PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Firefox 3.0 not loading properly

justamel
April 7th, 2010, 05:27 PM
System is a Compaq Presario 2100 notebook on which I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 from the Live CD.

Recently Firefox has refused to load (open up) properly. The window opens but the hard drive keeps running and running as though Firefox is still opening.

When I try any of the menu choices nothing happens. On clicking "Close window" I get a not responding message.

Don't know what has screwed up, BUT would like to know if I can uninstall Firefox and then be able to Re-install only Firefox from the Live CD?? In other words, will Synaptic (sp?) Package Manager find Firefox on the Live CD and be able to re-install it, or is the Live CD ONLY useful for making a complete installation from scratch??

Other applications seem to open up/load A-OK, example: OpenOffice WP.

l.billon
April 8th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Hi!

If you do not fear loosing your firefox settings (bookmarks, passwords), you can try deleting the .mozilla/firefox folder situated in your home directory.

By the way, you really should upgrade if possible.

beta.tester
April 8th, 2010, 07:49 PM
System is a Compaq Presario 2100 notebook on which I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 from the Live CD.

Recently Firefox has refused to load (open up) properly. The window opens but the hard drive keeps running and running as though Firefox is still opening.

When I try any of the menu choices nothing happens. On clicking "Close window" I get a not responding message.

Don't know what has screwed up, BUT would like to know if I can uninstall Firefox and then be able to Re-install only Firefox from the Live CD?? In other words, will Synaptic (sp?) Package Manager find Firefox on the Live CD and be able to re-install it, or is the Live CD ONLY useful for making a complete installation from scratch??

Other applications seem to open up/load A-OK, example: OpenOffice WP.
Hi

I would recommend a great add on to Firefox called XMarks. Completely free and customizable. Saves bookmarks and passwords if desired :)

Keep on ubuntuing john

justamel
April 9th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I appreciate the replies to my post, but I most want to know if I can Re-install Firefox from the CD that I used for the original installation of Ubuntu (this is the CD which comes with the "Official Ubuntu Book"). Will Synaptic find Firefox on this CD and re-install it, or is this CD ONLY good for doing a complete installation of Ubuntu???

justamel
April 20th, 2010, 10:28 PM
To close out this thread with a SOLVED, and thankyou to "l.billon". I deleted the Firefox folder as suggested and the a browser now opens properly - I just have to start at square one with bookmarks which is no big deal in my case :-)

Still don't know about using the Ubuntu Install CD to "reinstall" Firefox (or anything else) if needed.