard work and best of luck :)

simpleblue
April 8th, 2010, 01:24 AM
This is GREAT NEWS!!! :popcorn:

You'll be getting stronger and stronger as time goes on! Congrates!! Sounds like it was a challenge to do! Keep us informed on any other progresses!

NightwishFan
April 8th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Excellent, wow! You can do it I am quite sure you have a strong will.

sisco311
April 8th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Great news, now you have less time to stay in front of your computer & ban people! /joke

Congratulations, KiwiNZ! Good luck and keep up the good work here too!

chucky chuckaluck
April 8th, 2010, 01:43 AM
That's great, Mike! I'm happy for you.

Changturkey
April 8th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Congrats.

Lightstar
April 8th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Yayyyyyyyyyyy!
congrats!

I will give you a piece of my disney princess chocolate I got for easter :)

Joeb454
April 8th, 2010, 01:51 AM
That's awesome Kiwi :D Congrats!!

VastOne
April 8th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Great news! All the best and strength needed to recover....

undecim
April 8th, 2010, 02:07 AM
That wonderful!

I'm happy for you.

RichardLinx
April 8th, 2010, 02:07 AM
That's pretty amazing. Gongratulations KiwiNZ!

phrostbyte
April 8th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Didn't know you were in a wheelchair to begin with, but grats on being able to move without it. :P

chillicampari
April 8th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Kiwi, that is great!!! Congratulations!!!

sailthesea
April 8th, 2010, 02:39 AM
That news has made what has already been a great day for me even better!:)
So good to hear.

2hot6ft2
April 8th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Excellent! Don't try and do too much too fast but glad to hear you're making progress.
Just remember...baby steps.
=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>

the yawner
April 8th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Didn't know you were in a wheelchair to begin with, but grats on being able to move without it. :P
Ditto. Great news nonetheless. :)

papangul
April 8th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Congratulations!:)

That seems to be only part of the news though. My good guess about the other part is that somebody in the enemy camp ;) just lost his leg!

swoll1980
April 8th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Good to hear. Good luck with your progress.

Kdar
April 8th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Congratulations! Kiwi

TheNosh
April 8th, 2010, 04:15 AM
congratulations, and i wish you luck in further recovery.

chris200x9
April 8th, 2010, 04:23 AM
congratz! :)

KiwiNZ
April 14th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Thank you for all the kind words. Sorry it took so long for me to come back on this. I have been somewhat preoccupied.

Things are still progressing well, I use the chair for long distances,that is anything over 50 meters.But I am slowly pushing that distance out even though my medical team are telling me not to.But I know what I have to do.

For those who asked why I was in a chair, its a long story.I was a Civil Defense rescue volunteer in Asia after the Boxing Day Tsunami. Some how I managed to catch something that attacked my Spine, Central Nervous system and various other parts of me. As a result I lost the use of my legs,partial loss of use of my arms
My spine has fused in many places and my heart has been attacked resulting in several bouts of pericarditis and Fribulation.

I was told at the beginning of last year that I would not walk again and would require an Electric Wheel chair for life.

So that is what happened.

I still have as my goal this http://www.cyclechallenge.com/

NightwishFan
April 14th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Good luck, may the winds of fortune blow your way. If I could I would lend you my strength.

exkend
April 14th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Well done. Your story is very inspiring. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing it.

Ex

toupeiro
April 14th, 2010, 04:48 AM
After all these years,and all the tears I have finally done it. I spent all of yesterday out of the wheelchair.

It was dammed hard, I am very sore and very tired today but I did it. Next target is to do it without any aids at all. That will take some time.

I did it.

Hey Congrats, man! :) Keep up the good work!

sudoer541
April 14th, 2010, 04:51 AM

I did it.

Well done, we are proud of you and we love you!!!!:)

Dont give up!!!

Irihapeti
April 14th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Kiwi:

That is inspiring. Thanks for sharing with us.

Never mind what the medical team tell you. Do what feels right to you. I always argue with them. As I like to say, I am responsible for this body - it's not on loan from the hospital. :)

MaxIBoy
April 14th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Take care of yourself-- but that includes more than just your body. Sounds like you're doing a great job finding a balance.

You're an inspiration to us all. Keep it up!

Chronon
April 14th, 2010, 08:16 AM
As I like to say, I am responsible for this body - it's not on loan from the hospital. :)
Well said!

LookTJ
April 14th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Mike(or KiwiNZ if you so prefer) I am keeping you in my prayers and thoughts as well. I had to learn stuff doctors told my parents impossible. Born 7 weeks early and a case of CP which affected my quads. It's a much longer story, but I'll keep it short for now.

Tristam Green
April 14th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Thank you for all the kind words. Sorry it took so long for me to come back on this. I have been somewhat preoccupied.

Things are still progressing well, I use the chair for long distances,that is anything over 50 meters.But I am slowly pushing that distance out even though my medical team are telling me not to.But I know what I have to do.

For those who asked why I was in a chair, its a long story.I was a Civil Defense rescue volunteer in Asia after the Boxing Day Tsunami. Some how I managed to catch something that attacked my Spine, Central Nervous system and various other parts of me. As a result I lost the use of my legs,partial loss of use of my arms
My spine has fused in many places and my heart has been attacked resulting in several bouts of pericarditis and Fribulation.

I was told at the beginning of last year that I would not walk again and would require an Electric Wheel chair for life.

Good lord, that's horrible.

I developed pericarditis after a nasty couple of bouts with bronchitis in early 2005, and that alone knocked me out of commission for a long time. Felt like dying. I cannot imagine having it along with the other issues you're going through.

Nothing but the utmost respect, well-wishes, and brotherly love for you, KiwiNZ. Many wishes on a continued recovery.

-Tristam

Swagman
April 14th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Good lord, that's horrible.

I developed pericarditis after a nasty couple of bouts with bronchitis in early 2005, and that alone knocked me out of commission for a long time. Felt like dying. I cannot imagine having it along with the other issues you're going through.

Nothing but the utmost respect, well-wishes, and brotherly love for you, KiwiNZ. Many wishes on a continued recovery.

-Tristam

Indeed.
the same from the Hovell household to you.

koleoptero
April 14th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Great news kiwinz, may you get over this and start walking normally again. Prove those doctors wrong. :)

XubuRoxMySox
April 14th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I know two athletes who were struck down by something that suddenly put them a wheelchair. One is a high school football player (who is still on the team, by the way, and works out with them except for below the waist) and the other a dancer. Both still aspire to return to the sports they love, yet both are fully aware of what it may take to get them there, and that it might not happen at all. But they won't give up, despite well-meaning people trying to get them to stop striving. I think it's awesome. It humbles me very deeply to see Tim and Amy work so hard for what so many people are calling "unrealistic." But in fact, even if they never get back on the football field or dance floor, they are both making me a better athlete/artist, and a better person as well, just by their examples of tenacity, independence, and cheerfulness.

You go, man!

Humbled and inspired,
Robin

nothingspecial
April 14th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Congratulations, and keep going. That was the worst luck. When you were trying to help.

That`s a huge victory.

I would like to hear how you progress.

ZarathustraDK
April 14th, 2010, 01:24 PM

I hope you mean "aides" ;)
Good on you for not giving up.

MichealH
April 14th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Well Done,

I will understand that maybe being in a wheelchair is boring. This could mean something good - you may be walking by the end of this year. But then It will feel like just yesterday you told us that!

Best Wishes to you!

forrestcupp
April 14th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Congratulations. This is great news.

sydbat
April 14th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Major awesomeness!!!

"I get knocked down,
But I get up again.
You're never gonna keep me down!"
- Chumbawamba

Excedio
April 14th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Congratulations man. Much respect. :-)

Tristam Green
April 14th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I hope you mean "aides" ;)
Good on you for not giving up.

He probably means "aids" as in assistance of any kind, not just human assistance :)

Khakilang
December 22nd, 2010, 04:42 AM
Congratulation to you! That is some fighting spirit. Hospital is no place for a Forum moderator. Better get back ASAP.

ken_do_san
December 22nd, 2010, 07:51 AM
Congratulations, remember each small step is that one step closer to your eventual goal.

Elfy
December 22nd, 2010, 08:01 AM
I'm sure that kiwi is sort of pleased that you both found this old thread - I am also fairly sure he would close it.

So - closed unless the OP wants to reopen it - he can both do it himself and find me if needs be ;)