PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] display problems

p2ranger
April 7th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I have Xubuntu 9.10 running on my old laptop. Dell Inspiron 5100. When I used Ubuntu with Gnome, everything looked find. When I put on Xubuntu using XFCE, it wouldn't display everything correctly. The screen shot attached should explain things.

What never seems to display correctly is the little pop ups / system notification things. The bubble shows, but it is unreadable. There is also a couple of things in the top panel that just show as blue squares, and they shouldn't be.

Again, this worked in gnome, but not with xfce. What could be causing the problem? The display is set to 1024x768. I've tried going lower to 800x600, but that didn't seem to fix it either. Also, the top panel is set to autohide, but doesn't seem to want to hide.

Thanks for any help

Jason

p2ranger
April 9th, 2010, 06:32 PM
bump

Ronin_301
April 10th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Haven't run into that before, but out of curiosity, have you tried turning Compositing on? (Applications -> Settings -> Window Manager Tweaks -> Compositor), The notifications did some annoying things until I did, although they were still readable.

p2ranger
April 11th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Just tried that I and its worse, the whole screen is that undreadable mess. Thanks anyway.

Is there some other display driver I need to look for or something to get it to work?

Jason