PDA

View Full Version : Should I report a TalkTalk salesman why just knocked at my door?

fatality_uk
April 7th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Opinions please?

Scenario.

A salesman from TalkTalk just knocked at my door and happily told me that broadband was now FREE in my area! "Really!" I thought I would play along for a second or two. "How so?"

He said "Well your exchange has just been upgraded and as such you can get free broadband" I knew this meant signing up to a telecom line rental, but anyway I played dumb. "So I get it for free? What do I have to do?"

"Well sir, you just need to switch at no cost to our services under the new government broadband switching service"

At this point I just said "That's not true, there is no such thing, I should know being in IT!"

"Well it's a brand new service and as such.."

I cut him off there.

Now, I know there are a few elderly people living not so far away from my road. The thing is, I know what I am talking about and could dismiss this joker in a second. However, if he hits those doors, I worry that these people will be taken in and possibly switch to a service that they might not want or need.

My gut reaction is to phone TalkTalk and report him but the back of my mind is the fact I don't want to make someone possibly lose a job, not in these economic hard times.

I am pretty sure that I will phone today, but could I just canvas opinions please?

fromthehill
April 7th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Opinions please?

I don't want to make someone possibly lose a job, not in these economic hard times.

if someone made a mistake I'd agree with that. everyone makes a mistake once in a while

in this case it's not a mistake. he's purposely scamming people (probably so he gets more paid by getting more clients). what he's doing is totally unacceptable and he should know it

Frogs Hair
April 7th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hi,

If your sure it's a scam report it. A elderly woman in my area just lost $2200.00 by winning a lottery from the U.K. Lucky that a family member stepped in and saved her another $4000.00.

Megaptera
April 7th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Another vote for reporting him to Ofcom. He's a scammer. I did the same to a plonker from an electicity/gas provider who used a dodgy salespitch with me.
Funny, but no one has cold-called at my door since ...

sydbat
April 7th, 2010, 04:37 PM
This kind of scamming happens all the time here...except that it is for utilities (Direct Energy). They send their "salesmen" out and have them lie to people at the door, trying to get people to sign up for really bad deals. It makes the news here regularly.

Personally, I would call the company and let them know you have called the media as well (even if you haven't). They do not want bad press, so the person who knocked on your door will be disciplined and/or fired. Not a loss of a job, removing someone who knowingly scams people from going door to door.

Khakilang
April 7th, 2010, 04:48 PM
First of all you get his name card and contact him later and than contact TalkTalk to check whether there is such a free service or broadband upgrade in your area. If everything comes out to be true than call him to register after all its free right. Before that check out the "Term and Condition" thing. If not than you have to take the necessary action.

fatality_uk
April 7th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Just got off a call with customer support, who tried to get me to switch to their offer. When I explained that I was happy with my current provider and just wanted to report a salesman's "pitch", I was promptly cut off :|

As our American friends would say, Go figure!

Directive 4
April 7th, 2010, 05:58 PM
yea, report him

rottentree
April 7th, 2010, 07:12 PM
http://broadband.talktalk.co.uk/products/broadband/pro
Free wireless router?

[from main page]
Free connection worth £29.99

I think either you misinterpreted the 'dreaded business lie technique' or the salesman misinterpreted it or just polished it even further.

ugm6hr
April 7th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I wonder if TalkTalk encourage this.

Try ofcom instead - they are supposed to regulate such behaviour.

Although I suspect that "free" and "unlimited" have different meanings in the telecoms world than in the real world.

fatality_uk
April 7th, 2010, 07:18 PM
http://broadband.talktalk.co.uk/products/broadband/pro
Free wireless router?

[from main page]
Free connection worth £29.99

I think either you misinterpreted the 'dreaded business lie technique' or the salesman misinterpreted it or just polished it even further.

I did think at first I didn't hear correctly, but when he said "Well your exchange has just been upgraded and as such you can get free broadband" that lead me to believe that he was trying to use pseudo-technical terms in order for me to understand he is a technical consultant not a sales-guy.

He definitely tried to make it sound as though it was not a TalkTalk offer but a new government initiative that allows free broadband.

But I always try and give people the benefit of the doubt. But the more I think of what he said, the more sure I am that reporting him will be a good thing.

fatality_uk
April 7th, 2010, 07:23 PM

Although I suspect that "free" and "unlimited" have different meanings in the telecoms world than in the real world.

Thanks ugm6hr
I will go through ofcom.

Seems TalkTalk have history on this.

Two saleswomen from Talk Talk knocked at the front door of Mark Peters, pictured, a 31-year-old teacher from Herne Hill, south London, at 8pm on a Wednesday evening. Peters said: “They told me that someone from BT should have been in contact with us, as BT were transferring all their landline customers in our road over to Talk Talk. They said all we needed to do was sign a contract.

And a few others I have just read.

sudoer541
April 7th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Just got off a call with customer support, who tried to get me to switch to their offer. When I explained that I was happy with my current provider and just wanted to report a salesman's "pitch", I was promptly cut off :|

As our American friends would say, Go figure!

I think the best thing you can do is warn your neighbours, and tell them its a scam.
You may also complain to your landlord and see if he/she can do something about it.

Paqman
April 7th, 2010, 07:36 PM

I'm almost certain they do, at least unofficially.

I've had numerous runins with their door-to-door salesmen when I used to live in an apartment block in central London. Their salesmen are the shiftiest bunch of lying scum i've ever dealt with. Often i'd get similar variations on the same line of utter bull from different guys over a few weeks, which proves that somebody is telling these people what to say.

In my experience they're quite happy to pressure the unwary into switching their connection using half-truths, fast talk, and flat out lies.

Report him hard. It probably won't do any good though, there's plenty more where he came from.

tom66
April 7th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't switch to TalkTalk even if it were free given the crappy experience I've had with them.

Probably a scam, why would an "exchange upgrade" allow someone to get free broadband?

lisati
April 7th, 2010, 08:05 PM
This reminds me of something that the Lisati household has experienced.

We had a door-to-door salesman come to our door a few weeks back selling water coolers. Part of his patter implied that drinking water available through the tap ... er faucet ... was bad and had bugs in it like giardia. We were a bit suspicious, because the reticulated water in our area is pretty good and normally safe to drink. Chances are that if there was a problem we'd have heard about it or been sick. The young fellow was politely sent on his way, "not interested" - both times he came round.

Interestingly enough, there was an article in one of our local papers relating how this sort of thing was happening, and that the local council were not impressed.

chappajar
April 8th, 2010, 02:05 AM

+1. Call Ofcom, not TalkTalk.

Megaptera
April 8th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Another vote for reporting him to Ofcom. He's a scammer. I did the same to a plonker from an electicity/gas provider who used a dodgy salespitch with me.
Funny, but no one has cold-called at my door since ...

.... as before ... ofcom.

scouser73
April 8th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Opinions please?

Scenario.

A salesman from TalkTalk just knocked at my door and happily told me that broadband was now FREE in my area! "Really!" I thought I would play along for a second or two. "How so?"

He said "Well your exchange has just been upgraded and as such you can get free broadband" I knew this meant signing up to a telecom line rental, but anyway I played dumb. "So I get it for free? What do I have to do?"

"Well sir, you just need to switch at no cost to our services under the new government broadband switching service"

At this point I just said "That's not true, there is no such thing, I should know being in IT!"

"Well it's a brand new service and as such.."

I cut him off there.

Now, I know there are a few elderly people living not so far away from my road. The thing is, I know what I am talking about and could dismiss this joker in a second. However, if he hits those doors, I worry that these people will be taken in and possibly switch to a service that they might not want or need.

My gut reaction is to phone TalkTalk and report him but the back of my mind is the fact I don't want to make someone possibly lose a job, not in these economic hard times.

I am pretty sure that I will phone today, but could I just canvas opinions please?

Aggressive selling techniques or as I like to call it "Lying though their teeth" means complaints should be made to the company, as such there's probably a third party company involved with the canvassing, so yes you should contact Talk Talk and mention it if people are going to be told lies.

Grez
April 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Contact TalkTalk AND Ofcom. ATEOTD TalkTalk are responsible for any salesman canvassing on their behalf, and they should train their reps properly so that they are not telling lies in order to sign people up.

fatality_uk
April 8th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Actually tried again to speak to someone from TalkTalk again. No go. ot hung up on again. Emailed Ofcom with the details.

Just hoping that makes a difference, possibly not, but I wouldn't want to just leave it.

TalkTalk_support
April 9th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Hi Fatality_uk,
We were concerned to read your recent posts and would like to talk to you about your experience. Given that sensitive information may be involved, please could you email us a blog-team@talktalk.co.uk, and we can take it from there.

Kind regards,

TalkTalk blog team.

fatality_uk
April 9th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Hi Fatality_uk,
We were concerned to read your recent posts and would like to talk to you about your experience. Given that sensitive information may be involved, please could you email us a blog-team@talktalk.co.uk, and we can take it from there.

Kind regards,

TalkTalk blog team.

Private message me with a specific contact address with contact name, email or direct telephone number (Not a non-geo) I will provide the details.

lisati
April 12th, 2010, 07:20 AM
<snip>
Update: http://www.3news.co.nz/Company-spreading-untruths-about-Poriruas-water/tabid/423/articleID/150644/Default.aspx

nothingspecial
April 12th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Did the door to door salesman training course years ago. (Not for Talk Talk I stress)

I completed the course and the first "lead" they sent me to was an old lady, whom I was expected to spend 3 hours plus talking her into spending £3-5000, on something that would bring little to no benefit to her life whatsoever.

I just drove away, phoned the company and said no thanks, cheers for the free training.

The good thing (from my perspective) is that those guys don`t stand a chance in my house. My wife is forever accepting calls from guys who have special deals on {windows,kitchens,roofs,etc} and inviting them round to discuss it.

As soon as they walk in, I say, "I know how this works, I`ve done it myself. You`ve got 10 minutes to explain what you`re offering and how much it is. You are not going to earn a commission out of me today. If that`s what you are here for I suggest you don`t waste mine, or your time. However, if I like what I hear, I may consider buying $i from you in a few days time - 10 minutes start now."

They usually leave.

TalkTalk_support
April 12th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Private message me with a specific contact address with contact name, email or direct telephone number (Not a non-geo) I will provide the details.

Hi fatality_uk,

Have sent you a PM.

Thanks.

sydbat
April 12th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hi Fatality_uk,

Kind regards,

TalkTalk blog team.

Hi fatality_uk,

Have sent you a PM.

Thanks.WOW!!! The power of Ubuntuforums!!!