PDA

View Full Version : CheckIt: verify checksum from Firefox context menu

lovinglinux
April 7th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I have developed a new extension for Firefox that allows compare a file checksum with the checksum posted on the download site.

The extension is pretty simple, but very useful for me. You can simply select the hash number displayed on a site, then select the algorithm and pick a file to compare. The extension will compare the checksum selected from the site with the one generated from the file and produce a positive message or an negative alert.

It supports MD2, MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-384 and SHA-512 algorithms.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_EPRFmO0pKhs/TGalVU_eSAI/AAAAAAAAA7o/x_U5F5V2CL8/s800/checkit-screenshot-001.jpg

Download, Video Demo & Instructions (http://www.webgapps.org/addons/checkit)

Any comments and suggestions will be much appreciated. I hope you like it.

dearingj
April 7th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Looks useful; I'm downloading it now.

lovinglinux
April 7th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Looks useful; I'm downloading it now.

Thanks. Well, I am a suspect, but is really useful for me. I thought about this add-on while I was preparing to download and install Lucid Linx yesterday. I postponed the installation of the OS and created the extension. So here it is.

undecim
April 7th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Very nice. I'm installing it now!

I have the Web Developer plugin as well, so I'll let you know if I have any issues with it.

EDIT: Update:

I installed it and it works like a charm! This will save me a lot of time!

Only problem I see is that it doesn't trim whitespace from the selected area. I tried one hash with and the same one without the trailing tab, but it tells me they mismatch (even though the error dialog shows the exact same hashes, lol).

Another feature that would be great is if the addon would recognize hashes on the page and let you just right-click instead of highlighting (this might even workaround the Web Dev comparability issue... idk)

Again, it's great piece of code, and I thank you for it!

lovinglinux
April 7th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Only problem I see is that it doesn't trim whitespace from the selected area. I tried one hash with and the same one without the trailing tab, but it tells me they mismatch (even though the error dialog shows the exact same hashes, lol).

This should be easily fixable. Could you please provide a link to the hash so I can test it.

Another feature that would be great is if the addon would recognize hashes on the page and let you just right-click instead of highlighting (this might even workaround the Web Dev comparability issue... idk)

What I do is double click over the hash and Firefox selects the entire string. Nevertheless, I guess I could implement that feature. I will look into it.

Again, it's great piece of code, and I thank you for it!

You are welcome. Thanks for the suggestion and bug report.

undecim
April 7th, 2010, 09:02 PM
This should be easily fixable. Could you please provide a link to the hash so I can test it.

at

http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/linux/distributions/archlinux/iso/2009.08/sha1sums.txt

the hash for archlinux-2009.08-core-x86_64.img

I selected the hash and the space (tab) between the hash and file name, which causes a false negative.

Selecting only the hash (or doubleclicking, like you mentioned) works fine though.

lovinglinux
April 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM
at

http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/linux/distributions/archlinux/iso/2009.08/sha1sums.txt

the hash for archlinux-2009.08-core-x86_64.img

I selected the hash and the space (tab) between the hash and file name, which causes a false negative.

Selecting only the hash (or doubleclicking, like you mentioned) works fine though.

EDIT:

:oops: the fix is not working as I thought it was. I will fix this for next version.

lovinglinux
April 7th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I did something really stupid on the allegedly fixed version, but I won't tell :)

Hero of the Day
April 7th, 2010, 09:38 PM
awesome!

lovinglinux
April 16th, 2010, 04:14 AM
CheckIt has been approved by Mozilla, so now you can get updates automatically, through Firefox Add-ons manager. Please install the latest versio to make sure you will get future updates.

lovinglinux
April 29th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Lucid Lynx is about to be released, so I though would be interesting to bump this thread.

Shakz
April 29th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Lucid Lynx is about to be released, so I though would be interesting to bump this thread.

good call!

lovinglinux
April 29th, 2010, 07:40 PM
good call!

Thanks. I hope you like it.

Dupoint
April 29th, 2010, 08:11 PM
This is going to make verifying my .iso downloads at lot easyer. Thank you sir.

lovinglinux
April 29th, 2010, 08:14 PM
This is going to make verifying my .iso downloads at lot easyer. Thank you sir.

You are welcome.

lovinglinux
May 7th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I have released version 1.0.2, which fixes previous compatibility issues, that could result in false negatives.

Download (http://checkit-extension.blogspot.com/)

lovinglinux
July 21st, 2010, 08:15 PM
CheckIt version 1.0.4 has been released today and is available for download through the extension site Stable Channel. It will be available at Mozilla site as soon it gets reviewed by Mozilla editors. It is also available through the Beta channel as 1.0.4rc, but it is identical to the final version.

This version adds compatibility with Firefox 4.0b3pre.

July 22nd, 2010, 12:06 AM
Thank you for all your hard work.

lovinglinux
July 22nd, 2010, 03:58 AM
Thank you for all your hard work.

You are welcome.

lovinglinux
July 26th, 2010, 12:36 AM
CheckIt version 1.0.6 has been released today and is available for download through the Stable Channel. It will be available at Mozilla site as soon it gets reviewed by Mozilla editors.

This version fixes an issue with hash spaces and upper case letters.

lovinglinux
July 26th, 2010, 03:00 AM
There were some issues with versions 1.0.5 and 1.0.6, so they were removed form the site.

Current download is 1.0.4.

lovinglinux
July 26th, 2010, 05:09 AM
CheckIt version 1.0.8 has been released today and is available for download through the Stable Channel. It will be available at Mozilla site as soon it gets reviewed by Mozilla editors.

This version fixed an issue with upper case hashes and spaces.

aboettger
September 16th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Doesn't works in Firefox 4.0b7pre.
I have an empty menu (except "Preferences"). All options are checked.

lovinglinux
September 16th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Doesn't works in Firefox 4.0b7pre.
I have an empty menu (except "Preferences"). All options are checked.

It works. You need to highlight a hash number in a web site to see the options in the context menu. Once you highlight the hash text, go to the context menu and select the desired algorithm, then it will prompt for the file to compare.

lovinglinux
April 8th, 2011, 05:41 PM
CheckIt version 1.1.2 has been released today and is available for download.

Due to requests, the selected hash menu has been moved back to the context menu.The toolbar menu still contains the options to compare files, which has been enhanced. Now is possible to generate hash for a single file, compare a file with clipboard content and compare a file with the content of a txt hash file.

Changelog

moved selected hash test menu back to context
added option to compare file with clipboard content
added option to compare file with hash file
added option to generate hash for a single file
added compatibility with Firefox 4.2a1pre
reduced alert icon size
fixed menu bug

beew
April 8th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Nice job, will use it as soon as there is a chance. You rock!

lovinglinux
April 8th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Nice job, will use it as soon as there is a chance. You rock!

Thanks.

lovinglinux
April 15th, 2011, 07:08 PM
CheckIt version 1.1.3 has been released today and is available for download.

This version fixes some bugs related to uppercase validation and alerts.

Changelog

fixed upper case issues
fixed alerts localization