PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] setting default folder location upon SFTP login

KnottyMars
April 7th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Hello,

Ive done some searching on Google and these forums, but I cant find where to set this up.

So i have a fully functional Ubuntu server 8.04 with virtual hosting setup in Apache2 so that I can serve several domains. The server itself runs great, but Ive setup users that are specific to their domains, so:
domain1 = user1
domain2 = user2
etc...

Currently when I login via SFTP I was having trouble until I created a home folder for the user, so it defaults to /home/user1 which is normal, but I want the default location to be:
/var/www/[path to specific domain]

where can i change this default path?

thanks for your help.

cdenley
April 7th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Why not change their home directory to /var/www/[path to specific domain]? As far as I know, the closest thing to a default initial directory is their home directory, or possibly a ChrootDirectory.

man sshd_config

KnottyMars
April 8th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Why not change their home directory to /var/www/[path to specific domain]? As far as I know, the closest thing to a default initial directory is their home directory, or possibly a ChrootDirectory.

man sshd_config

Thanks for the info,

yea, that is exactly what I want to do, since I have several users, this would be set in the users profile info, right?

How would I edit that?

I know how to add a user and delete one, but how would i edit an existing users home dir? :confused:

cdenley
April 8th, 2010, 06:31 PM
sudo usermod -d /var/www/[path to specific domain] username

KnottyMars
April 8th, 2010, 06:32 PM
sudo usermod -d /var/www/[path to specific domain] username

Thanks so much, new to linux and learning bit by bit.

I really appreciate the help!!