PDA

View Full Version : mobile power

sandyd
April 7th, 2010, 04:59 PM
do you think think that mobile power (i.e. portable generators, battery packs, solar panels) are actually useful, and is it worth it? I myself have 3h of portable generator + battery in the back of my car for work/leisure reasons.

Psumi
April 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer

You're behind the times.

sandyd
April 7th, 2010, 05:07 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer

You're behind the times.

but I need contineous energy transfer :D

Khakilang
April 7th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Do you spend that much time on the road? I don't think there is any power source that can last that long. Not that I know of. Go home.

cariboo
April 7th, 2010, 05:52 PM
It depends on where you live, and how dependable the power is. Since I bought a couple of ups, the power hasn't gone out for more than 1 minute. :)

Where I live, I can be in an area with no power in less than an hour. Most people living in those areas use a combination of solar power and generators, as well as satellite phone and internet access.

Personally, when I'm in a wilderness area, using any sort of electrically powered device is the last thing on my mind.

sudoer541
April 7th, 2010, 07:33 PM
It depends on where you live, and how dependable the power is. Since I bought a couple of ups, the power hasn't gone out for more than 1 minute. :)

Where I live, I can be in an area with no power in less than an hour. Most people living in those areas use a combination of solar power and generators, as well as satellite phone and internet access.

Personally, when I'm in a wilderness area, using any sort of electrically powered device is the last thing on my mind.

I think major cities have less power outages. I remember when I lived in Toronto (aawww I missed Toronto) we had a power outage that lasted for a day or two. Even New York was affected by this... I think it was summer of 2002.

sandyd
April 7th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Do you spend that much time on the road? I don't think there is any power source that can last that long. Not that I know of. Go home.

there are occasionally days where I have to be on the road for 1h+ for my job. the power generators and batteries provide electricity for the mobile workstation in the back of my truck.. (computer, satelite connection, test parts, .etc .etc). a lot of stuff that requires electricity.

cariboo
April 7th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I think major cities have less power outages. I remember when I lived in Toronto (aawww I missed Toronto) we had a power outage that lasted for a day or two. Even New York was affected by this... I think it was summer of 2002.

That's what you get for living in the big city. The last major outage we had was in December 2008, due to an ice storm. The power was out for 16 hours straight.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 7th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Are they useful: yes. Are they worth the cost? That depends on the individual/group paying for them.