PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No directory when trying to start host?

1serveyou
April 7th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Hey guys, I know this is a dumb question, but this is probably the 6th reformat of Ubuntu server and I believe this is my first time getting this error.

I type in /etc/init.d/hostname.sh start

and I receive
bash: /etc/init.d/hostname.sh: No such file directory

For hostname I've use "hostname" and my actual hostname, and both receive the same error.

Although when I do hostname is shows the correct hostname but without the the comcast part of it , and when I type in hostname -f, I get the correct hostname with the comcast part of it.

I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong. I appreciate any help!

KB1JWQ
April 7th, 2010, 07:32 PM
/etc/init.d/hostname is the command. There's no .sh there.

cdenley
April 7th, 2010, 07:48 PM
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/s/sysvinit/sysvinit_2.87dsf-4ubuntu11/changelog

sysvinit (2.87dsf-4ubuntu3) karmic; urgency=low

FFE LP: #427356.

* Various initscripts have been replaced by Upstart jobs shipped in
other packages, the following have been removed:
- hostname.sh
- mountkernfs.sh
- mountdevsubfs.sh
- checkroot.sh
- mtab.sh
- checkfs.sh
- mountall.sh
- mountall-bootclean.sh
- mountoverflowtmp
- mountnfs.sh
- mountnfs-bootclean.sh
- bootmisc.sh
- bootlogs
- rmnlogin

-- Scott James Remnant <scott@ubuntu.com> Tue, 15 Sep 2009 02:45:59 +0100

sudo service hostname start

or you can just do

sudo hostname -b -F /etc/hostname

1serveyou
April 7th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I still get the same response. I think I will reformat again haha, I deleted out the nameservers after I got that last error, but can't remember what was there.

1serveyou
April 7th, 2010, 07:51 PM
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/s/sysvinit/sysvinit_2.87dsf-4ubuntu11/changelog

or you can just do

sudo hostname -b -F /etc/hostname

I receive "unrecognized service"

I just reinstalled ubuntu 9.10 server, and getting the same error. I'm following http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu-home-fileserver-p3

Also does comcast normally have a "." at the end of its address?

Thanks again in advance

cdenley
April 7th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I receive "unrecognized serve"

I'm assuming you get that output for the first command. All that "service" does is run the second command I posted. Both commands are installed by the hostname package, which I'm pretty sure is installed by default.

sudo apt-get install hostname

1serveyou
April 7th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I'm assuming you get that output for the first command. All that "service" does is run the second command I posted. Both commands are installed by the hostname package, which I'm pretty sure is installed by default.

sudo apt-get install hostname

I'm sorry I'm not sure which one you mean by first command. I ran "sudo service hostname start", I receive "hostname stop/waiting." Also when you are saying hostname you mean for me to write "hostname" not what I'm using for a hostname right?

cdenley
April 7th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry I'm not sure which one you mean by first command. I ran "sudo service hostname start", I receive "hostname stop/waiting." Also when you are saying hostname you mean for me to write "hostname" not what I'm using for a hostname right?
I didn't give you anything that should be substituted. That is the correct output. As I said, all it does is run "hostname -b -F /etc/hostname".

1serveyou
April 11th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks guys, after playing around with it, I ended up getting it to work. I think I had an IP off or something like that. I've been playing around with Ubuntu Server all weekend(injured my knee so I can't move around too much!).

I finally have working folders that I can view, edit, and execute!