PDA

View Full Version : Windows version of a compiz plugin

malachi1990
April 7th, 2010, 08:04 PM
hi!

I'm doing a presentation on linux for my school, and compiz is coming on as a demonstration of things that windows can't do (among other things, of course). But since I don't want to look like an idiot when someone comes up and says, "Hey, windows does that too!" I was wondering if there was a 3rd party app that gives windows the aquarium look from the compiz atlantis plugin.

My search so far has turned up nothing, but that doesn't mean much.

Thank you for your time.

whiskeylover
April 7th, 2010, 08:09 PM
hi!

I'm doing a presentation on linux for my school, and compiz is coming on as a demonstration of things that windows can't do (among other things, of course).

I don't think compiz is an integral part of Linux. Besides, its GPLed. If someone really wanted, they can port the code to Windows.

J V
April 7th, 2010, 08:14 PM
From what I can hear the latest windows (+30 bucks to a 3rd party) will give you a cube, not sure weather it actually functions or not (Multi desktop windows? That'll be the day)

The point you need to make is that everything windows has, it stole from linux.

The XP theme change, the vista theme change, the 7 theme change, were all stolen straight from Gnome, compiz and KDE respectivley (All of which had these at least a year before windows)

If you want to impress, google "Hack school computer" and demonstrate the 30 second route to getting an admin account on windows ;) (Test it first, school security varies)

Gnome Shell would be impressive I think, but you shoulden't focus on flash, everyone thinks windows is flashier anyway... Despite the facts...

Show them a live CD "And this ladies and gentlemen, hasn't been installed yet..."

Show a couple of windows games working (Get someone with WoW to setup their account on it for example)

Demonstrate the package manager, if all this fails, you are in 6th grade :P

Also, If you want to get down & dirty, run multiple Xs, then just ctrl alt F1-F7 your way through them to demonstrate features...

I use terminator as my desktop (Lots of cheap hacks, don't ask) which looks cool... (Screenie follows...)

malachi1990
April 7th, 2010, 08:15 PM
@whiskeylover: True enough, but the point is more linux/oss as a platform.

Part of the presentation quality is focusing on the awsomeness of what can be done. The closest thing on windows that I've found is dexpot, which can give you virtual desktops and a cube, but no atlantis.

@JV: hacking is against the EULA here (yes, I had to sign a EULA to get internet here). That, and it'd be a bad example if the tech support student manager hacked the school from time to time.

Already had the live cd idea, but the trick is that I have to use a projector, and there's no gurantee that VESA/nouveau will be good enough to work both my laptop screen, and what's on the projector.

J V
April 7th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Throught you were a student? ah nvm, besides, they may say hacking is against the rules but the exact proper phrase for it is "cracking" so you can get around it one way or another :)

Psumi
April 7th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Nimi Visuals, google it.

malachi1990
April 7th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I am a student. We have a student manager, and a faculty manager. I handle most student issues, while the faculty manager handles issues with school staff and faculty (obviously, and I report to the faculty advisor, too).

While there are likely ways to get around cracking, and call it hacking, I like the paycheck each month.

@Psumi: thanks!

J V
April 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Wow take a look at the LAG

Make a video of the demonstration while doing it, show the effects at the end, then show the video you made and demonstrate the fact its getting > 60 fps :)

Better yet, make a video showing their jelly windows video, inside wobbly windows, and then look at the date for the compiz plugin and the release date for "nimi" and when someone brings it up, laugh at them diabolically and pop up the video ;)

malachi1990
April 7th, 2010, 08:34 PM

Make a video of the demonstration while doing it, show the effects at the end, then show the video you made and demonstrate the fact its getting > 60 fps :)

Better yet, make a video showing their jelly windows video, inside wobbly windows, and then look at the date for the compiz plugin and the release date for "nimi" and when someone brings it up, laugh at them diabolically and pop up the video ;)

You lost me.

Phrea
April 7th, 2010, 08:36 PM
http://dev.compiz.org/~cyberorg/2009/04/01/finally-windows-users-can-get-compiz-easily/

...oh wait... :lolflag:

J V
April 7th, 2010, 08:37 PM
The nimi effects website has hd vids of their "Product"

My goodness... its 3 fps just moving a window! And when they move it up or down, do we get vertical shakes? No, its all pre-calculated, moving it up and down makes it deform left and right... and often 3 frames (a full second) after the movement was made...

malachi1990
April 7th, 2010, 08:38 PM
@PHREA:Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@JV Thanks!

Chame_Wizard
April 7th, 2010, 11:44 PM
@JV: hacking is against the EULA here (yes, I had to sign a EULA to get internet here). That, and it'd be a bad example if the tech support student manager hacked the school from time to time.

White,Grey or black hat hacking?:guitar:

malachi1990
April 8th, 2010, 03:47 AM
@Chame: technically, grey and black. White hat is allowed only if you show it to the person responsible for the computer, and no one else. At least, that's my understanding of it.

myNimi
April 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Nimi Visuals, google it.
Reference to webpage would be faster by whatever :D Thanks anyway - whatever it has to this place

You seem to like flaming, anyway read below and latest official NV is 20100328 with Jelly Windows 1.5.4.

The nimi effects website has hd vids of their "Product"

My goodness... its 3 fps just moving a window! And when they move it up or down, do we get vertical shakes? No, its all pre-calculated, moving it up and down makes it deform left and right... and often 3 frames (a full second) after the movement was made...
I dunno which version You saw, though assuming that latest:

1. Try to capture HD video(not RAW) on almost 3 years old notebook and perform graphic and use GPU at the same time - for Your information it was recorded with about 17fps record speed. I think it's quite a score.
2. In short: it's jelly not anything else.
2. Pre-calculated? It's 16 point transformation, based upon real-time calculated values. And "up" and "down" (whatever points You want to assign to that) are also changing, but are limited (I would say it's now in "hard jelly" settings)
3. All NimiGPU effects performance is dependent on GPU acceleration and support - I encourage to read more about those in Microsoft Windows (even my notebook doesn't use full hardware acceleration)
3. It's understand fun to flame etc. - but let's leave boundary between two operational systems. (if not, my short answer to all replies: X11 and wonder what it has to all this)

P.s.: I'm not native speaker & didn't mean any offence - I believe we should understand system platforms and those software differences :)