PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Blank screen for MCE install

kr651129
April 7th, 2010, 08:01 PM
So I've been googling this problem and finding a lot of information but nothing specific to my problem.

I downloaded the newest version of LinuxMCE via torrent (Kubuntu) and burned the image to a DVD.

When booting off this DVD everything loads fine. I have the options to install Kubuntu, MCE, run live from the media, test, special options etc.

When I choose either Run live, Install Kubuntu, or Install MCE I get the splash screen with the progress bar as normal.

After it bounces back and fourth then loads 100% I see the DVD reading for around 5 minutes while I have a black screen.

I can't get past this point.

You should also know I'm trying to install this via S-Video on an Nvidia card that is in a Dell with 2GB of ram and an external HDD. But the HDD is not the problem as it's not pluged in and powered off.

When installing Ubuntu this way in the past I could get around this problem by selecting safe mode install from the special options but this image does not provide that. I supposed I could go pull out an old CRT out of my basement but I really would like to know how to get around this before I do all that work.

Thanks for the help in advance.

kr651129
April 7th, 2010, 11:32 PM
bump :(

cor3o
April 8th, 2010, 12:50 AM
ive been having the same problem

kr651129
April 8th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Well last night I pulled the PC and hooked up the CRT to it and tried. Still the same problem, had to remove my video card and use the on board VGA, when it finally installed I then put the card back in an it wouldn't install.

That problem was fixed by booting into the bios and selecting that the video be on board and I then installed kubuntu with no problems.

Once it finally got done installing I double clicked the MCE install link on the desktop. Recieved and error but the system said it was sucesfull, after I rebooted the pc had pulled up in command line so I had to startx which froze(??) up on me or I think it did because it never came up.

So after another reinstall I hooked everything up to the S-Video just to see if the card would work before I tried to solve my other problems and forgot to switch the BIOS back to auto detect so I need to hook it back up to the CRT, ahhhhhh

](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)

kr651129
April 9th, 2010, 07:56 PM
installed everything works fine, but when I run the pc over svideo the bios splash comes up, the ubuntu splash comes up and then when it gets to where Ubuntu should be loading I get a blank screen, ideas?